Meet Bonnie the Staffy X

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeannine

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Firstly back on June the 13th our boy deefa was diagnosed with stage 4 renal failure and was put to sleep on the following day, i held him till he was no more and hes sleeping in our backyard

He came into our lives around my birthday in July 99

This was deefa (in HIS chair lol)

DSCF7773_zpsdff18c0f.jpg

Our girl Jess was diagnosed with arthritis and had to go back each week for a month to be given injections, she gets these monthly now but has daily tablets and one day when we were there to get her needle we noticed a puppy outside and while we hadnt even talked about the idea of getting another dog if ever we asked about this one, long story short she was owned by someone else who accidentally fractured her back leg but never bought her back for follow up bandage changes and i guess in the end surrendered to to the RSPCA but they had to amputate it because it was too far gone to fix, she was also mistreated and not fed properly so was very under weight

We thought it over for a few days and decided we would like to adopt her and offer her a new forever home, the vets spoke to us about future issues she might have and the currently problems she did have, they said she will never grow to her full potential and her weight would have to be maintained and not allowed to get too fat, she would probably also not live to her full life span but this is all 'probable' and not written in stone, she would also be better off with a quiet family and no children because she might also one day need surgery on her only rear leg but the vets approved us for adoption

Well she doesnt know shes only got 3 legs and tears around the place, she tends to tuck her bottom down and her rear leg under her and run that way, she did have food guarding issues but it getting better slowly

So meet Bonnie (staffy x they think) adopted July 3rd and i really believe she is a gift from Deefa to help us all heal

DSCF0450_zps37596dab.jpg

What a beautiful girl! Congratulations on the new addition, I'm sure she'll settle in nicely and is happy to be home :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thank you, she really is gorgeous and such a joy to spend time with

She has settled in nicely and giving the cats a hard time, the older ones just give her a slap if she gets too rough but the younger one we have (also a rescue from the RSPCA) just takes what she dishes out, tigger will climb into the bean bag and Bonnie just climbs in after him and its on lol, poor tigger has to learn to law down the law but with any luck as Bonnie gets old she will grow out of it hopefully

Bonnie was 14 weeks when we got her and weighed just 2.8 kgs and is now almost 16 weeks and weighs 5.8 kg and we had to wait for her to put on some weight before they would spay her but is all done now and registered

Thank you, she really is gorgeous and such a joy to spend time with

She has settled in nicely and giving the cats a hard time, the older ones just give her a slap if she gets too rough but the younger one we have (also a rescue from the RSPCA) just takes what she dishes out, tigger will climb into the bean bag and Bonnie just climbs in after him and its on lol, poor tigger has to learn to law down the law but with any luck as Bonnie gets old she will grow out of it hopefully

Bonnie was 14 weeks when we got her and weighed just 2.8 kgs and is now almost 16 weeks and weighs 5.8 kg and we had to wait for her to put on some weight before they would spay her but is all done now and registered

Sounds like you're doing a great job! It's always nice to hear a good outcome :)

We have a Staffy x (Belle - 13months) and a pb Bulldog (Brutus - 7months) who are just big balls of energy. They have so much personality, really part of the family, am still hoping they might settle down a bit with age.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

they do become a huge part of the family, the pain from loosing Deefa is still so raw but when Bonnie cuddles with me it helps to ease it a little

im sure they, like Bonnie, will settle down with age, shes just a ball of energy as she also spent a long time in a cage while her body healed after that big op which is another reason they put off spaying her for a while

I wouldnt worry about mobility with 3 legs, my partners dog is the same and missing a back leg shes about 4 and does really well, still speeds around. But does get tired abit quicker. They adapt really well

thanks Kitten, im not worried about her mobility shes more then proved its not a problem lol, and i have noticed shes a bit 'limpy' during the night when she goes out to the toilet so know shes a bit tired

they are amazing arent they?

Sympathies on your loss and blessings on your new addition :D She is adorable and you are all lucky to have found each other. What a lovely story thank-you for sharing :)

what a lovely little pup. All the best! :)

Just beautiful Jeannine. Sorry for your loss. I have 2 big balls of energy at the moment lol. I had just got my old English sheepdog puppy and 2 weeks later my brother called me "sis you have to save this puppy it's going to be put down if it doesn't find a home" so sure enough I now have a black Labrador puppy as well. Panda (oes) is 21 weeks and Holly (lab) is 20 weeks.

old english are gorgeous dogs, use to know a lady who breed them and Deefa had part lab in him, please watch your lab as he gets older apparently they are susceptible to fatty lumps, poor Deefa had to have some removed, he had one grow up where his 'accessories' use to be and i use to say he was the only dog to regrow half a set lol

thank you and enjoy your babies

Today we said farewell to Jess, her and Deefa had been with us for 14 yrs unfortunately the muscles in her back legs were wasting away and she was loosing control of her back legs and body functions so we did the most loving and kindest thing we could do and that was to let her go and rejoin her old friend and become young again

R.I.P. sweet girl you will be so missed and thank you for all the love and the wonderful memories for now sleep and when you wake up you will find your old friend laying beside you and im sure he has already found the best places around and is just waiting to show them all to you

DSCF0099_zps95b371bf.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back