Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd go with the bigger size, but since you've bought the fuzzies, feed her two. Mine started on pinkie rats in April and is getting one small rat every 7 days now he's 8 months old. I don't weigh them but go on size. I think general rule of thumb is something the same girth as your snakes roundest part of their belly.

Edit: pic to keep on topic. I fed him last night: such a little fatty :)

ury2a3ub.jpg

If you are feeding something that is as big as the largest part of the snakes body, it's far too small.

I always started feeding hatchlings on 'fuzzy' rats. About 14-20g. From this I would progress pretty quickly and at 9-12 months age would be on small adult rats once a fortnight. I always prefered to feed larger meals less often for womas and all of mine had no issues with condition or size. If they were starting to get fat I'd back it off. If they were maintaining a good weight I'd keep feeding as I was.

The main thing for womas is that they maintain a good body shape, like an arched window. Curved at the top, flat on the sides and pretty much straight across the bottom. If they are looking plump around the tail, they are too fat. Feed smaller meals once every 3 weeks till the weight drop off. They are naturally quite lean in the wild.

If you are feeding something that is as big as the largest part of the snakes body, it's far too small.

I always started feeding hatchlings on 'fuzzy' rats. About 14-20g. From this I would progress pretty quickly and at 9-12 months age would be on small adult rats once a fortnight. I always prefered to feed larger meals less often for womas and all of mine had no issues with condition or size. If they were starting to get fat I'd back it off. If they were maintaining a good weight I'd keep feeding as I was.

The main thing for womas is that they maintain a good body shape, like an arched window. Curved at the top, flat on the sides and pretty much straight across the bottom. If they are looking plump around the tail, they are too fat. Feed smaller meals once every 3 weeks till the weight drop off. They are naturally quite lean in the wild.

Thanks :) my Steve (pictured) is 8months and fed one small adult rat every 7 days (was prev getting one weaned rat every 5). Do you think that's too much/not enough/ok? The pic of him is just after swallowing it, you can see he has a fair lump.

Thanks :) my Steve (pictured) is 8months and fed one small adult rat every 7 days (was prev getting one weaned rat every 5). Do you think that's too much/not enough/ok? The pic of him is just after swallowing it, you can see he has a fair lump.

Mate that is fine. If he can swallow it fine and you can see a bulge its all good, By the time you come to fed again that bulge from previous fed should be gone.

Mate that is fine. If he can swallow it fine and you can see a bulge its all good, By the time you come to fed again that bulge from previous fed should be gone.

Thanks yommy :) it's always good to be sure that what I'm doing is right.

Another pic just coz :) I woke up the other morning and found him like this.

2aqyny2y.jpg

Thanks yommy :) it's always good to be sure that what I'm doing is right.

Another pic just coz :) I woke up the other morning and found him like this.

2aqyny2y.jpg
What's the go with the pattern last few inch before cloaca or is it photo

What's the go with the pattern last few inch before cloaca or is it photo

Lol not sure what the go with it is, but yes he has a pattern :) this is the best recent pic I've found showing it a bit better. If you look closely you can see the flower where the stripes end and pattern starts.

agunahe3.jpg

Lol not sure what the go with it is, but yes he has a pattern :) this is the best recent pic I've found showing it a bit better. If you look closely you can see the flower where the stripes end and pattern starts.

agunahe3.jpg

You have a dud, would you like me to take this funny patterned woma off your hands? I will take one for the team.

You have a dud, would you like me to take this funny patterned woma off your hands? I will take one for the team.

Lol never in a million years, he's my pet :)

I have a feeling you're joking about him being a dud though. Is his pattern uncommon?

Lol never in a million years, he's my pet :)

I have a feeling you're joking about him being a dud though. Is his pattern uncommon?

Nah not really uncommon, a lot of woma's will end up with funny patterns but mine as much as I love him has plain stripes. I think yours is nice but not unusual.

Nah not really uncommon, a lot of woma's will end up with funny patterns but mine as much as I love him has plain stripes. I think yours is nice but not unusual.

Lol ok, so not a dud then :p I don't think I've found a pic of yours yet.

No not a dud, very nice looking and an interesting pattern. The main thing for you is though is that it is yours.

Thanks :) yep he is my pet and he's healthy which is the main thing.

Such a mega cutie though :D

za7u9ama.jpg

agunahe3.jpg

I may have Steve's twin brother Lawra, meet Mitch, note the same pattern on the tale and he is the same age as yours:shock:

Attachments

• 21072013 (67).jpg
    21072013 (67).jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 70
I may have Steve's twin brother Lawra, meet Mitch, note the same pattern on the tale and he is the same age as yours:shock:

Very cool! Could very well be his sib, where did yours come from? Yours looks really cool as well :)

A sponsor here. Shire snakes.

Cool :) mine came through a breeder on here from Mackay, but was one of four he freighted here earlier in the year. I will have to ask him where he came from. Would be awesome if Mitch and Steve were from the same clutch :)

IMG_0132.jpg IMG_0134.jpgIMG_0138.jpgIMG_0135.jpgIMG_0136.jpg

I haven't been on here much because I've started on the 2 story "palace" for my little girl.
1St pic is the top floor, showing the hole to the bottom floor.
2nd pic is the ramp.
3rd pic is the 2 story hide - bottom section will be heated.
4th pic is the hide for the top floor.

This enclosure is 4 x 2

Any feedback would be appreciated as this is my first background.

It did have plastic vents that were cracked so I purchased stainless steel ones that I will silicone in place.

Heating is a problem as I wanted to try those slate tiles from bunnings but, a 14w heat mat only gave about 22 deg and a 25W heat cord only gave a reading of 25 deg.
Going to have to re think and find another solution.

It did have plastic vents that were cracked so I purchased stainless steel ones that I will silicone in place.

Heating is a problem as I wanted to try those slate tiles from bunnings but, a 14w heat mat only gave about 22 deg and a 25W heat cord only gave a reading of 25 deg.
Going to have to re think and find another solution.

That looks very awesome. The 25 watt heat cord if zig zagged back and forth under the tile and run approx 1 to 2 cm parallel to each other should be giving you your desired temps. Also is the cord pressed/touching the tile? Apologize if you have tried this already its what works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back