Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whealy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all I was just chasing some info.

Im looking at getting my first snake soon an having some trouble deciding which way to go.

I have had minimal experience with snakes before ( not keeping ) but I do relocate snakes for free in my home town

I was looking at a bredli but my cook thinks that the size they grow to is too big. Now im not going to argue the point with her because it has taken me 2 years to convince her to let me get one to begin with.

Now I don't want to get a snake for the sake of having a snake so I'm not going for one that does not appeal to me.

I don't have much interest in the children's , spotted or stimi ( not to say they arnt a great snake they just don't appeal to me )

So basically I'm looking at something that will grow to around the 2m mark but most "breeds" I have looked at are either max out at 1.5m or average 2.5m I'm just wondering if there's any thing I missed that would be in that range.

Thanks

whealy

If you don't want any of the Anteresias you will probably have to get a carpet but they all get to at least 2m providing they have been looked after and fed properly so you might have to do some convincing lol? Or wait.... Maybe a woma? They just went to a basic license in Victoria as well :)

Bredli get to a minimum of 2.5 as an adult don't they ?

Oh one thing was ( I know each snake is individual ) a good handler.

I think I would have to do more than suck up lol

Mate the thing about snakes is, you grow with them. Get a hatchling and it will take years for it to get to 2m long. Most Morelia will normally get to around 2m, Yes they can get bigger, but once they get to this size, their growth rate slows down considerably so it will take a long time for them to get bigger than that.

My 7 year old diamond is at 2.1m and she is still very easy to handle and house.

Yeah they do mate but I've got a bredli and it's the most placid animal I have even my old girl who was a snake phone asks me to take it out or her when she comes over haha. You need to take your partner to a good pet shop or someone that has one preferably a good handler and all the convincing will be done haha

Phobe*

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a look at womas. They're awesome :)

PS: cook?

Cook = Mrs :)

So an average size for a bredli would be about 2m then ?
Obveiously there be cases where they get much bigger or smaller but just an average.

Im thinking of just getting it because by the time it hits 2m I don't think she will notice another half meter lol

Cook = Mrs :) , talk like that where I live would result in one living on Pot Noodles for the next six months. On a serious note as Lawra mentioned Woma's are superb but for me if I had to choose one I think it would be one of the Carpets, mines watching me as I type this. Its already been said but get a youngster and you really do 'grow with' the snake.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

It's all good lol I she loves me

She is always telling me to get out from under the bed and fight like a man........

but enough of that lol I do like the womas but not as much as the darwins or bredlis.
( and gtp but who can't like them lol ) just the colours and patterns on the carpets

Last edited by a moderator:
Bredli are the best just get a hatchling and as it grows the cook will grow to love him aswell when it gets to 3m then you tell her you were told they dont usually grow this big we must have a special snake then she has to be ok with it...lol...good luck mate....

Well I'm sort of starting to think that but if I get caught out lol.

Happy wife happy life applies here lol

if you get a hatchy bredli it will take years to grow and your mrs will probably get used to it in that time if it has an okey temperament otherwise darwins and jungle max around 1.8-2M :D

darwin, woma or spotted would be my choice

Rough scales and jungles have been suggested they may be smaller but tend to have bigger attitudes and rough scales are on an advanced license in Victoria

I know each snake is an individual and I did look at the jungles ( love them patterns ) hell I was even looking at a gtp. I'm not sure how to write this without starting something.

But for my first snake I want one that is more commonly known as being placid.

I don't mind the look of the roughies I have just never seen or held one.

But after reading this lol.

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/green-tree-python-handling-109366/

nah better not lol . I really think it will be a bredli tbh

I read 100 "Don't get a jungle they are snappy" comments, but I'm glad I didn't listen - I wanted what I deemed to be a stunning snake that didn't get too large and I selected a Jungle from a reputable APS seller/member - and I've never looked back.

I think a lot of how a snake reacts to you, depends on how you respect it. I have NO DOUBT that I would have been bitten a thousand times over if I didn't respect Moose. But because i move slow, never startle him, handle him with care and respect, he only ever tagged me on day 1, when I got him out of his travel box.

I think that yes, some species are known to be more defensive that others, but their are always exceptions to the rule. You could get an agro children's python, after 50 people tell you they are docile.

I do believe that they are a product of their environment and their handling plays a big role in that (an example is my ex's Bredli is an absolute puppy dog, you could do anything with him and he would never look at you sideways - we always handled him slowly and respectfully. Fast forward to the vet handling him, BANG, he struck her several times - the way she handled him left me with my mouth hanging open - it was horrible)

Go with your gut - if you find a snake you love, get it :)

I agree that if you start with a hatchling your wife will adjust to the size without much notice as long as she sees it on a regular basis. The growth happens over a period of time so it won't seem that bad as it grows. I got my boa as a hatchling and no one would believe she's really 6ft now since they've watched her grow...I would have to tell them she's that big(not going to though...lol) :)

Yeah I have been looking at jungles more and more . I have. Spoken to many and some say that their animals are fine to handle and others that are a bit cranky. But in saying that that's the same with any snake .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back