Newbie with Georgetown Stimsons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gemnfert

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been on the site for ages, just lurking, but only just recently picked up my first snake.

She's a Georgetown Stimpson, apparent birthdate given was "2011" - so pretty broad date range ;)

In keeping with suggestions made throughout multiple threads here, I didn't handle her for the first week, and when I gave her her first meal in her new home (pinky rat) she was leisurely in her approach, but happily snarfed down her meal :)

I was hoping to get to handle her a couple of days after feeding her, but when checking on her before handling, I saw she had started to prepare to shed! *rolling eyes*

While in shed, she refused her next meal, which was not entirely unexpected.

She has now, finally, finished her shed - giving me a nice complete skin to check :) I'm planning on giving her a meal this evening, to make up for the missed/refused meal... even though it means no handling, still, for a couple of days.

I'd rather not handle her with the children up and about, at least until she's used to them (I have three boys on the autism spectrum, and two friends staying over with two very energetic girls)... so, should I wait until she's eaten (and thus less grumpy since she gets snippy when she's hungry) or handle her a bit before feeding her, and give her a meal afterward, or wait until she's feeling more replete?

I'm not an expert but I don't see why you can't handle her for a little bit and then feed her tonight, unless she gets stressed out when you try to pick her up then maybe just wait till shes digested her next meal :)

No matter how much I'd love to handle her immediately, I didn't want to stress her out too much, so gave her a yummy pinky rat meal.

She was immediately interested, but didn't start until she was given lots of room. As soon as she got that room, she dove straight on in, then took her prize into her hide, here she currently remains with her tasty morsel.

I would seriously love to take photos, but really do need to get a better handle on my camera/lens situation!

Finally someone who read's before owning a snake!

Congratulations on your purchase by the way I'm usually not an Antaresia fan but I just bought a pair of Tennant Creek Stimmies possible het for T+.

I usually don't handle mine the day before or the day of feeding but then again everyone does things differently. Aslong as he's eating and not stressed I don't see a problem :)

I've desperately wanted reptiles for decades. Initially I couldn't (my family moved to New Zealand so snakes were out LOL) and then... it didn't seem the right time.

However, things have changed around here recently. My oldest (now 9) was fine with snakes last year... the local zoo have an opportunity for people to hold/touch a python, and he was fine with it. This year, we went to a different zoo, and he refused to go near the snake and handler, saying the snake was going to hurt him, and that it was poisonous. No amount of logic could convince him otherwise. So... I figured it was the sign that it was finally time. After only a couple of days, he'd already lost his fear and after a week, he started showing an interest in what Georgia was up to. :D

I'm in serious need of getting some confidence in handling her. I'm fine while holding her, but worry that I'll stress her while picking her up... which of course translates to less confidence on my part, so a higher likelyhood of stressing her :\ Just because I know I'm screwing myself over doesn't mean I'm able to change my ways just yet! Give me some time and experience and I should be good :)

Congrats on your first snake, and well done on reading up about them before you got her. :D

I don't handle mine on the day I feed (especially my young one) or for 2 or 3 days days after, I think you've done a good job so far letting her settle in, so I'd just get her out when she's cruising around in her enclosure, or you can even open her tub/enclosure and let her slide onto your hand that way.
its only time and experience that will get your confidence up, it took me 5 weeks or so to actually get the courage to hold my first snake after I got him, though he was a 5 foot adult MD. Lol

Thanks for the reply Snapped :) Unfortunately, I've picked up a dirty great case of the flu, so I've been unable to handle computers, let alone Georgia. I've had a friend visiting, helping out while I've been sick, who brought her out yesterday for some handling. She was NOT a happy snake! Very snippy, lots of lunges and a couple of good bites. After a few minutes of just sitting there with her, she started to settle though. I had her put back while she was feeling a bit more relaxed.

I was a little surprised that she went straight to her log perch rather than under her 'rock' house, as she goes to her house when she is stressed, and I thought that she'd be a bit stressed by it.

Today, she came out again. A little snippy, but nothing like yesterday. No bites, a few lunges when something unexpected happened (someone walking by with washing basket), but settled nicely. When put back, she initially didn't want to go back, which I took as a good sign. Once she decided to go home, she headed straight for her branch, even before we managed to close the door.

I do have one question though. I'm a bit worried that if I handle her now, she may potentially get a respiratory illness - I know certain animals, like ferrets, can catch the flu from humans. I just don't know if this is an issue with snakes. Should I continue to avoid holding her until I've recovered? I must admit, I'm not sure that she'd deal well with a coughing fit, so I may leave it at least until this cough is gone.

No need to worry we can't pass on the flu to reptiles. Respiratory infections in snakes are due to poor husbandry not a virus. Glad to see someone who has done a bit of research before purchasing.

As with confidence, it comes with time. I am still new to owning as I have only owned a python for a bit over a year. My first was a gorgeous 3 year old 1.4 metre woma. I was a bit worried to handle him initially as it had being a while since I had held a python. He was and still is a perfect gentleman when he isn't hungry and has taught me so much in the time I've had him.

With handling keep it short and sweet and most tend to calm down with age and size.

More apologies for the delay in replying. This bug has a major grip on me alas, and computer time is too exhausting to do for any length of time.

Georgia seems settled. Last night she handled eating while children were watching (she has been shy up until now, more interested in watching people watching her than in eating) and dug in as if she hadn't eaten in months instead of the 7 days since her last meal.

I wasn't sure if she'd want to eat or not, considering I handled her Friday night. I wasn't planning on it, but things fell into place for some handling time.

Even though her tank seems to be the right temp she found a new favourite place to sit - on the cable for the temperature sensor. The area she stays is right next to the heater, so I'm guessing she's feeling that 30.2oC isn't quite warm enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back