acting funny after being put in new enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GhamMagsBaird89

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys
I just put my 18mnth old coastal 120cm into a new(secondhand) enclosure 4x2x2 which is a upgrade from his 2x1x1.5. Now I cleaned his enclosure with bleach. Water. Dettol. Water then f10 water again. Now ever since he has beeb in nearly 24 hours and hasn't stopped running around for more then half and hour exploring every inch.
he has eaten today and has been drinking I put his old hides and logs into the new enclosure as a bit of reassurance.
his Enclosure. Is 30 hot end 24 cool end and head reading is 25.5
I was just wondering could it be he is stressed or just loving the leg room or could it be something alot worse.
Dunno if it helps but enclosure used to be home to bearded dragons.
TIA
Graham

My snakes did the same thing I think they're just exploring there new home and checking it out.

Pretty normal behaviour and to be expected. He will settle in before to long.

Very normal. Mine was checking every square inch of the new cage and was also very aggressive and jumpy if i entered his cage. I left him alone for a week or two and he is fine now.

Hey guys. He's still going hasn't slept now for 36hours. Don't these guys need to sleep I'm tossing up putting him back in his old enclosure or should I just wait it out am just Abit worried that he hasn't slept yet

Have you been awake for the last 36 hours watching him? Lol

so 36 hours you haven't slept? Should be fine. Some settle faster than others.

You're over thinking it ;) You should be pleased that he is out exploring, eating, drinking, basking instead of doing the opposite. If he were mine I wouldn't be putting it in the old enclosure as it sounds like he is enjoying it. :) You can also never tell if a snake is sleeping or not because their eyes can't close, so i'm sure he has had some sleep.

Last edited:
Nah but have to wake up every 2 hours ATM with Mi little one so been checking him every time I wake up. But hopefully its just him needing to settle. Did find a small black spider in with him but squashed it before I thought to I.d it that couldn't be it could it

Nah but have to wake up every 2 hours ATM with Mi little one so been checking him every time I wake up. But hopefully its just him needing to settle. Did find a small black spider in with him but squashed it before I thought to I.d it that couldn't be it could it

Please stop freaking out. My gentle, docile diamond python actually BIT ME the first time I upgraded her tank. She was jumpy for days, exploring every inch. It's new territory, they don't know what's in there and it will put them on edge. Give him a few weeks to settle in.

I'm sure it wouldn't be the spider, but no one else can see your pet or knows its habits - if you are truly concerned about the spider, a vet visit is never a waste of time.

However, if this behaviour started immediately upon being placed in the new enclosure, your snake is just checking it out and probably stressing out about its new digs. Make sure it’s got plenty of hides around (add in a couple extra on both the hot and the cold side), keep his lights off (if they are not the heat source) and don’t feed him or handle him for a week or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back