Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rlpreston

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just thought I would introduce myself (so as not to feel like such a peeping Tom!).

My name is Rhiannan (Rhi or Ranny for short), I'm 25 and from sunny Melbourne. I am currently studying cert III in Captive Animals via correspondence while I take care of my two human babies.

I have been a lifelong predator enthusiast (although any animal will do), and have had a particular interest in reptiles for as long as I can recall. I even kept my own 'reptile park and aquarium' -(read pieces or bark and branches lol) in my backyard pool and shed. In hindsight, I may not have behaved like the usual little girl lol.

We have just acquired our first reptile, a pretty little Bredli called Tellulah, after my 4 year old demanded a crocodile for her birthday. I talked her down to a snake and I am grateful for her help to convince Dad :) They never warned me (just like with my first tattoo, or a tim tam) that with one, comes a raging desire for more!
I see a lot of "First Snake" threads here but none to help decide on a second, third, etc.

I'm looking forward to having somewhere to chat with like minded people and learn anything and everything there is to know.

Cheers :)

I am new here too although I have 5 snakes now. My daughter and I originally started with 2 corn snakes. After that I got a what I think is a Central American Boa, then an Aztec corn and just recently a Children's Python. Still, I understand the feeling of wanting more:)

Hi and thanks for the reply!

I don't know whether to be terrified that the feeling doesn't ease or relieved that I'm not alone! :D how old is your daughter of you don't mind? It seems like it must be something in the blood as my daughter has been nothing short of obsessed since she saw the crocodiles and lizards at the zoo here!

Being in Aus, only native species are on the cards for us but luckily that doesn't exactly limit the possibilities too much! I'm dreaming big here but am blessed with a happy husband to support me and a willingness to start small :)

Thanks for the welcome Deadpan, and thanks for the tip!

Sadly, I already saw the Woma thread before I posted. I think I may be in trouble there since I showed my daughter the pics too :O Might check out the others just to make sure I know what to 'avoid' ;)

From what I can tell, I'm spoiled for choice being in Vic and with and advanced licence. I might just have to get one of everything :D

My daughter is 19 now but she and I got the first two corn snakes when she was 15. She did all the research including finding a reputable breeder. She decided on a female ghost and a male charcoal. About 2 years ago we got the boa and she has grown quickly. This summer my daughter saw the Aztec corn and fell in love so we brought it home and then I saw the Children's Python online and REALLY wanted it so I researched it and then went to the Reptile Show in Los Angeles and found only one vendor that had any...I got the best out of the 5 they had:) I already know what my next one will be if I decide to get another but I plan to wait at least a year.

Sounds like the addiction definitely has a genetic factor :D my 'biggest' girl is only 4 (the Bredli was her birthday gift) and she already has plans for all the animals she wants.

We'll stay well away from venom I think, not my cup of tea, but I couldn't rule out anything else. I don't think my wish list would end until I physically ran out of room!
Gee those albino olive pythons are pretty, maybe my favourite albino and definitely on the 'someday' list :)

Last edited:
Hi all,

Just thought I would introduce myself (so as not to feel like such a peeping Tom!).

My name is Rhiannan (Rhi or Ranny for short), I'm 25 and from sunny Melbourne. I am currently studying cert III in Captive Animals via correspondence while I take care of my two human babies.

I have been a lifelong predator enthusiast (although any animal will do), and have had a particular interest in reptiles for as long as I can recall. I even kept my own 'reptile park and aquarium' -(read pieces or bark and branches lol) in my backyard pool and shed. In hindsight, I may not have behaved like the usual little girl lol.

We have just acquired our first reptile, a pretty little Bredli called Tellulah, after my 4 year old demanded a crocodile for her birthday. I talked her down to a snake and I am grateful for her help to convince Dad :) They never warned me (just like with my first tattoo, or a tim tam) that with one, comes a raging desire for more!
I see a lot of "First Snake" threads here but none to help decide on a second, third, etc.

I'm looking forward to having somewhere to chat with like minded people and learn anything and everything there is to know.

Cheers :)

De ja vu. My little girl, after a visit to the Australian wildlife Park wanted a croc :shock:. Thankfully we talked her down to a python :lol: Now I'm the one who's addicted :facepalm:.

Ps. try holding a Woma and leaving with out buying one :D

Venom would be out for me as well...I'm looking more towards one of the Island Boas like maybe a Pearl Island...still, it will be a while before I add another.

BeZaKa - aren't they funny? If she had her way I'd spends my whole day feeding a house full of critters! We had a long neck turtle when she was a baby and she would scoot her walker over to the side of the tank and watch it endlessly!
I still haven't ruled out a freshie! Just not yet :)

Womas are beautiful, am yet to see one in the flesh so you may be proven right when I do!

Days1 - I can't wait for my next addition! There are too many amazing animals to choose from though, it will be hard to settle on one.

Thanks for the welcome Ambush! Glad I found such a friendly place to 'hand out' :D

Welcome :) I remember my mum making me wait years before I was allowed my first python...but like many keepers with one certainly comes many many more ;)

I'm so glad to hear you are letting you daughter follow her (and your :p) passion with allowing her to own reptiles :) Sadly not a thing 'normal' mums allow so good on ya! :D

Enjoy the site :)

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I was probably never destined to be a normal mum considering my affinity for pirates and tattoos, what's one more unusual thing :D
My mother would never allow me the snakes I wanted but I would trust my kids with a snake more so than with our bulldogs! (Not that I 'trust' any animal with the kids alone) It makes me proud that she inherited something from me :D

Thanks SteveNT,

Usual is pretty boring if you ask me ;)

I did a short stint up your way when I was a little younger, Darwin is an interesting place, that's for sure!

My daughter and I agree that "Normal" is highly over rated:) Besides, the world would be a boring place without "interesting" people!

BeZaKa - aren't they funny? If she had her way I'd spends my whole day feeding a house full of critters! We had a long neck turtle when she was a baby and she would scoot her walker over to the side of the tank and watch it endlessly!
I still haven't ruled out a freshie! Just not yet :)

Womas are beautiful, am yet to see one in the flesh so you may be proven right when I do!

Days1 - I can't wait for my next addition! There are too many amazing animals to choose from though, it will be hard to settle on one.

Thanks for the welcome Ambush! Glad I found such a friendly place to 'hand out' :D

When I first took my little girl to buy one, I got her to handle it first thinking she might hesitate, she was 6 at the time, took to pythons like a duck to water. She still surprises non snake people with how comfortable she is with them....Im a proud Daddy:D

When I first took my little girl to buy one, I got her to handle it first thinking she might hesitate, she was 6 at the time, took to pythons like a duck to water. She still surprises non snake people with how comfortable she is with them....Im a proud Daddy:D

It's amazing the difference it makes to teach kids about the world before the 'fear' gets in to them! A few parents I know we're shocked that I would have a snake in the house with the kids but, as I said before, we've got American bulldogs who I would consider far more 'dangerous' than a python :)

We have just come home from looking at some Black-Headed Pythons. Very beautiful! Just may be next :D

It's amazing the difference it makes to teach kids about the world before the 'fear' gets in to them! A few parents I know we're shocked that I would have a snake in the house with the kids but, as I said before, we've got American bulldogs who I would consider far more 'dangerous' than a python :)

We have just come home from looking at some Black-Headed Pythons. Very beautiful! Just may be next :D

We get quite regularly " but you have kids" to which the standard reply is "Yes and if the kids ever hurt the snakes they'll be put up for adoption :shock:. I have no issues in messing with peoples minds :D.

A Woma was my first, Bredli second and Black Head third..... highly recommend all three.

Ps. Any pics of your Bredli???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back