Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you had a pair of something that were the only two of its kind in existence and would be hellishly expensive would you house them together?

Pythons are for the most part solitary animals so I think they should be kept accordingly.Even if there is the slightest risk why take the chance when it can easily be avoided anyway?

As for keeping a watchful eye on them you would need to be watching them 24/7 as it could happen at any time.

Since Justin was used as an example how would anyone know besides him if over the years he has not had anything untoward happen as a result of keeping pythons together?

Last edited:
Stimi's in WA will occasionally be found together under the same rock or tin etc...

I have heard twice the amount of stories from people who had problems than people who didn't. Many of those people had snakes housed together for years with out a problem and then one day had either a dead snake or a very full one.

In my opinion it's just a matter of time before something happens.

I have heard twice the amount of stories from people who had problems than people who didn't. Many of those people had snakes housed together for years with out a problem and then one day had either a dead snake or a very full one.

The reality I think is it's actually the reverse (much high success rate then failure). The stories on here are nearly always "I had a friend/I heard of this person/ I read this". There isn't many people on here who have lost a snake to cannibalism but as is always the way, when someone makes a mistake or buys a crappy item they speak the loudest about how whatever went wrong is gospel. Fact is there is a risk, how large it is I'm not too sure but I'm positive it's no where what some people proclaim.

Is that an experienced opinion or just personal?

I have found that once a male/female pair of Morelia become accustom to living in the same enclosure, there aren't any problems. It doesn't take long to see if they are unhappy with each other. You'll notice negative behaviour from one individual nearly as soon as it notices the cage-mate. Consistent monitoring should occur for the first few weeks if you intend to house individuals together and you need to be 100% confident on the sexes you have. You also need adequate cage space and hides.

I have a well respected friend in the herp industry who has pythons that have happily co-existed for towards twenty years. The only time anything unwanted occurred was when the male was removed from the cage and the female was keen to be mated. She paced up and down the enclosure scratching her chin in search for a mate.

It isn't for everyone and I would only recommend this for confident competent keepers. Things can go wrong quickly if you are unable to comprehend the animals requirements.

Rams is right as these animals are mostly solitary, but it isn't quite as scary as it all sounds..

I think the only people really qualified to give advice on this, are the people who have or currently keep animals together. If you don't you have zero experience on the matter. The stories and the 'I know a guy...' aren't helpful at all.

To play devils advocate (keeping in tune with the thread)
Can you keep two dogs together? I've never kept dogs so I will just say "I wouldn't. I know a guy who tried it and one dog bit the other. It's just not worth the risk. After all our dogs are like family members"

Last edited by a moderator:
I will ask the question again.
To the people who keep multiple pythons in the same enclosure.

If you had a couple of previously unknown morphs worth potentially a few hundred K once they were producing would you consider keeping them together or not? If not why not?

I will ask the question again.
To the people who keep multiple pythons in the same enclosure.

If you had a couple of previously unknown morphs worth potentially a few hundred K once they were producing would you consider keeping them together or not? If not why not?
I would. Why not? At present there are no albino pythons in WA. If I bred one by chance I would have no problems if it was a carpet or Stimi putting it in with another.
I guess that's why I have no problem with keeping them together now. The cost of animals doesn't phase me, nor is it a requirement as to how I treat them.
I worry about ppeople who would treat an animal based on its worth rather than the value of its life.
To me things going wrong with my pythons housed together is a lot less of a risk than my toddler getting mauled by his grandmothers dog. We still visit his grandmother however.... As the risk is low (but certainly entirely possible and it wouldnt be the first time in history a toddler was attacked by a pet dog that has never shown signs of aggreasion), but my snakes eating each other is a far lower risk in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
When i was starting off around 1968 i was over a guys place and he had a humongous carpet and diamond together in a outside set up which was like a wooden shed with glass panels so they could sunbake.
He through in a dead sparrow and they both attacked it and wrapped each other up, he had fun separating them.
I keep some snakes together ,but i wouldnt recomend it.

When i was starting off around 1968 i was over a guys place and he had a humongous carpet and diamond together in a outside set up which was like a wooden shed with glass panels so they could sunbake.
He through in a dead sparrow and they both attacked it and wrapped each other up, he had fun separating them.
I keep some snakes together ,but i wouldnt recomend it.
I'd never feed in the same enclosure. I always seperate for feeding.... I think common sense goes a long way when keeping animals. Whether or not you are born with such a thing is another topic all together.

I always wonder when I hear the "my friend's snakes ate eachother" stories …did it happen due to factors that have not been considered by the keeper such as… were the pythons properly sexed, are they of similar size, are they fed inside/outside the enclosure, were there sufficient enough hides and/or basking areas, was there sufficient enough room... etc etc. I have not experienced problems housing pythons together but I abide by the “rules” above and exercise as much common sense as I am able.

I will continue to house my pythons together (with caution) as I get a sense of satisfaction and enjoyment from seeing them co-habitate and breed within the same enclosure. I have also noted that the pythons I house together are more active than some others (not all) that I have although this is just my observation of my small collection.

I keep my most prized Morelia together all year round.

Those that i keep together are mainly like that for breeding reasons et, one pair of greens are together year round.
Been keeping groups of bhps and womas together for years, separate for feeding,one male to two or three females works well.

Those that i keep together are mainly like that for breeding reasons et, one pair of greens are together year round.
Been keeping groups of bhps and womas together for years, separate for feeding,one male to two or three females works well.
I thought womas and bhps were the worst to keep together?

I thought womas and bhps were the worst to keep together?

They spend most of the year together for breeding which here is about several months anyway for adults ,its onley about october to january they get fed and are separated at feeding time.

I'd never feed in the same enclosure. I always seperate for feeding.... I think common sense goes a long way when keeping animals. Whether or not you are born with such a thing is another topic all together.

Yes you have to use common sense and supervise proceedings.

I have and still do keep many snakes together, I have seven diamonds in one enclosure of which two are male. Have been like that for years. I keep 6 black childreni together from yearling to seven yr old 1 male three yrs old, haven't lost any. 3 womas a 6ft male 2x3ft females, he has bonked em but not ate them. Can anyone on here actually say they have seen in person two snakes of same species eat each other or does everyone work on heresay. My mates uncle has a friend who knew a guy that heard about two snakes eating each other so it must be true.

both snakes had been probed twice, i bought them as a definate breeding pair at 3 years old.

I spoke just last week to a young lady who was sold a proven breeding pair of carpets from what she believed to be a reputable breeder. A mate of mine, his mate and I all probed the pair as 2 males! Go figure the reptile world eh?

I have and still do keep many snakes together, I have seven diamonds in one enclosure of which two are male. Have been like that for years. I keep 6 black childreni together from yearling to seven yr old 1 male three yrs old, haven't lost any. 3 womas a 6ft male 2x3ft females, he has bonked em but not ate them. Can anyone on here actually say they have seen in person two snakes of same species eat each other or does everyone work on heresay. My mates uncle has a friend who knew a guy that heard about two snakes eating each other so it must be true.
I've seen a dead Stimi after it ate another Stimi. Both juvies..... Not my animals though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back