Bearded dragon not growing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wastedgriny

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have had my two bearded dragons for 10 months now and one of them is not growing he doesn't eat as much food as his brother and always seems tired what is wrong with him

Beardys growing slow is normally a really strong sign of incorrect husbandry.

If kept correctly they grow crazily fast and seem to never stop eating.

What size is your enclosure?
What is your enclosure made out of?
What furnishings and substrate is in your enclosure?
How often are you feeding live food and how many at a time?
How often are you feeding greens and what type?
How often are you providing a calcium supplement?
How often do you handle them?
What temps are your cold and hot end?
What is the basking spots temps
What is your night temps?
What type of uv are you supply and how high above the beardies is it?
How old is your uv bulb?
How old are they?

If you answer those questions Im sure well find the problem.

Ben

Last edited by a moderator:
[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Scorps has pretty much covered it. I don't know how many beardies you've kept before but I have have had a few and all but one have been very happy, healthy and are absolute pigs. One of my little centrals I only had for about a year and he had barely grown at all, my lizards are all housed separately and others never had this problem, they were very healthy and all had great enclosures. It turned out he had a few internal problems and probably shouldn't have even made it past the first month or so of his life. He was a bit of a runt you could say but I am glad he could enjoy life a little longer under my care.
If they are housed together I reccomend that you separate them immediately. They don't need to have a friend, they are solitary animals and they like it that way. Some people disagree but in this kind of situation it's obviously not working out.
I'm also curious about their diet, what greens are they getting? [/FONT]

Ill Probably be wrong since I've said it but my bet is they are housed together.
If only i had a buck for the amount of times I read stories about bearded dragons not eating, not growing, damaged eye, tow's, tail and it always seems to come down to the fact that they are housed together.

I purposefully left that out, I keep dozens of lizards and have never had trouble raising them in pairs. (they are placed together by size not sex)

If all the requirements are met there shouldn't be any bullying.

I purposefully left that out, I keep dozens of lizards and have never had trouble raising them in pairs. (they are placed together by size not sex)

If all the requirements are met there shouldn't be any bullying.

Thats great, some of us aren't so lucky haha
I gave it a try once, there was a bit of conflict and a little bite on the arm. Little terrors.
For me it isnt necessary as I dont keep many but it's awesome that you've been so successful with it.

What size is your enclosure? 6.4 ft tank
What is your enclosure made out of? Glass
What furnishings and substrate is in your enclosure? Fake Grass
How often are you feeding live food and how many at a time? once a day around 20- 40 large crickets each
How often are you feeding greens and what type? Cant find any greens in cairns (suggestion of where to buy would be apprecatied).
How often are you providing a calcium supplement? Dust the crickets whenever i feed them
How often do you handle them? around 30 minutes each a day
What temps are your cold and hot end? 30.9 (hot) 24.4 (cold)
What is the basking spots temps 35.6
What is your night temps? room temperature roughly 23 - 25
What type of uv are you supply and how high above the beardies is it? Repti Glo 10.0 UVB
How old is your uv bulb? 1 monthish
How old are they? 10 months
Both shared the enclosure which I have now split them apart

Your basking spot is way to low. It need to be around 40-45c for young dragons and 38-42c for adults.

Rick

What size is your enclosure? 6.4 ft tank

How often are you feeding greens and what type? Cant find any greens in cairns (suggestion of where to buy would be apprecatied).

Seriously no one in Cairns eats salad???
I've never been to Cairns but I find it hard to believe supermarkets don't sell vegies.

Maybe buy some seedlings & grow them.

Mate, there isnt special vegetables.

Look for some care sheets which will show what you can and cant feed them, write down a few things, drive to coles/woolworths/bi-lo/rustys or any of the dozens of fruit and vegie spots.

Cut the vegies into small peices and put them in a small bowl in your animals enclosure.

you should be able to find chinese broccoli (green leafy veg, nothing like normal broccoli), bok choy and rocket at coles, woolies normally have baby endive, and fruit shops generally carry everything good. The only dark leafy veg that is considered bad is spinach because the oxalates in it hinder calcium absorption. Other good additives are green beans, butternut punpkin, carrot occasionally,...i'll pm you a food list, its american so theres a few things that are harder to get here or go by different names.

good move seperating them, i cant house mine together, even letting the girls have sun time together turns out badly,...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back