Why Does My BHP Hiss

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad26

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey i was just curios on why snakes hiss pref bhp. mine hisses every time im handling him and im just wondering for what reason. he doesn't seem aggressive at all and seems to handle quite well. Has anyone else had this happen to them and wondered why also ? .

For starters he's a snake. And second he's just saying he's okay with you handling him. But really he just wishes you'd leave him alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
For starters he's a snake. And second he's just saying he's okay with you handling him. But really he just wishes you'd leave him alone.

lol yes mr obvious he is a snake, however i was wondering is there a good or bad reason why he does it, i know some snakes hiss but just wanted more info on this topic. thanks for your fast reply :p

From what I've read and been told, it's just a BHP thing: they hiss fairly loudly. I got to handle one a few weeks ago and he was looking around and hissing but didn't appear aggravated or try to bite me.

From what I've read and been told, it's just a BHP thing: they hiss fairly loudly. I got to handle one a few weeks ago and he was looking around and hissing but didn't appear aggravated or try to bite me.

yeah iv just put my deposit down on one that i visit regulaly and he hisses everytime i handle him, i have heard that it can be a affectionate thing a swell as a threat alert. however i cant be sure. thx for letting me know on your experience :p

You're welcome :) not sure how much it helped though lol. I hope to see pics in the near future.

Not all of them. Mine are relaxed as with no hissing. Though I have a carpet that hisses when handled. Snakes hiss when they aren't completely happy with what is happening. Put a hissing bhp back in its viv and it stops hissing. Simply cause that's what it wanted.

I've never heard of reptiles as being affectionate. Some people tend to be a little anthropomorphic about their snakes.
Are you getting a BHP from Keith in Broome?

Ours only hisses when he's on a toilet trip down on the lawn and you go to pick him up at the inappropriate moment :)

Both mine hiss when I am feeding them, holding them or doing things with/near them in their cages. They hiss whilst relaxed and appearing calm but also when spooked and putting on their elaborate defensive displays. Given they only hiss when I'm there doing stuff I tend to believe the threat alert theory. As much as I adore my snakes and would love them to like me I doubt the whole affectionate snake theory. On a side note I heard somewhere that something to do with Bhp lungs makes them more prone to hissing. I am unsure if there is anything truth to this, just heard it somewhere.

one of mine hisses when I go to get him out but stops once hes out, another one dosnt hiss ever and another curls up as to strike when I get him out but dosnt hiss or strike, defense pose I assume. the one that hisses and the one that poses both try hold on to there cage and get back in while my other big fella bhp as soon as you reach in hes climbing up my arm sits across my sholders and chills. so I think its them trying to stay where there comfortable and feel safe, but with my other shows it varies from snake to snake

My BHP is the only snake I have that I have heard hissing and he does so quiet regularly. He is puppy dog tame when being handled/moved though. In my limited experience and from what I have read I would be saying this is all part of their bluff/defensive behaviour. Not comparing the two, however, I would liken it to the same reason a rattle snake, shakes its rattle, letting you know it is there and if you do the wrong thing there can be consequences.

Of the two adult BHP's I was handling, One hissed and one didn't. I put it down to one tolerated handling the other would rather not be handled lol and as a result got put back as soon as we were finished with him.

I am currently caring for a red belly black that got his head stuck in a VB can. He hisses anytime I disturb him, and REALLY loudly when I take him out (in a bag) to clean up his poop. I would be leaning towards "I am scared, and can't run away, so this is defcon#2. Back away or I will open my mouth at you. Then I will dry bite. Then you're in trouble".

Last edited:
dont know if this will help at all, but i figure the larger a snake gets the more weight they have on ther lung, start handling them and you are putting extra pressure on it, my thoughts on why the hiss happens, just air passing through a mildy obstructed lung and nasal passage. biug snakes obviously have more air passing through, so stands to reason that the flow of air will create more noise.

just my thoughts,

Not all of them. Mine are relaxed as with no hissing. Though I have a carpet that hisses when handled. Snakes hiss when they aren't completely happy with what is happening. Put a hissing bhp back in its viv and it stops hissing. Simply cause that's what it wanted.

I've never heard of reptiles as being affectionate. Some people tend to be a little anthropomorphic about their snakes.
Are you getting a BHP from Keith in Broome?

yeah mate Keith is the one to capture snakes around the area and brings them in to sell. haven't yet met the bloke yet but so far sounds like a genuine bloke.

and yes i will bring afew photos of my bhp when ready, got a long way to go as i am building his enclosure

My spotted is a bit of a nutter and will strike at passing cars, dumbass lol. i have a new BHP female thats a bit nasty, but only new.
Other than that all my other 4 love cuddles :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back