Styrofoam for backgrounds.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sami-Lochy

Reaction score
Hey guys, after doing a couple of practice fake rock backgrounds, I've been trying to get a couple of metres of foam and do quite a few backgrounds, one 8ft, one 5ft, one 4ft And one 2ft. The larger backgrounds i will be doing in smaller sections otherwise I won't be able to get it into the tanks. I was offered some styrofoam insulation sheets that came from the roof of a shed, and I'm not too sure if this would be appropriate to be using? Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.

It's still just styrofoam isnt it? If its still just the normal stuff you should be able to still use it... I have used the foam out of insulation panels out of a cold room. It was no differnet to me, it turned out the same way :p Good luck with it.

Thanks for your help guys.
i will upload pictures when I'll upload some pictures once I've finished a background, its always good to get feedback :)

I don't think density of styrofoam makes a huge difference, some are just easier to break up and make them look 'rough', high density styrofoamis more prone to cleaner snaps.
All styrofoam is toxic, so as long as it is sealed correctly, you won't have an issue there either.

Hint: You can get some nice textures by attacking the styrofoam with a lighter. I also ran a lighter over the entire surface of the styrofoam (be careful, this stuff can be very flammable). This pops all the styrofoam balls on the surface and melts them together, elminating futher mess when applying grout, etc.

I HATE expander foam. That being said, I'll use it again.

Lesson learnt; use gloves!! That stuff is the WORST when it gets on your skin.

I hear that. I ended up leaving it on my skin and I reckon it took around a week for it to all come off!

Also if you dont wear gloves dont try to rub it off on the grass after it was freshly mowed

Haha, I can imagine how that would turn out!

When it happened to me, I had a read up on how to remove expander foam. Basically, once it dries, it has bonded to your skin, and the only way to totally get rid of it, is waiting for your skin to 'dust off' naturally, and the expander foam comes off with it.

I couldnt got to work as i work in customer service it look like i was the grinch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back