RSPCA Wacol, QLD - Starting adoption programs for reptiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Tristan,

Thank you for your email. The RSPCA Wacol Animal Care Campus located 20
minutes west of the Brisbane CBD at 139 Wacol Station Road, Wacol has just
recently begun a Reptile Placement program in partnership with the Department of
Environment and Heritage Protection. This program is offering an avenue to
reptiles who have been kept as pets and have come into care of the department
due to owner's not have current wildlife permits etc.

At present we do not have any snakes available for adoption, although we will
do in the near future. I recommend that you watch our adoption website www.adoptapet.com.au search
under Brisbane animal care campus under reptiles (not native reptiles).

To adopt from the RSPCA we will need to sight your current recreational
wildlife permit at the time of adoption, as well as photos of the enclosure that
the snake will be housed in. You must be 18 years and older to adopt from the
RSPCA and will need to provide photo ID at the time of the adoption. Adoption
prices are currently set at $100 for all reptiles.

Hope this information has been helpful to you. Please do not hesitate to get
in contact should you require more information.

Kind Regards,

ashleigh

Sounds to me like the "Ballot System" we have in place with NPWS, without the $100 slug of course. I hope the powers that be at NPWS don't take a leaf out of the DEHP book and start charging for Reptile placement in NSW :) ............................................Ron

omg....I hope they have strict quarantine procedures in place :(

Can't be any worse than some pet shops, the current ballot system, and some private breeders.

If you want proper quarantine you are better off doing it yourself, as a lot of the time the animals are moved on fairly quickly.

$100 isn't much of a gamble if you end up with a nice animal, that needs a new home.

Not a ballot system as some of these animals have either been seized by inspectors, surrended or escaped pets unclaimed and normally have been under vet care for period of time before going up for adoption and are kept is extremely hygenic conditions much better than alot of pet shops, as with all animals that come to the shelters some come from very poor care and are injured - at least this gives another area where some reptiles can be saved. As with all new endeavours i am sure there will be some teething problems which i hope passes quickly so these animals can find better homes.

having seen the setups at the RSPCA i can tell you that the enclosures are nicer then alot of the people i have seen keeping animals...

They are kept in a locked room so volunteers cant get access to them (boooo!)

The price if the animals isnt that bad.

If i see an animal i like i will be going for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like the only Reptiles are turtles....

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the idea, the $100 price tag isn't much and it will provide the funds needed to look after the reptiles properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back