What would you do?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkinball

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So, I got a phone call at about 9pm last night from my brother in law, they had a "giant snake" crawling around their house. I got him to send me a photo and it was a nice looking carpet python of around 2 metres. He asked me if 1 i could come and remove it or 2 if i knew the number of a snake removalist. After calming him and his wife down a bit i convinced him to leave it be, that it wasn't going to attack them in their sleep and was the best pest control around. I was happy with that result, but what lingered in my mind was what if the neighbours weren't as tolerant? The snake was obviously around as the other neighbours owns chickens, and although more than likely, there for the rats and mice, the chance that it may take a chicken and end up with a shovel to the head bothered me. I know it is technically illegal in QLD to remove the snake, and the cost of a 9pm call out on a Sunday night for a snake remover may have been a bit steep, so would you have removed it yourself and taken it to nearby bushland or let it be in a suburban environment to take its chances?

They are all just starting to move around again and no doubt it would have lived in the area for some time, i love seeing the larger snakes that have managed to survive suburbia un harmed and would be a shame to relocate to another area if not in danger, moving it outside would be my only goal if the residents were that worried :)

In NSW, I'd call WIRES. They're volunteers, and they're about wildlife protection. That said, they aren't allowed to relocate an animal too far from where it's picked up, so there's a good chance it'll just come back. I've never even heard of a private snake remover. It is my understanding that moving an animal a minimal distance from where you picked it up wouldn't be illegal, but I also wouldn't do it without contacting WIRES.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back