Two stimson pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stimsonpython101

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all I was just wondering if I should get a friend for my 6 month old stimson. Any suggestions? I think Felix is a girl. Gulp* we thought he was a boy

I would suggest you do a search of the "Can I keep my pythons together” threads and assess the risks before you look at buying a second one.

You'll need to get your little guy probed first and be sure of what you have before you start thinking of additions too :) a second python must be of the opposite sex and of a similar size to the one you have to increase compatibility.

I would probably also remind you (gently) that housing pythons together could result in a gravid python and in turn, eggs (when they hit the 2+ years mark), so if you are not interested in breeding this probably isn't a good solution for you. If you just want a second snake, get a second one and house them separately - your python is not lonely and currently has no objection with encountering nil competition for food, hides and basking spots. But if you want to breed later and wish to house them together, check out the threads I mentioned above and read up on what could happen and what you can do to prevent it as best you can.

Bad idea for young stimi's. A mutual friend of Lithopian and mine had one eat another. And they both died!

Your little Stimmi is not lonely and doesn't want to come out to play because he/she feels happy and secure where he is.
Why do you think she is a girl? At her age she would have to probed by a capable person to be sure.
It doesn't matter though unless you want to breed later.
But only get a second snake if you WANT 2 snakes. If you do house them separately another snake will stress your Felix much more than being alone.

Antaresia are known to have some cannibalistic inclinations. I personally would not house them together especially while young. The only snakes I would consider housing together are carpets and even then I don't feel I would be experienced enough to properly minimise the risks. JMO but not worth it. Luckily snakes are solitary animals and don't feel the need for 'friends'.

Hi all I was just wondering if I should get a friend for my 6 month old stimson. Any suggestions? I think Felix is a girl. Gulp* we thought he was a boy

Sure why not... as long as the friend has it's own house and not sleeping on the couch at Felix's place, a friend would be fine.
Felix don't like snakes that over stay they're welcome.

To the pet shop!
:)

I hope you understand the risks involved and have also assumed the responsibility to your current snake and have made plans [at the pet shop you are rushing off to I presume] to have it sexed. If you have two males or two females, there could be big trouble and you could go from 1 python to 0 pythons.

Provide plenty of hides on both the hot and cold side.
Do not feed them together inside the click-clack - remove them and feed them in a tub separately.

Snow- were they a m/f pair? I can't remember whose it was.

Just baby stimi's. It was just one of those things. Doesn't matter if its two males or two females in my experience. I kept two males together for years. And they were fine. Then I put them back together and one bit the other. I still keep a pair together year round and I know someone who keeps two females and a male together year round. The main problem is with young snakes or breeding males from what I've seen. Anything under a year old you would be taking a risk with IMO.

Fair enough. Either way, no matter the sex or age, if you have one snake on its on, you know it'll be ok - add another and you have to be prepared for possible risk. Yeah, I remember reading about the trio on WAHS.
I keep a m/f pair together and have done since they were smaller - can't recall what age, maybe 10-12 months, but from what I've heard people have done the same as me with no problems, until they day they had a problem. I want to get rid of my stimmies and stick to carpets anyway.

Fair enough. Either way, no matter the sex or age, if you have one snake on its on, you know it'll be ok - add another and you have to be prepared for possible risk. Yeah, I remember reading about the trio on WAHS.
I keep a m/f pair together and have done since they were smaller - can't recall what age, maybe 10-12 months, but from what I've heard people have done the same as me with no problems, until they day they had a problem. I want to get rid of my stimmies and stick to carpets anyway.
I like your style :) Stimi's are so boring!

Hoping I can get some cool carpets from Niall next year to take the stimmie's spots.

stimsonpython101- heaven forbid you should have any problems, like I said before, there are PLENTY of threads about keeping ants together on here. Maybe you could rig up a click clack and have it sitting in the cupboard just in case :)

I keep my carpets and jungles together respectively, and they love each other, and will keep my GTP's together, but after seeing so many stimmies with other stimmies inside them, I definitely wouldn't recommend it.

I keep my carpets and jungles together respectively, and they love each other, and will keep my GTP's together, but after seeing so many stimmies with other stimmies inside them, I definitely wouldn't recommend it.
Jungles are carpets.

Jungles are carpets.

haha. Anyway... I can't say I've read of that many stories about ants eating each other- someone said that antaresia were known for showing cannibalistic tendencies; I know aspidites are known reptile eaters, but as far as I'm aware, snakes as a whole are opportunistic feeders.

In the same breath, I believe that providing the correct environment and taking the necessary precautions such as never feeding them together or inside the enclosure, you can limit the percentage of risk involved. Obviously it's not fool proof, but if you insist on keeping them together, at least you can practice common sense.

I hope you understand the risks involved and have also assumed the responsibility to your current snake and have made plans [at the pet shop you are rushing off to I presume] to have it sexed. If you have two males or two females, there could be big trouble and you could go from 1 python to 0 pythons.

Provide plenty of hides on both the hot and cold side.
Do not feed them together inside the click-clack - remove them and feed them in a tub separately.

Snow- were they a m/f pair? I can't remember whose it was.[/QUOTE
I was joking ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back