Pink Tongue owners

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gemrock2hot

Reaction score
Just wanting to see how many Pink Tongue owners there are out there as i dont see many forsale. i Currently have 8, 7 of which are patternless and one reduced pattern. So who breeds them? whats your setup? Do you keep patterned or patternless. Would be good to get to know other breeders as further down the tack i want to start breeding high patterned ones :) I will get some new pics of my Pink toungues today..... please if you have any pics dont be shy to post :)

I keep two pink tongues currently. Both of mine are patterned indivuals. Don't breed yet as they are both still young but would like to eventually. I also want to expand into some pattern less individuals eventually. What sort of food to you feed yours?
So these are my two:
chico.jpgpinky.jpg
And this is the enclosure i use for one of them. No where near what I want it to eventually be but it is working for the moment. Had to separate them as they weren't getting along to well at one stage.
Cheers Cameron

Attachments

• f.jpg
    f.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 149
usudeber.jpg

ydupy3yd.jpg
guvu9usa.jpg
ra4a8e3a.jpg
ymumytuj.jpg
a8e2e2ev.jpg

I currently feed mine on tin cat food and they love it they get calcium powder every other feed. I feed them snails once a week in winter( when they are awake) lol I have just started breeding snails so hopefully I will be able to start feeding them more. I also feed the occasional pinky mouse to my adults. My adults are in a simple enclosure with a mix of cocoa peat and aspen. And my baby's are in a rack system :)

They all look quite nice little lizards. I really like that coppery one that you have. I feed mine pretty much the same as you do. I am about to trail a mix of my dog chicken, snails, boiled egg and some fine cut veges to try and give more variety to their diets.
Cheers Cameron

Thanks yeh I'm hoping that coppery one is a male as I want to breed that with my dark girl if it is a boy :) yeh I'm thinking of making up a blend mix of snails, veg and cat food. Then freezing them in ice cube trays and just defrost as I need :)

Do they need any sort of lighting, or can the just be heated by a heat cord?

I provide mine with UVB during the day. Only 2.0 or 5.0 because they are a more rain forest species of lizard so do not need the high output UVB. I have one heated with a light and the other with a heat cord and both ways work. Being a more nocturnal species they don't actively bask as often as other species so they get most of their heat off warm rocks and in dappled sunlight.
Cheers Cameron

What is their temperature requirement? And enclosure size, can't find much on them on InternetInternet

The highest my basking spots get for them is 30 degrees. You want to try and keep these guys more on the cooler side as they can't withstand high heat for extended periods of time. Off memory you generally want an enclosure 3-4 times SVL by about the same high. Not much stuff on the internet for them but the best thing you can do if you want to buy them is to purchase, A guide to Australian skinks in captivity by Dr Danny Brown or Keeping and breeding Australian lizards edited by Mike Swan. I have both and they are both great books, Danny's book is only just released so will have more up to date information.
Cheers Cameron

I wouldn't keep them outside. You barley see them inside so you would never see them outside. It's not worth it, they dont need a massive tank any way inside.

What made you think they are illegal to keep? Perfectly fine to keep them.
Cheers Cameron

New picture
Cheers Cameron

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 107
I have this old lizard book and it said they were illegal to keep but that book is quite old

Here's my one and only PTS, 'Cyril' in her little home :)

20130825_174932sm.jpg20130825_174835sm.jpg

Did they work this time?

Last edited:
They would be illegal in TAS and WA because they currently don't allow any reptiles from outside of the state in. Any other state they are fine to own, actually amazed more people don't keep them. Your attachments didn't work, try going advanced and they should work.
Cheers Cameron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back