Electricity bill shock anyone over winter ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My last was just over $2400 3 month

WoW! Are you running a bunch of computers / servers in your house as well? or is it just reptiles?
I had a good friend who had a datacentre in there shed and their power bills were crazy, plus at the time they were doing lots of work in the garden so the water bill spiked. They had a nice visit from the police, they thought he was doing something illegal in his shed / house haha.

Last quarter was nearly $1K (2 people, 40 odd geckos and few others), only extras compared to this time last year was my aquaponics setup and we were using a space heater to warm the bedroom of a night. Switched quickly to hot water bottle from then on.

WoW! Are you running a bunch of computers / servers in your house as well? or is it just reptiles?
I had a good friend who had a datacentre in there shed and their power bills were crazy, plus at the time they were doing lots of work in the garden so the water bill spiked. They had a nice visit from the police, they thought he was doing something illegal in his shed / house haha.

just the snakes and 2 tanks

I feel for you all (excepts for you longqi). Im one of the lucky ones, Ive just moved into a house that has a few farm sheds around it that run off the same power as the house, so the landlord made me a deal that if I mow the lawn at his other rental then he would pay my electricity. JUMPED ALL OVER.

Mine was averaging
$1100 a 1/4 - then i decided to **** energy australia off !
$850-$950 a 1/4 with AGL........go figure !!
Give them a go, they will undercut Energy Australia big time.
Im on 18% discount atm.

I'm happy when mines under 1200.... this winter one was 1400... the rest of this year was under 800 witch was Awesome

I'm happy when mines under 1200.... this winter one was 1400... the rest of this year was under 800 witch was Awesome

Cripes ! My winter quarter powerbill for my all electric home was about 1/2 of that - despite our running the reverse cycle aircon non-stop 24/7 for the entire season.

I'd be seriously looking at ways of reducing my electricity bills and cutting my power usuage if I was getting such bills every quarter. And perhaps looking at changing my retail provider.

Last edited:
To many electronics, fish tanks, and herps lol. And the boy never turns off his toys, and I'm shocking with leaving lights on :p

two years ago on avg $600 a qtr was what I was paying...

Last year after a 3.5 sytem that cost 7k (higher prices at the time...)

My winter bill was down to just above half that and my first summer qtr bill was $135....

That's with running the AC like it was going out of fashion... before having panels I would only dare run it for few hours a day in summer just to make the house bearable for a bit.

I live in west end, Brisbane in a 2bedroom unit by myself... And 35 fishtanks, and 5 snakes that may or maynot be heated correctly at times. The hot water system is a large one which I turn on every 2nd or 3rd day AFTER 11pm at night and off by 7 am as that's the hotwater tarrif time. The place is concrete basically and holds the heat pretty well, and is a bit cooler in summer, but if its like 36 degrees, its going to be hot whatever you do. I usually wear a shirt and shorts in winter, but the fishtanks combined heat holding capacity helps out, as well as only opening the place up in the middle of the day, except if its a cold day.
If you're cold, wear extra jumpers ect, don't be lazy useing dishwashers- by hand the good old fashioned way... I wash my clothes and let them dry overnight with a fan blowing on them but if its warmer or windy I get it done then. You can get an energy audit and a few devices and lights and stuff, or you used to be able to. L.E.D lights are good and pay for themselves after ?2 years, but they last so many times longer the incandescents. Solar panels should pay for themselves within a few years... A friend and I were looking at one of the higher powered ones, and I think we figured it out to be 18mths, but he has upgradeable system and is on the earlier feed in rate.
You should look into peak times, depending on power companies and ask if there's a possibility for a discount somewhere as well, it can't hurt.
A 100% increase in your power bill is b.s, I'd be complaining to the energy ombudsman ASAP
And i tell ya what, when this idiot gets rid of the carbon tax, the power companies had fn well better drop the prices respectively or else.
My power is about $500-550/ quarter. I thought it was to be a bit higher,somehow it wasn't :) But the winter bill, with the new company is about to arrive so I m curious as to how much it'll be. I was with agl but switched to a sister company that reakons a 10% discount will be comeing off the agl bill - so let's see.

Last edited:
just get more reptiles and keep paying its only money u only live once may as well have what u want and be broke and happy mine is like $1300+ and I just keep breeding them and keeping more lol

two years ago on avg $600 a qtr was what I was paying...

Last year after a 3.5 sytem that cost 7k (higher prices at the time...)

My winter bill was down to just above half that and my first summer qtr bill was $135....

That's with running the AC like it was going out of fashion... before having panels I would only dare run it for few hours a day in summer just to make the house bearable for a bit.

They make a huge difference when you have a good solar panel set up ,i have a a six bedroom house and really hammer the electricity and air conditioning and the bills are pretty good now , summer in particular.
Knowing that they only pay around 8cents feed in tarriff here in NSW i make sure i use the air conditioning allot in summer.

I think I finally understand... The kids have their heat turned off, humidity is at 50% and there's a nice cross breeze through the room - yet temps are 31 degrees! Guess the air con will be running all wet season and my bill will be over 1k too :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back