reptile in pet shops

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjryan

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Do people thing the price of reptile in pet shops are good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering they have to pay for: Reptile off the breeder, lighting, heating, hides, food, substrate, rent, store fees, employee fees, and all that that have to sell the animal for a bit more to cover the costs while making a profit. Yes some products are more expensive like aspen wood shaving for example. 19.50$ at pet shop, 14$ produce store. But in terms of reptiles yes they a bit more pricey, but if it is what you are looking for, go for it. Too many commas I know ;)

Considering they have to pay for: Reptile off the breeder, lighting, heating, hides, food, substrate, rent, store fees, employee fees, and all that that have to sell the animal for a bit more to cover the costs while making a profit. Yes some products are more expensive like aspen wood shaving for example. 19.50$ at pet shop, 14$ produce store. But in terms of reptiles yes they a bit more pricey, but if it is what you are looking for, go for it. Too many commas I know ;)

You are right in what you say but pet shops will a lot of the time buy a whole clutch and get them cheaper than what an individual snake will sell for. They also will feed the snakes a bit less than what someone would that has just bought a snake but overall you are right.

Pet shops serve a market that direct sales generally dont. They allow tyre kickers; are at a fixed address with some permanency;availble regularly at predentermined hours; have made committment via appropriate licencing; trading "above board" and paying taxes whilst contributing to societies economic viability. Some buyers are happy to pay a preminm for that. Some dont, and will continue to prioritise purchases by pricing. It amazes me that some feel so threatened by giving the market choices.

If a pet shop had an animal I was after and had a pattern I liked etc, as long as it was in good health and cleanliness of the enclosure was there, I wouldnt hesitate paying a bit more from a shop.

Pet shops serve a market that direct sales generally dont. They allow tyre kickers; are at a fixed address with some permanency;availble regularly at predentermined hours; have made committment via appropriate licencing; trading "above board" and paying taxes whilst contributing to societies economic viability. Some buyers are happy to pay a preminm for that. Some dont, and will continue to prioritise purchases by pricing. It amazes me that some feel so threatened by giving the market choices.

In Queensland you can not get a lot of species and it has only been fairly recently with specialty shops like scales and tails that you can buy other reptiles than fairly standard ones. I would not hesitate either paying a little more for a reptile from places like that if they had what I wanted.

Last edited:
I think its a great thing because buying a reptile you can see and not have to wait for it to be freighted to you is better then buying a sick reptile or buying off a keeper with no idea. I know first hand a reptile in a pic can be 10 time different in person. So for me i love reptile so im happy to pay a little more to get a happy and healthy reptile. I do hope over time the laws change and shop that are licence can hold and sell more reptile species

I will never buy a reptile from a pet shop.

Breeders are a better source.

I know the pet shop i go to when they get the licence they will b buy of well know breeders so it will be the same as buy from the breeder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back