[GRAPHIC] In hospital. Dog bite

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll answer a few questions people have asked. My dog is a Great Dane and the stray was a Rhodesian x mastiff.
So I was very limited to what I could have done without anything on me. Because both these dogs are 65kg +
The stray grabbed my dog by the side of the face / jowls and locked on. Started shaking his head around literally trying to tear it off.
I'm one of those people that don't think rationally when I see an animal getting hurt, (especially when it's a dog that my family has had for 10 years) I tried to stand in between them and some how get the stray to let go. I think I ended up twisting / pulling his ears but as soon as the other dog let go, my dog tried to defend himself and bite back but seeing as I was standing in between their heads my thigh copped the bite.

In the surgery they did find muscle tearing so they had to stitch that back together along with sacrificing any extra skin around / in it that had little to no chance of recovery. So
My wound is almost double the size now because of how much damage there was.
Still very sore. Doctors say I won't be able to be back at work for almost 2 weeks.
To be honest I'm just hoping that even if I am still in a horrendous amount of pain I just hope they let me go home so I can see all my animals lol!

Ps my dog is fine. Only a tiny tear on his jowls. But as soon as he realised he had hurt me, he has been a very sooky boy at home apparently.

Could have ended much much worse for the both of you, so glad to hear you're both doing alright, despite the pain. If you play on the pain a little, maybe you'll get one of those fun little green sticks :p
It's funny how dogs react afterwards, and it's this reaction that makes you realize that it truly was an accident. I had a similar thing happen with my late dog (american staff x labrador), she tagged me just above the side of the hip when i was breaking up a fight in similar fashion, and the moment that happened, she tried to cuddle up to me.

Hopefully they let you go home soon.

PS: Everyone loves battle scars.

I was at a family picnic not too long ago with my two dogs and a particularly mentally challenged in law decided to throw one bone to my two dogs. The dogs went nuts and got into a rather serious fight. Much like yourself, not thinking rationally when it comes to my pets and them being possibly injured, I stepped in between grabbed one in each hand by the scruff of the neck and dragged them apart. At this point blood sprayed out and splattered the dogs and me. All this as previously stated happened at a family picnic with a park full of people so you could imagine the reaction. One of the dogs had punctured its own lip with its own tooth, hence the blood spatter. In hind sight I probably shouldn't have stepped in cause it could have gone bad, but in the same situation, unfortunately, Im pretty sure I would do the same. There is no accounting for my own stupidity:lol:.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and hope they let you go home soon.... that hospital food could be harmfull to your health :D

hope you recover soon and i am sure your dog is very sorry.

i have had it happen a few times walking my border collie cross and my chihuahua on lead and some stray dog goes for one of them, or some irresponsible dog owner is walking in a public area with their dog off lead and it goes one of my girls (dogs). my instinct is always to grab my chihuahua and hold her up high and my poor border collie ends up forced to fight the other dog while i find a branch or stick to try break them up.

once i was not so lucky, i did not see the other 2 dogs till it was to late and 2 maltese terriers grabbed my chihuahua and started ripping into her, she was on lead and had a muzzle on as i had just been to the corner shop and being responsible i always restrain her as chihuahuas are snappy, the other dogs did not even have collars on and i did not have my other dog at the time and my autistic 8 year old brother was screaming and crying while the other dogs owners stood there, they did not try to stop the fight till i yelled at them and threatened them.

i now worry about walking my dogs,and wen i do i carry a pole and a can of deoderant and if it happens again i will not hesitate to spray the other dog and use the pole to break them up and maybe wack the irresponsible owners lol just joking but i really feel like it at times..

Hope you recover fast and get to go home soon and see your all your animals. Looks pretty painful hope they gave you something for the pain update as all on how its all going.

Ouch :( hope you get well soon and everything heals fine including your dogs cheek :) also I hope the stray dog was picked up or found its way home poor thing.

Ouch :( hope you get well soon and everything heals fine including your dogs cheek :) also I hope the stray dog was picked up or found its way home poor thing.

Actually found stray dogs owners.
Took the dog to the vet and turns out the dog was microchipped so it was collected straight away.

UPDATE

I went to the doctor today to have my wound re dressed.
Turns out the surgeon had actually stitched me up wrong.
He left a big amount of gauze inside the wound and stitched it all the way up when he was supposed to leave a gap for the gauze to be able to be changed and removed daily.

So I was sent off to a plastic surgeon and ended up having to have it undone and re stitched.
But The good thing about this though is that I no longer have to have gauze inside the wound at all and I can just let it heal. (It was INCREDIBLY painful until he gave me happy gas / green whistle, which I am SO relieved about. )
I still have to go and get it cleaned and redressed everyday but that I can deal with.

Hopefully I'll be back on track in no time! :)

Here's a pic of it being stitched up wrong.
Ill get a pic tomorrow of the updated stitching.

geryvyda.jpg

Three cheers for green whistles :)

I hope you recover soon. You seem to be handling it all very well, I can't imagine how much pain you'd be in.

I hope your pup heals quickly too. X

You really have had a rough trot with it all. Sorry to hear that. Beats me how someone who has done eight plus years of training can make such a basic mistake.

Hopefully you'll reap the benefit of the plastic surgeon's skill in minimising the scarring. I don't know what they put in that gas but if it did not have to come in a cylinder I am sure it would trafficked. You go from feeling dismal to floating up near the ceiling in just a few quick breaths.

Here's hoping the healing is straight forward and trouble free from here on in. Dressing the wound should not be uncomfortable for long.
At least you now have your animals to keep you company at home.

Wishing a full and speedy recovery,
Blue

I was tagged by a staffy on the leg two weeks ago it got infected and i had to have stitches out three days later because the skin flap died lol and they scooped a new wound to start the healing process again ... It doesnt tickle hey
e7y5u5u7.jpg
5a6eqequ.jpg
pics are just after it happen

I was tagged by a staffy on the leg two weeks ago it got infected and i had to have stitches out three days later because the skin flap died lol and they scooped a new wound to start the healing process again ... It doesnt tickle hey
e7y5u5u7.jpg
5a6eqequ.jpg
pics are just after it happen

I can definitely feel your pain!!! That's a little more than just "being tagged" haha!
Didn't they give you antibiotics?
Ouch
Wishing you a speedy recovery!!

6ydajuby.jpg

One week after surgery.
Still very sore, still getting it washed and bandaged by the doctor every day.
I'm able to slightly walk on it now which is great!
Getting there!!

Yea had a tetnus shot and antibiotics but infection had already set in

Ouch!

My AmBull and Staffy x AmBull got into it with each other today :( am glad neither tagged me in the scuffle! Poor Brutus boys eye popped out of its socket though and both dogs have punctures and strains/sprains. It was the only time either of them has ignored my calls, a tad scary especially with two kids in the yard :(

Hope it is a quick recovery for you from here on out!

Ouch!

My AmBull and Staffy x AmBull got into it with each other today :( am glad neither tagged me in the scuffle! Poor Brutus boys eye popped out of its socket though and both dogs have punctures and strains/sprains. It was the only time either of them has ignored my calls, a tad scary especially with two kids in the yard :(

Are you going to do something about it ?

That's a nasty looking gash, kinda gross at the same time.

Ouch!

His eye popped out of its socket? jesus, how do you fix that? i hope your dogs make a speedy recovery as well as Ellan, thats a nasty looking wound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back