"No time wasters please"

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bdav70

Can someone explain to me the "no time wasters please" comment on what seems like every reptile classified.

Now i'm no expert, but if retail or car salesman wanted to refuse talk to anyone unless it were a guaranteed sale, they'd soon be told where to go.

I'm certainly not talking from any bad experiences, but what's up with that? How bad could the herp customer fraternity possibly be??

I would also like to know because some breeders don't have pics of every hatchling so you can pick one out. What if I make an appointment to go have a look at the hatchlings and I don't like any of them. A snake is a purchase that will last 20-30 years so I would rather pick something that I am happy with and the no time wasters thing really puts me off even contacting the breeder.

i thought time wasters meant people who ask for things to be held, then want ann extension, and another extension,..and then after a few months decide they changed their mind

im sure most breeders are more than happy to provide pics.

people who don't have the time to spend a few hours on sites and have very busy work schedules... just my opinion

Only ring or email or text if you definitely want to buy. If not don't waste my time. TRUST ME .

(I think)

Personally, I'd never buy a reptile without first seeing it and how it behaves and responds to me the breeder and other animals. Guess that makes me a time waster hey .

Last edited:
No mate that makes you a responsible pet owner.

Thats fair enough if some ppl are asking for holds and then breaking their commitments but I'm a man of my word and if I was to ask a breeder to hold an animal I liked I would pay for the animal in full and I would offer the breeder some extra cash for food/electricity and to show my appreciation.

It's not complicated, if you're not cashed up and ready to buy don't enquire. The herp world is full of people who don't seem to have anything better to do than pester sellers for info and pics when they don't have any money and have no intention of buying the animal they're asking about.

It's normally buyers who have never sold a herp that complain about this request also :lol:

You want an example of one? This is an actual example.

July 26
Him -Hey wondering if you have any of the qld BHP available and how much they where

July 26
Me - Hi ***,Yeah I have a few available at the moment.They are around 6 months old and are $400ea or $700/pair.

July 26
HIM - Could I get a pic plz

July 26
Me -There is a pic of a bunch of them together in a tub on the main page.You are welcome to choose from what's available in person.

July 26
Him -I seen the pic they are beautiful. I will get back to you. Thanks

July 26
Me - No worries.Much easier to pick on in person than it is by photos.

July 27
Him -Im still interested in the bhp but dont have transport lol.

July 27
Me -Is Bellambi any good to you? I will be down that way in a week or two.

July 27
Him -Can u inbox me the link to ur site

July 27
Me -What site? This is the only other one I have is **********

July 27
Him - To ur ******* site sorry

July 27
Me - I don't understand what you are asking.This is *******

July 27
Me -??? So is Bellambi any good to you?

July 27
Him -Sorry my fone was dead. Yea bellambi is good. Whats dsys will u be down because mondays are the only day im free

July 27
Me - I guess I could make it on a Monday but it wont be this Monday maybe the one after.You could always get a train up to ********* if you want one earlier.

July 27
Him - I may be able to come up this monday coming up. For a look

July 27
Me - I have plans for this Monday so wont be available.

July 27
Him -How is tuesday

July 28
Me - Yeah Tuesday afternoon would be ok.I am working at ********** so could meet you there.

July 28
Him - Ok where bout in ********* will we be meeting

July 28
Me - After 1pm would be good.Can see you at ***** street it's just near the railway station.

July 30
Me - Hi ****,
Are you still on for tomorrow? If so have you got a rough time? You can call or txt me when you are on your way if you are coming.

July 30
Him -Was just in the middle of writing to you lol. Im actually back at work tomorrow so I wont be able to come up so sorry. But im tryin to sort something out for the coming weeks

July 30
Me -No worries just let me know when you get some time.Don't forget I will be heading down your way in a week or two.

August 10
Me - Just getting in touch to see if you are still after a bhp

August 10
Him -Not at the moment mate sorry.. I got an adult pair and un the middle of moving house. Sorry

Thats understandable but what if someone has the cash and is ready to go but they would like to select an animal that is right for them. I am in the process of setting up my first enclosure and when I'm ready I will start contacting breeders and shopping around. I don't plan on wasting anybodys time I just want to find the snake that I'm gonna put the next 20 years of my life into looking after its a big purchase for me and its not because of the price its because of the commitment. I have seen in the for sale threads some ppl saying the snake is on hold and then a week later they are available again and I understand the frustration some breeders might have. I just hope the first person I contact has the right snake for me :)

Wow now I understand what time wasters means lol thats pathetic people should stick by their word. Is that a regular occurance ramsayi? I feel sorry for you if it is and I understand what it means now

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow now I understand what time wasters means lol thats pathetic people should stick by their word. Is that a regular occurance ramsayi? I feel sorry for you if it is and I understand what it means now

Yeah it happens quite a bit.Over the last couple of years it does look to be getting a lot more common as well.I have quite a few other examples here as well.

Or you get a txt which reads "how much are they".Trouble with that is I have no idea what type they are asking about. Or they txt and ask you to call them!

A lot also make enquiries which is fine but they tend to ask one question at a time and before you realise it there have been 10 or 15 emails each way with the end result being no more contact with the person making the enquiry.I fully understand why sellers highlight "no time wasters".

I don't know about Rams but for me over 50% of people who respond to adds are just wasting my time. The reasons vary but in the end the person was never really ready to buy an animal. It's too easy to send a massage or e-mail, I think you could cut out a lot of idiots by making contact by phone only.

You want an example of one? This is an actual example

OK, so i can definitely see how this would be frustrating. You did everything right. Holding the animal and not following up is pretty low. These two would be in the definite no-no pile.

But agree with Newhere. I'm in the same boat. I own a viv + click clack and are nearly fully set up. Have a bunch of mates nearby who own snakes and am ready to take the plunge come the new year for a hatchling. I haven't made any direct contact with breeders yet but must admit, the 'no time wasters' makes me feel a little self-conscious. And as a few have said, I certainly don't want to make (hopefully) a 20 year commitment with an animal i'm not certain about

Yea I fully understand now and thats a good way to weed out those ppl that haven't put the time and effort in to knowing what the snake requires and how to look after them properly. I agree with the phone calls only suggestion and I reckon you guys should just tell them the price and the sige/age and include some pics and if someone contacts you then you should tell them to come and have a look at the snakes if they have any more questions. Once you tell ppl that only the serious buyers will come and check them out. As breeders do you guys mind if people come and check out your snakes and pick and choose which one they like best?

OK, so i can definitely see how this would be frustrating. You did everything right. Holding the animal and not following up is pretty low. These two would be in the definite no-no pile.

So given how you can see a problem how does a seller separate the tyre kickers from the genuine? Unfortunately because of the professional time wasters nearly all random enquiries are treated as suspect,especially the ones that send some vague txt message or the ones that don't put their name on emails and PM's or take very much time or care in constructing a sentence.

Perfect example there Ramsayi. That was actually so familiar that it's scary.

You are not alone Echiopsis, I would say only half of people who contact me end up meeting to view animals or begin organising permits, etc.. It can frustrate the absolute hell of someone trying to sell a nice animal for a reasonable price.

The ugly cousin to the illusive time waster is the haggling of price guy - AKA the tyre kicker. These guys are convinced they will get you down even when the advertisement states "set-price".

Last edited:
I feel as though a lot of your time wasters may be kids based on the 'not having transport' example, and poorly formulated texts and emails. Sounds to me like they are the types that are old enough to hold an interest and do a little research, but possibly not necessarily have the means of transport, funds, a parent to sign off their license, or even determination to follow through with what sounded like a cool idea. Maybe that filter gets you somewhere

I don't believe that putting the words in the add actually cuts the number of people who will stuff you around, so I don't bother. As a seller, I'd really like an actual name for the person with whom I am corresponding. Usernames are unhelpful. I wish people would read the part where it says "no swaps" and believe that this is the truth. It becomes tiresome.

I've had people desperate to swap game consoles and electronics and never give up till you block them:|
That must be pretty damn annoying, spending so much time preparing then them saying they don't longer want it :evil:
I am awaiting an email from a school that said they would get back to me after the DSE gives the license to them about 2 months :|

I feel as though a lot of your time wasters may be kids based on the 'not having transport' example, and poorly formulated texts and emails. Sounds to me like they are the types that are old enough to hold an interest and do a little research, but possibly not necessarily have the means of transport, funds, a parent to sign off their license, or even determination to follow through with what sounded like a cool idea. Maybe that filter gets you somewhere

Not in the example I posted.The person finished school nearly 10 years ago and is working.Whatever filters that you could use would result in genuine people getting caught up and not getting a response.
The problem has resulted in me hardly ever advertising, instead relying on word of mouth.

It goes both ways though, there are a whole heap of ads on here and other classified sites which are vague on details which makes me wonder if it's actually the seller who causes a lot of "tire kicking" and mass question askers. Don't get me wrong I have had my share of tire kickers over the years but I think it can sometimes be a combination of both parties.

Here's an example of a professional tire kicker who called me regarding a snake rack I was selling, mind you all of the details were in the ad along with pictures,dimensions,how long I had it and my reason for selling as well as my location- This is how it went.

Him- Do you still have the snake rack that you listed for sale?
Me- Yes, it's still available.
Him- Where are you located?
Me- As stated in the Ad I'm located on the Central Coast
Him- Can you deliver to my house in Western Sydney?
Me- No, I can't deliver it.
Him- Will you meet me half way?
Me- No, pick up is from my address only
**Heres the best part**
Him- If I pick up can you chuck in for petrol :|
Me- Buddy go and censored. And hung up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back