Toilet Training?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawra

Come here Squishy!
Reaction score
Does anyone else think that it's possible to toilet train herps? I am unsure myself, but have noticed that Steve doesn't poop in his enclosure anymore, but as soon as I take him outside he will go on the lawn.

I only thought about it last night when I took him out last night for the first time in a couple of days and proceeded to spray (yes spray!) pee all over his sofa and do a huge poo Maybe because he's used to being taken out and put on the lawn?

Haha well I'm glad I've got my timing right then! Since he's on bigger food items it is so much better that he's only pooping outside :) In saying that, I also never realised how much he peed - and how far it could spray! Was an eye opener for sure haha.

out of all of my snakes (BHP, SWCP, Stimi's and Woma) the Woma is the WORST for toileting :D She craps in her hide and simmers in it. The filthiest animal I own! Lizards and geckos seem to make a mess as far from their hide as possible though....

Keep elapids and you'll realise you can't toilet train a snake. Pythons hold it so long in their tank because they're so inactive, take them outside to move around and it gets everything going.

out of all of my snakes (BHP, SWCP, Stimi's and Woma) the Woma is the WORST for toileting :D She craps in her hide and simmers in it. The filthiest animal I own! Lizards and geckos seem to make a mess as far from their hide as possible though....

Haha ewww! That's gross. I'm lucky I have a princess of a snake then haha.

Keep elapids and you'll realise you can't toilet train a snake. Pythons hold it so long in their tank because they're so inactive, take them outside to move around and it gets everything going.

Makes sense :) does that mean when he gets into his bigger enclosure he will start crapping in his enclosure again? He seems to only do it when he's fully stretched out.

Not necessarily, if you stop getting him out so often he'll go in his enclosure now. If you keep getting him out at the right times he'll keep going on the grass.

Does anyone else think that it's possible to toilet train herps? I am unsure myself, but have noticed that Steve doesn't poop in his enclosure anymore, but as soon as I take him outside he will go on the lawn.

I only thought about it last night when I took him out last night for the first time in a couple of days and proceeded to spray (yes spray!) pee all over his sofa and do a huge poo Maybe because he's used to being taken out and put on the lawn?
idk, but moccona is the same but only does it on my bed.... and sometimes me!. I've kind of been wondering the same thing. I do want to take her outside, but im not overly confident...:|

Last edited:
It's not because of routine, it's because the snake is agitated - if you keep handling them, you're forcing them to move far more than they'd otherwise do. They don't have the same regularity anxieties as humans have, or keepers have for their snakes. The large amount of liquid they pass is also due to the fact that they have unlimited access to water in their enclosures - in the wild they may only drink every few months during dry times, so are far drier internally than their wild counterparts.

Jamie

Sorry I didn't see this post earlier. Do you believe you've successfully toilet trained your herp? If so, I'm pretty interested in finding out more.
Yep, they all hold on when out until I slip some paper towel under their bottoms to do poos , never disgraced themselves on the lounge, the beds, or the carpet.

They get wrestless when I've got them out for some quality time and they need to go , and want to get off me , or go back in their enclosures , so if they are being wrestless , I slip some paper towel under their rear ends and they nearly always deliver a smelly pressy, then they are happy again and content to stay put..

Last edited:
Yep, they all hold on when out until I slip some paper towel under their bottoms to do poos , never disgraced themselves on the lounge, the beds, or the carpet.

They get wrestless when I've got them out for some quality time and they need to go , and want to get off me , or go back in their enclosures , so if they are being wrestless , I slip some paper towel under their rear ends and they nearly always deliver a smelly pressy, then they are happy again and content to stay put..

I think it still comes down to what jamie said about movement while handling.

Maybe a silly question but what about pee? My woma would put a male dog against a tree to shame with quantity and projection. I find he pees then the poo follows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back