Run over carpet python and your opinion

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffa

Reaction score
I got a phone call from a good mate that ran over this nice coastal last night. At the moment it is being cared for by a local wildlife carer. There was no blood present, but the animal has certainally recieved a large kink/ buldge a couple of inches above the cloaca. when I rescued this snake (5 mins after it had been hit) it had already slithered a good 10 metres off the road in a nearby garden. with little light I picked it up and it peed on me, hissing and I took this as a fairly good sign considering the circumstances. We examined the snake today (when pics were taken) and had a very active snake with an obvously kinked and swollen broken backbone but had noticed quite a normal display of movement.
Anyway, the carer will keep and monitor the snake for 5 days and then (if still in good condition considering the circumstance) will be taken to the vet to be xrayed for damage and intensity. I was informed by the carer that if the animal cannot be released into the wild then it apparently states in QLD that the animal must be euthanised.
This got me thinking, What if this animal makes a great recovery? No internal bleeding, and shows great recovery in the damaged area. eg flexible movement etc. But this animal cannot reproduce if male (probably not a huge issue). And if it is a female, has complications due to egg development and laying and thus becoming egg bound or impacted etc which would lead to its demise in the wild. It will be probed by the vet also.

So my question's to you my fellow reptile enthuiasts is

Should this animal be euthanised if it makes a full recovery but will likely (by vets prognosis of course) have possible severe complications due to reproduction issues?

Should QLDS laws be changed so that the animal has a second chance to live out its life in captivity?

I just want to make it known that I am in no way of justifying this post to keep or even want this animal.

IMG_20130817_100306.jpgI would also love to hear from snake catchers and relocaters that have dealt with injured reptiles. (firepac) looking at you considering you live in the same area as myself.

CheersAll.
IMG_20130817_100316.jpg

If someone is willing to step up to the plate and take care of the animal for the rest of its life I think it should be able to be kept in captivity. As long as its not suitable for release in to the wild and as long as its not going to be in pain for the rest of its life. Sometimes the laws just don't make sense.

Reptiles can repair broken spinal injuries so this shouldn't be a problem however dead or dying flesh above cloaca could be a problem. Keep an eye on it, don't feed it for at least 6-8 weeks. Hopefully its body is empty of food as it should have only reasently started hunting again. Good luck keep us informed

I would also love to hear from snake catchers and relocaters that have dealt with injured reptiles. (firepac) looking at you considering you live in the same area as myself.

Generally if I get a call to a snake that is known to be injured i will usually pass the call onto another catcher (Kylee) who is a member of the local Fauna rescue group and then she will try to treat and rehabilitate it or give it to Linden (who has the snake you mentioned). As you say it is in need of xrays which will probably be done on Monday.

On the occasions where I rescue an injured snake I make an initial assessment as to its likely chance of survival and rehabilitation and successful release being mindful of QLD laws. Note that I am NOT a qualified vet but base my initial judgement on my experience. If i believe the animal is too badly injured i will euthanaise it on the spot and record it as such on my records.

Should the laws be changed? You could make a case for it but if they were changed who pays for the treatment and rehabilitation? The local vets will treat wildlife free of charge if they believe it can be released but if it is going to be given away as a pet they might not be so keen to do it for no payment especially if the treatment is complex and costly.

I happen to lurk here quite a bit and came across this thread. I thought it would be good to let you know I received an email stating this. I'm assuming it is okay to share this information, if I'm wrong, I'd like it if someone could let me know.

[h=1]Opportunity to adopt wildlife in need of a new home
[/h] The Department of Environment and Heritage Protection has started a trial with the RSPCA that provides members of the public with the opportunity to re-home native Australian wildlife, as well the more traditional domestic pets.

As the holder of a recreational wildlife licence you are eligible to take part in this trial.
Both native birds and reptiles are covered under the trial partnership when they are deemed to be ‘non- releasable’ into the wild. There are a number of reasons why an animal would be classified as ‘non-releasable' such as:

• the area they came from is unknown
  • they were born in captivity
  • they are unable to survive in the wild.
In the past, these animals have been offered to zoos and wildlife parks for educational activities. However, as these animals are common, and many are already found in captivity, they often were not placed and were required to be euthanized.

Under the South East Queensland Recreational Wildlife Re-homing Pilot Program the department will release the animals to the custody of the RSPCA so they can be re-homed with appropriately licenced members of the public.

Wait, what? Just because it cant reproduce, it should just be put down? Is that what you are meaning?

There's no reason it won't make a full recovery but it's sad that it will have to wait until monday before being x-rayed. Should have been done asap.

I think he means that by reproducing complication may occur due to internal damage and therefore can't be released

Generally if I get a call to a snake that is known to be injured i will usually pass the call onto another catcher (Kylee) who is a member of the local Fauna rescue group and then she will try to treat and rehabilitate it or give it to Linden (who has the snake you mentioned). As you say it is in need of xrays which will probably be done on Monday.

On the occasions where I rescue an injured snake I make an initial assessment as to its likely chance of survival and rehabilitation and successful release being mindful of QLD laws. Note that I am NOT a qualified vet but base my initial judgement on my experience. If i believe the animal is too badly injured i will euthanaise it on the spot and record it as such on my records.

Should the laws be changed? You could make a case for it but if they were changed who pays for the treatment and rehabilitation? The local vets will treat wildlife free of charge if they believe it can be released but if it is going to be given away as a pet they might not be so keen to do it for no payment especially if the treatment is complex and costly.

Cheers Firepac. might have to get your details when Kylee cant come to the rescue.
I have offered to pay for the xray if Mark from Orchid valley ends up charging. But you are right in any other snake or wildlife for that matter. Linden supplies rats and time and effort to rehabilitate the animal to their healh for love for release. Should the person who might permanently rehome them make a donation?
Cheers mate

What circumstance would the animal be able to live and not be released? If it's healthy then it can be released, if it's going to die then it should be euthanised. I thought this was the whole point of the rule so that people didn't justify keeping wild animals because of a bogus medical evaluation.

Wait, what? Just because it cant reproduce, it should just be put down? Is that what you are meaning?
No what I mean is if it may cause complications during breeding (mainly female) in the wild that will cause the animal to die. eg egg laying or compaction. etc

What circumstance would the animal be able to live and not be released? If it's healthy then it can be released, if it's going to die then it should be euthanised. I thought this was the whole point of the rule so that people didn't justify keeping wild animals because of a bogus medical evaluation.
Not as simple as that mate, there are examples where an animal may live in captivity but may suffer in the wild and therefore may not be fit to release.

No what I mean is if it may cause complications during breeding (mainly female) in the wild that will cause the animal to die. eg egg laying or compaction. etc

OHHH... don't mind me... but yeah the new program would be good with all of that and at least they would be getting proper care, but what about wild snakes and food? Are they hard to try and get to feed on fresh dead rats?

OHHH... don't mind me... but yeah the new program would be good with all of that and at least they would be getting proper care, but what about wild snakes and food? Are they hard to try and get to feed on fresh dead rats?

Our local catcher has had no probs with fresh frozen, but can and will use live if needed to rehab an injured snake. I did originate from NSW and believe that wires used to permanently rehome snakes to the public if they could not be released (large portion of tail missing) i think.

I had a number of not to be released wires snakes including Elapids. Most were kept in outdoor pits and if I felt they were rehabbed enough and wild survivable I would endeavour to release them. I enjoy keeping but I enjoyed releasing ten fold

We dont have same laws or benefits you do
No real restrictions but no free vets either for wildlife

Get in a fair few run over snakes
Head injuries are my choice
I decide almost immediately if they will live or die and proceed according to my descision

Broken spines I euthanise

Broken ribs I dont usually so long as stomach and lung appear good
these are the nasty ones
can cut and trim ribs and snake looks fine
few weeks later still looking good
bang a feed into them and three days later peritonitis and one dead snake

putting it bluntly it rips us all apart when it happens
especially me because I know that in Aus I could have saved it

Fairly accurate estimate would run fatalities from run overs we see at 80%+
decent vet could drop that figure to around 55% I think

very big difference in survival rate for pythons and colubrids/vens too
Pythons seem to have much lower metabolisms
Can survive much longer without tucker
Gives body longer time to repair itself

Sadly, the chances of survival after a spinal crush injury above the cloaca are almost nil. It may live for weeks, or even months following the event if significant internal organs are undamaged, but it is likely to succumb eventually.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back