Is this gecko overweight?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jufooty

Reaction score
This Oedura is 8-9 months old. It is the dominant gecko housed with another of the same age, the other one is much smaller. I feed them quite a lot so the less dominant one doesn't miss out but maybe this one is getting too fat for it?

IMG_2398.jpg

cheers

Unless it's gravid, which is unlikely at that age one would think, then yes, it's overweight.

looks fine, but if your worried about over feeding him and under feeding the smaller one then try feeding them in tubs for you can monitor their food intake.

Last edited:
Nice and healthy, as Josh mentioned above. However, I would separate the two so that the smaller one gets an appropriate food intake.

Thanks, I guess I'll continue as I have been doing. I can't separate them due to the complex enclosure I have set up, it is too difficult to catch them without taking everything out.

Seriously? Wow...

jufooty, it does not matter how "complex" the enclosure is, you need to get the smaller one out so that you can separate the two. Otherwise, it won't last very long at all.

It cant be that complex that you cant take out one gecko, just do it at night when hes out. Seriously you cant be that stuborn when it comes to taking care of youre reptiles

Nice and fat - good for eating :)
I had the same issue with domination geckos with my marms - my male was very skinny. As soon as I got the male out of there he fattened up and is much more active. Separation Is for the best.

Thanks, I guess I'll continue as I have been doing. I can't separate them due to the complex enclosure I have set up, it is too difficult to catch them without taking everything out.

Don't be so lazy , take the other one out before it starves to death ...

i agree with everyone else, but if you don't want to set up a whole new enclosure the just feed the skinny one in a tub so you can supervise how much he eats then put him back in with the other.

Appreciate the strong words but you need to know that while the other gecko is smaller, it is not underweight or skinny at all!

It is not starving I promise.

But the other one is clearly getting the lions share of the food. When one lizard is dominant, in this case by size, you will get problems. Do you know the sexes?

It cant be that complex that you cant take out one gecko, just do it at night when hes out. Seriously you cant be that stuborn when it comes to taking care of youre reptiles

Honestly if I had to capture even one of my frogs, I'd have to remove literally all the driftwood, fake plants & rocks out of the viv...otherwise I'd risk crushing one whilst trying to catch another.

Appreciate the strong words but you need to know that while the other gecko is smaller, it is not underweight or skinny at all!

Your missing the point. There is a dominance problem which could lead to the death of the smaller one.
I had a adult female killed by another female of the same size because of dominance issues.
Marmorata can be quite nasty to each other if they so decide.

If the larger one is a male and the smaller female then he will force her to mate before she is ready

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back