Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why the hell would anyone want more government interference and red tape to pursue a hobby? I think people should have to sit a theory test before being allowed to have children,to me that would be a worthy thing to implement.

As far as the keeping of any pet goes unfortunately there are those who should be limited to pet rocks only and it has always been the case.

I never mentioned anything to do with the government and I agree with you about the kids thing

From Cathy

I never mentioned anything to do with the government and I agree with you about the kids thing

From Cathy

Who do you think you are dealing with when you apply for a license then?

From Cathy
I do not think that people should pass a test before getting a reptile license unless it is a dangerous to human species , I am not aware of any other pet in Australia where the owner needs to be licensed but can see an advantage of licensing dangerous species and have a training packaged attached to this license. Who would you have as the body in charge of the licensing if it wasn't the government?

It is a somewhat totalitarian approach, but I think it might affect the numbers of snakes that suffer negligent behaviour because of ignorance.

Last edited:
People are talking about two different things here. Cathy is talking about ensuring the animals well being. As we see loads of people who get a license and don't know how to look after the reptiles. Anyone with an ounce of empathy for reptiles can understand this. You know... The usual no UV for dragons, insufficient heat for their reptiles. Not light cages to prevent burns etc etc...

The other people are talking about the negatives of more regulation. Without the same thought of the animals well being but rather what it will do to people wanting to keep reptiles. The cost and other possible implications such a thing could have on the hobby.

I don't see what's so hard about an online test while you are filling out an application for your first ever reptile license.

I also think "why have licenses anyway". Most people cant find a python if they wanted too. They are just pet keepers. Plus if people were going to take from the wild illegally they already would. A piece of paper isn't going to stop that. In fact you would be crazy to get a license if you were a poacher, since the authorities can come and inspect.
The bird keepers have had to deal with wildlife licenses for longer. Though the native birds off license hardly get taken from the wild do they?? Are people running around stealing galahs and budgerigars?

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not see the need for a test before getting a license or in fact a license at all except for maybe dangerous species and then I think it should be mandatory for a license and training coarse like for a gun. There are probably more pet fish killed each year by far than there are reptiles killed and then there are the puppy mills that mistreat dogs, why single out reptiles and their keepers?

I do not see the need for a test before getting a license or in fact a license at all except for maybe dangerous species and then I think it should be mandatory for a license and training coarse like for a gun. There are probably more pet fish killed each year by far than there are reptiles killed and then there are the puppy mills that mistreat dogs, why single out reptiles and their keepers?

So what would be the best solution to make new keepers aware that reptiles require special environments? They are not like dogs and cats, or even fish. But need a controlled temperature gradient, some need UV. These are things most people do not know and at present they don't need to know. They just get a license and get an animal. If you are fine with beardies shaking and slowly dying from lack of uv. Then I see your point. ;)

So what would be the best solution to make new keepers aware that reptiles require special environments? They are not like dogs and cats, or even fish. But need a controlled temperature gradient, some need UV. These are things most people do not know and at present they don't need to know. They just get a license and get an animal. If you are fine with beardies shaking and slowly dying from lack of uv. Then I see your point. ;)
I am not sure on what the answer is but I don't think that a simple test is the answer. I think that there will be just as many ways around the test as there would be questions on it. There is also too many different species with differing needs to make one test suits all. Imagine for example a monitor with a hot spot of 32 degrees or a diamond with a 12 hour basking spot of 50-70 degrees. I also think that fish , especially the marine or discus varieties are just as hard if not harder to keep than reptiles. I am not fine with mistreated animals from any species but don't think the simple test will fix it. I like that people are passionate about it this topic and would be on board with a solution that I thought would work and I think one thing that we can do from within the hobby is if we breed an animal to make sure one of our offspring is sold to an owner that has an understanding of the requirements of the species and capabilities (including financial) to properly look after it. It is quite easy for a person who knows reptiles to ask a few simple questions and be able to gauge to level of knowledge the person has. Plenty like to do that on this site to newbies as we have all seen.

I am not sure on what the answer is but I don't think that a simple test is the answer. I think that there will be just as many ways around the test as there would be questions on it. There is also too many different species with differing needs to make one test suits all. Imagine for example a monitor with a hot spot of 32 degrees or a diamond with a 12 hour basking spot of 50-70 degrees. I also think that fish , especially the marine or discus varieties are just as hard if not harder to keep than reptiles. I am not fine with mistreated animals from any species but don't think the simple test will fix it. I like that people are passionate about it this topic and would be on board with a solution that I thought would work and I think one thing that we can do from within the hobby is if we breed an animal to make sure one of our offspring is sold to an owner that has an understanding of the requirements of the species and capabilities (including financial) to properly look after it. It is quite easy for a person who knows reptiles to ask a few simple questions and be able to gauge to level of knowledge the person has. Plenty like to do that on this site to newbies as we have all seen.
I don't think it would be specific. Just general basic husbandry. It's just to make new license holders aware that there are special requirements for them and that keeping reptiles is different to keeping mammals.
Why do we test learner drivers? They're going to learn on the road next to a licensed driver anyway. Exactly what you have said could be applied the same to learner drivers really. A simple test isn't going to stop them from doing things wrong. So why have it? Obviously the test is there to ensure they have a basic understanding of how the roads and rules work before actually driving.
A test that makes sure people knew the basics of keeping reptiles before getting a license should have a similar outcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me I think well if you are going to have licenses and regulations then we may as well make it worth while and benifit the animals in captivity.
There are no licenses needed for humans having babies. But if there was then a test would be a good start for applying for a license.
Really what licenses can we get that don't require a test? I needed one for my boat license, my elecrtical license, my drivers license, my open cabling license, etc etc. with out it may as well not have a license.

I don't think it would be specific. Just general basic husbandry. It's just to make new license holders aware that there are special requirements for them and that keeping reptiles is different to keeping mammals.
Why do we test learner drivers? They're going to learn on the road next to a licensed driver anyway. Exactly what you have said could be applied the same to learner drivers really. A simple test isn't going to stop them from doing things wrong. So why have it? Obviously the test is there to ensure they have a basic understanding of how the roads and rules work when driving.
I learner driver could kill someone else or themselves if they do not give way or stop when required. I know a reptile may die if not kept correctly but I do place human life above an animals. I think the onus should be on the person selling the animal to make sure they are handing the life of an animal to someone that has a basic understanding of the animals needs.

I learner driver could kill someone else or themselves if they do not give way or stop when required. I know a reptile may die if not kept correctly but I do place human life above an animals. I think the onus should be on the person selling the animal to make sure they are handing the life of an animal to someone that has a basic understanding of the animals needs.
Exactly!! The animal could die!!! Is a short test similar to the learners permit really that much to ask to save a few animals lives? Is it really that much of an inconvenience to have to pass it once in your entire life?
Have to wonder???

Exactly!! The animal could die!!! Is a short test similar to the learners permit really that much to ask to save a few animals lives? Is it really that much of an inconvenience to have to pass it once in your entire life?
Have to wonder???
I am not looking at it as an inconvenience but more doubting whether it will actually save animals lives.

It is a supervised test where cheating is very limited. To do this for reptile licenses would cost a fortune.
Not if its just an online test as part of obtaining your first basic license.
The info on the learner a permit is to make the people aware. Like wise a first time reptile keeper could be made aware via a test in a similar fashion.
Things like:
Dragons and monitors require uv
reptiles need a thermal gradient
All reptiles require fresh water.
all reptiles need a source of heating
heat can kill a reptile.

A lot of things that are common sense to us. Are not known or even heard of to many first time reptile keepers.

For example. It's just about making someone who knows nothing about reptiles have a good starting point. Like a learner driver before they get behind the wheel.

Im not saying its the solution. But I think the idea has merit and people didn't need to react to Cathy in such a violent manner.

Not if its just an online test as part of obtaining your first basic license.
The info on the learner a permit is to make the people aware. Like wise a first time reptile keeper could be made aware via a test in a similar fashion.
Things like:
Dragons and monitors require uv
reptiles need a thermal gradient
All reptiles require fresh water.
all reptiles need a source of heating
heat can kill a reptile.

For example. It's just about making someone who knows nothing about reptiles have a good starting point. Like a learner driver before they get behind the wheel.

Im not saying its the solution. But I think the idea has merit and people didn't need to react to Cathy in such a violent manner.
Maybe it would help but I feel a lot would still slip through the cracks, I think it was quite rude the way Cathy was shot down as well. I was more looking for a solution and didn't see that being the solution. There is also the problem of implementing it correctly, there are probably more ways that will work for keeping reptiles than ones that will not and who will decide which one is the correct answer. Like you said it would have to be more an awareness thing rather then specific answer thing for it to work. I can see it adding cost to the license without a lot of gain.

So this is the third thread I've read on here that seems to me that people are voicing their opinions on what other people are doing in their HOBBY.

I read someone saying that Pet Owners will never see past their enclosures and something about not being real herpetologists....
That might possibly be correct, but they most likely didn't get into the HOBBY to go field herping and re-naming species willy-nilly like Haymond Roser..
Maybe people have an interest in reptiles for what they are, their HOBBY, not for their natural history and trudging around the bush looking for them.

This interest they have is solely a HOBBY, a HOBBY called Herpeteculture.

I came into the HOBBY after keeping a few blue tongues and bearded dragons, didn't even know forums existed, didn't know there was information about husbandry on the Internet.
So I did what I thought was best for the animals, as it was my HOBBY.
I successfully kept those animals until they died many years on.
Now my focus is on keeping and breeding the animals I would like to keep in my HOBBY.
Any thing that I don't want to keep will be moved on to another person's HOBBY collection.

A HOBBY is what someone wants it to be.
That's a great things about a HOBBY, you can do what you like as it's yours.
These animals in our collections have very little, if any, conversational value. No matter what you think, there is never going to be a call to private keepers to help replenish wild stocks.

I think this brings up another debate/discussion that would be much better suited than discussing what others are doing, planning to do or haven't done...

Should we need licencing through National Parks to keep our animals?
Should we have to pay licencing fee to our local councils like we do with cats and dogs?

I can only assume that you hate RH because of his venomoids, yet you keep a jag which has a known neurological birth defect. My question to you is, what makes you any better? Is mental anguish better than physical anguish in your books?
Regarding your comments on the release of captive bred animals back in to the hobby, are you sure of that? What do you base this on because I'm pretty sure they haven't ruled that possibility out.

To a lot of people this isn't a HOBBY (I can read lowercase by the way), it's a way of life. A lot of us don't just see the pretty colours of mulga food or see keeping reptiles as something that makes us tough or unique, but hey, you go champion!

Maybe it would help but I feel a lot would still slip through the cracks, I think it was quite rude the way Cathy was shot down as well. I was more looking for a solution and didn't see that being the solution. There is also the problem of implementing it correctly, there are probably more ways that will work for keeping reptiles than ones that will not and who will decide which one is the correct answer. Like you said it would have to be more an awareness thing rather then specific answer thing for it to work. I can see it adding cost to the license without a lot of gain.

How much more can it go up? I'm already on $350 a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back