Reptile Career ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Variety

Reaction score
Just wondering,what are the possibilities i can look at if i am wanting to persue a career involving reptiles ?

Is there anything other than vets ? I heard there is a captive animal course but i can't find it anywhere
As always, all input appreciated

Cheers

The careers that you will be looking at include, zoo keeping, demonstration work, snake catcher, spotter catcher work in the mines and research work through CSIRO, uni's and museums. It can be very difficult to get into any of these jobs as they are all very competitive industries to get into and employers are often after the most qualified person they can get.
Cheers Cameron

The careers that you will be looking at include, zoo keeping, demonstration work, snake catcher, spotter catcher work in the mines and research work through CSIRO, uni's and museums. It can be very difficult to get into any of these jobs as they are all very competitive industries to get into and employers are often after the most qualified person they can get.
Cheers Cameron

Would you consider them competitive enough to find yourself qualified without any work at all ? I'm on NSW central coast

Would you consider them competitive enough to find yourself qualified without any work at all ? I'm on NSW central coast

Yes. When times are good a degree is enough, when things slow up you need something more. That's the case in enviro consultancy in WA anyway. It's easy enough to get on as a casual on ordinary money but to get enough work to live or to get full time work you need to be better than the rest.

It is entirely possible for that to happen with the number of other people that want the same job. You will most likely find that you have to eventually move to get a job but it all depends what you want to do with it. Best way into any of these jobs is to volunteer at parks and zoo's so that you get practical experience under your belt which may be the difference between you getting a job and someone else getting it. Basically the more experience and qualifications you have the higher your chances become for being successful.
Cheers cameron

Thanks for the input guys,
It would really be something i would love to do.. especially if it's paying the bills but i think i'll offer to do some volunteer work asap at the ARP to see how everything is behind the scenes and if it's the right thing for me

Just wondering,what are the possibilities i can look at if i am wanting to persue a career involving reptiles ?

Is there anything other than vets ? I heard there is a captive animal course but i can't find it anywhere
As always, all input appreciated

Cheers

The course you are looking for is Certificate III or IV in Captive Animals. To complete the course you need to already have employment (paid or otherwise) in a Captive Animal facility.

Hth :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

The course you are looking for is Certificate III or IV in Captive Animals. To complete the course you need to already have employment (paid or otherwise) in a Captive Animal facility.

Hth :)

You can also get into Cert III if you have completed Cert II in Animal Care which is what I'm currently doing. :)

You can also get into Cert III if you have completed Cert II in Animal Care which is what I'm currently doing. :)

Sorry, I worded it a bit funny.

The units in the course require work in a captive animal facility, you don't have to have a current job to enrol, but to actually complete you do.

Do you need work placement for your certificate? I went straight to cert III :)

maybe you could look into being a park ranger correct me if that is the wrong term lol or join wires i think it was called they rescue animals and look after them etc

Sorry, I worded it a bit funny.

The units in the course require work in a captive animal facility, you don't have to have a current job to enrol, but to actually complete you do.

Do you need work placement for your certificate? I went straight to cert III :)

Work placement isn't a requirement of cert II. Instead practical assessments are done by bring animals in etc.

Put together an animal husbandry related resume and send it off to a few of the smaller zoo's, try croc parks up North (I worked in the Kimberley first off, just had to be willing to travel) and try places like Yookamarra(SA)/ Nova Scotia(NSW) (used to be Earth Sanctuaries)...I know Halls Gap (VIC) were recently after someone.

Also, if you're really keen, try hooking up with a Bull/ Buffalo catching team in the Top End/ Kimberley as this will give you great survival skills and problem solving with larger animals....you'll also fix alot of "Shorties" (short-wheel based Land Cruisers):).

Great fun for the young.... and young at heart!!

EDIT: I should have mentioned, the bush work will give you practicle skills that some others (with Cert IV's) mightn't have and give you an edge, so to speak. JMO!

maybe you could look into being a park ranger correct me if that is the wrong term lol or join wires i think it was called they rescue animals and look after them etc

More good practicle experience...do a vens removal course through WIRES (or the like)!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back