Exploding heat lamp

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So much easier to upload from tapatalk. I've never had a problem on my phone. The one time I'm on my laptop :p lol you jinxed me!

Edit: It didn't work the first time, I had to edit and fix it

QUOTE=StimiLove;2383065]I am a bleach blond and have no idea what you just said :)[/QUOTE]

OK like this
21cs3fd.gif

and
6ygto8.gif

ie one of my pictures of a monster hawk moth I found in my garden
opw9j4.gif

Last edited:
Bulbs can explode if a tiny drop of water gets on them. Like a snake goes through his water dish and rubs the bulb, or the bulb glass was weakened by a small droplet of watersplash then explodes later.

Bulbs can explode if a tiny drop of water gets on them. Like a snake goes through his water dish and rubs the bulb, or the bulb glass was weakened by a small droplet of watersplash then explodes later.

Ooo good to know. Ive accidentally splashed water and heard a little sizzle noise. Does it apply for CHEs as well as glass bulbs? How would a snake rub the bulb?

Ooo good to know. Ive accidentally splashed water and heard a little sizzle noise. Does it apply for CHEs as well as glass bulbs? How would a snake rub the bulb?

If the snake can contact it, it will get rubbed.

I've never splash broken a che myself, but I'd definitely avoid any splash with these also.

Water droplets on hot bulbs causes either immediate failure or microfractures that result in failure later.

Holy cow, is that one of the new black ones just come out in the last year or so, I was thinking of getting one, just for aesthetics, black safety guard, black enclosure, black che....

its just an exo terra one. But i dont blame the bulb, i blame the ES fitting. It was a "no name" brand that didn't come in any packaging.

The only failure i have ever had while i was misting a cage and water hit the bulb. Seconds later BOOM!

i almost got 2 years out of it. I dont mind so much that it died, just the way it died and the fire hazard that it could of been.
The problem is, is that we dont know how these items have been treated before hand. If some one drops them in the shop, or shakes them to listen for lose parts etc, it can damage the item before we even buy it - it may have not been faulty when made, but be faulty after purchase. Just the luck of the game i guess.

Hi Lawra, not having a go at StimiLove in any way, but I think you find E.S. stands for Edison Socket which is for screw in type light bulb.
Most bigger eletrical wholesalers will have ceramic fittings to suit Edison Sockets, but you find the a bit more expensive that the e-bay ones.
Regards

i actually had no idea what ES stood for ;) I just took a guess and hoped i got it right :D

I tried, but it just wont bring the photo up :( Its very annoying! If a MOD is reading this, can you tell me why I can't get my photo's to upload on APS any more?

I'm a little late to the party, but anyhow.........

If you're using Internet Explorer 10, there is known issues with uploading pics. The fix is to either use a different browser, or externally hosted images.

For more info, please see: http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/noteworthy-threads-5397/attach-pictures-posts-203763/

last year i bought a lot of ceramic light fittings of a well known reptile brand but were made in china and all faulty. i had one explode in my darwin tank and bits of glass fell through the mesh light caging, then had one explode in my woma enclosure too, even ceramic heat emmiters would stop working, also i noticed the bulbs would blow up within weeks of buying them so i ripped all the ceramic light fittings out and replaced them and never had a problem since and i use clear/ red heat globes and ceramic heat emmiters.

there was actually a thread about the light fittings being faulty, can't remember what it was called though.

p.s i use to use internet explorer to upload pics but it stopped working, so i have now been using fire fox at first it still would not work but now its been fixed and uploads pic's.

last year i bought a lot of ceramic light fittings of a well known reptile brand but were made in china and all faulty. i had one explode in my darwin tank and bits of glass fell through the mesh light caging, then had one explode in my woma enclosure too, even ceramic heat emmiters would stop working, also i noticed the bulbs would blow up within weeks of buying them so i ripped all the ceramic light fittings out and replaced them and never had a problem since and i use clear/ red heat globes and ceramic heat emmiters.

there was actually a thread about the light fittings being faulty, can't remember what it was called though.

p.s i use to use internet explorer to upload pics but it stopped working, so i have now been using fire fox at first it still would not work but now its been fixed and uploads pic's.

Maybe the lights were screwed in too tight, this is why I don't screw my lights into their ceramic ES sockets tight, I think it pays to allow for a little bit of thermal expansion, if you don't and the light expands on being heated (when on) and there is no free play (because the socket will not expand at the same rate or as perhaps as much , them incredible pressures are built up and something is likely to give.

Cages are a MUST too (and I put fine wire based fly screen in the bottom of mine too (to catch any fine slivers of glass if a light blows - never had one blow - yet).

Are you referring the recent thread about dodgey "ceramic" GU10 - ES adapters ?

Last edited:
Maybe the lights were screwed in too tight, this is why I don't screw my lights into their ceramic ES sockets tight, I think it pays to allow for a little bit of thermal expansion, if you don't and the light expands on being heated (when on) and there is no free play (because the socket will not expand at the same rate or as perhaps as much , them incredible pressures are built up and something is likely to give.

The thing is, when you're screwing a metal thread of the bulb against the ceramic thread of the socket, it's sometimes hard to judge how tight or loose you're securing the bulb/CHE.

And the intense heat can also cause the spring metal inside the socket to sometimes warp loosing connection altogether.

I actually had my ceramic heat emitter melt on the weekend! It blew my thermostat and the globe "dripped" what looked like mercury onto the floor of the viv. I'm amazed it didn't cause a fire! :shock:

Mercury has a melting point of -38 degrees so the metal would not be that but it would more than likely be nickel-chromium which has a melting point of 1400 degrees hence the cracked ceramic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back