Regurge?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellannn

Reaction score
I was doing my morning routine of checking all of my babies and I noticed that in my 2 year old coastals enclosure there was what at first looked like a big poop (excuse the language) I had a closer look and thought I saw a big worm in it and panicked, grabbed a stick and moved it to see if it was in fact a worm. Turns out it was a mouse. I don't know if he has pooped it out or regurgitated. I took some photos of it so I could get some opinions.
She is at her regular temps. 32 on hot side and 21 on the cold. She ate 2 nights ago and this was the first time she ate in 12 weeks. She ate a large mouse and a hopper mouse so obviously it's the hopper mouse that's made it's way back up. Any suggestions as to what happened?
suhe4ety.jpg

Sorry for the photo of the mess. Just trying to figure out if it is a regurgitation or a stool.

looks like a stool to me. Maybe it was just a bit of a shock to the snakes system to have a large feed of 2 mice after 3 months of not eating. Just start off with smaller feeds and make sure that the temps are up and consistent.

Not trying to be gross, but when you poked around in it was the whole mouse there or just the tail?

What are you measuring the warm end with?
Generally a regurge is because it was too cold OR too large an item(s).

Than I would say it regurgitated it. If the mouse had gone through the digestive track there would not be whole mouse left :)

Grogshla could be right with the shock to the system, having such a large feed after not eating. Or there could be some underlying issue in your snakes health.
I would just monitor the situation for a while to make sure you snake is not ill, but consult a vet if it happens again or if his condition/attitude changes dramatically.

What are you measuring the warm end with?
Generally a regurge is because it was too cold OR too large an item(s).

I use a digital thermometer.

Than I would say it regurgitated it. If the mouse had gone through the digestive track there would not be whole mouse left :)

Grogshla could be right with the shock to the system, having such a large feed after not eating. Or there could be some underlying issue in your snakes health.
I would just monitor the situation for a while to make sure you snake is not ill, but consult a vet if it happens again or if his condition/attitude changes dramatically.

How long would you recommend that I wait to feed her next?
I had taken her to the vet about 3 weeks ago because she was losing a lot of weight and not eating. The vet tube fed her and said to bring her back for some bloods if she continued to refuse food. She has kept down the larger mouse I fed her, so should I take her back do you think? Or just keep an eye out and see.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest waiting however long you usually wait til the next feed (a week generally), and just try with one food item. I generally watch my pythons eating until they have finished swallowing and re-located their jaws just to be certain all is well (and because it is pretty interesting to watch, even after hundreds of feeds :)).
Maybe give the vet a call and let them know what happened, but I wouldn't rush your python in yet because it did eat the first mouse. Give it another week and one feed and see how things look after that.
I hope everything works out for you and your python :)

I just did a quick Google and found a site that gives you some reasons a snake may regurgitate its food.
Apologies in advance if this link is not allowed and please remove if so.

Regurgitating » onlysnakes.com - information for snake owners

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a case of too much too soon. The snake's system has been shut down for months and then hit with a very big dose of food. You should offer a small meal a couple of times at the beginning of the season to enable the digestive mechanisms to reach normal operating speed.

Jamie

Funnily enough the only python who has regurged for me was my 2 year coastal as well. It was a 1 off thing that scared me but honestly the snake was fine and was normal right after.

As people have mentioned before, check the heat. In the cooler months you mite be struggling to keep the temps up overnight so that mite be something to look into. Another reason (Which i put mine down to) was handling after a meal. Even if you're not handling right away, it can still effect digestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back