How to post blue tongue from Queensland to NSW

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitneytanks

Reaction score
Not sure if posting in the right forum but I was wondering if it is possible to post a blue tongue from Queensland to NSW
If there is could you possibly let me know of how to do it and roughly how much it is going to cost

Horrible idea .... You need to use a reputable courier service IF YOU MUST SEND a live reptile from Qld to NSW.

Personally I'd never send a reptile long distance. If the buying isn't prepared to take personal delivery of the reptile he would never be able to buy off me.

Why is it a horrible idea is there a better way of getting it from Queensland?

Why is it a horrible idea is there a better way of getting it from Queensland?

It's mainly all opinionated & having a sense of morals. Most owners of reptiles/amphibians/invertebrates etc, wouldn't want their animal in distress; so it's only seen as wrong to freight live reptiles. Unfortunately, sometimes it's the only way to go; freight is available, but you'll find quite a lot of owners would prefer not to cause any distress to the reptile. Reptiles are sensitive too, so shipping them is a lot harder on them compared to a dog or cat for example.

Anyway, back to your question, it can easily be done by freight if they're willing to do it. A oedura marmorata that was for sale in QLD was $70 freight to Victoria, so you could even expect $50 from NSW to QLD. But I don't understand why you'd need to freight a blue tongue into QLD. They're very common, you could find them quite cheap from a local private seller in your area.

I have bought reptiles from NSW and far north QLD with no problems,sorry I can assist in any information on how its done.but I am sure that if you wait you will get an informed response to this question.Perhaps instead of post you mean freight.

It's mainly all opinionated & having a sense of morals. Most owners of reptiles/amphibians/invertebrates etc, wouldn't want their animal in distress; so it's only seen as wrong to freight live reptiles. Unfortunately, sometimes it's the only way to go; freight is available, but you'll find quite a lot of owners would prefer not to cause any distress to the reptile. Reptiles are sensitive too, so shipping them is a lot harder on them compared to a dog or cat for example.

Anyway, back to your question, it can easily be done by freight if they're willing to do it. A oedura marmorata that was for sale in QLD was $70 freight to Victoria, so you could even expect $50 from NSW to QLD. But I don't understand why you'd need to freight a blue tongue into QLD. They're very common, you could find them quite cheap from a local private seller in your area.

I disagree; it happens all the time by a LOT of respectable breeders. If it's done correctly then there's no issue of healthy reptiles arriving at the other end. My latest acquisitions were sent from Melbourne to Townsville and the breeder is a Veterinarian. I would remove the inclusion of "most owners" from your statement and make it simply your opinion, which of course you are entitled too :)

Australian Air Express is a good option as previously mentioned, but for a lizard of the value of a bluetongue (nothing against the lizard, I also have a bluetongue :D ) the cost of shipping it will greatly outweigh the actual cost of the lizard - something to consider.

I disagree; it happens all the time by a LOT of respectable breeders. If it's done correctly then there's no issue of healthy reptiles arriving at the other end. My latest acquisitions were sent from Melbourne to Townsville and the breeder is a Veterinarian. I would remove the inclusion of "most owners" from your statement and make it simply your opinion, which of course you are entitled too :)

Australian Air Express is a good option as previously mentioned, but for a lizard of the value of a bluetongue (nothing against the lizard, I also have a bluetongue :D ) the cost of shipping it will greatly outweigh the actual cost of the lizard - something to consider.

Yeah, definitely true that that would be my opinion on it. I just find a lot of freight with reptiles to be all too common with injury etc. I know definitely that it can be done & arranged quite easily & done safely, but I find that it'd probably be best to pick-up the animal via car. But sometimes we just can't help the fact some species aren't in our state. But yeah, that would be my intake on the situation. So yeah, Whitney, it would be best to pick one up locally as you'll be buying for nearly double the price of one bluey if you're going by freight.

sending reptiles by frieght or courrier is normal and its pretty safe as i have never had or heard of a reptile dying or getting injured.

it all comes down to how the sender packs them.

i have bought a central netted, 2 female beardie, 2 golden tailed geckos, 2 blueys, 2 ocellated velvet geckos and a woma sent to me by courier, why because were they were being sent from was way to far for me to travel.

they all arrived safe and well packed except for the beardies but none died and none were injured.

some species are not so popular in captivity or in some cases i wanted a specific locality and sex and the only one i could find was to far so courier is a must for me at times.

also to answer the OP's original question you can not mail live reptiles through australia post but can through a courier

sending reptiles by frieght or courrier is normal and its pretty safe as i have never had or heard of a reptile dying or getting injured.

it all comes down to how the sender packs them.

i have bought a central netted, 2 female beardie, 2 golden tailed geckos, 2 blueys, 2 ocellated velvet geckos and a woma sent to me by courier, why because were they were being sent from was way to far for me to travel.

they all arrived safe and well packed except for the beardies but none died and none were injured.

some species are not so popular in captivity or in some cases i wanted a specific locality and sex and the only one i could find was to far so courier is a must for me at times.

also to answer the OP's original question you can not mail live reptiles through australia post but can through a courier

Hmm, maybe I should be more accepting of freighting with reptiles. Just personal experiences & some friends of the family with their Morelia bredli being freighted. However, it was only couple minor incidents.
Where did you get your ocellated velvets from if that's okay with you? :)

Hmmm I was wondering the same about freighting blueys...
Ocellated velvets are not available to keep in victoria ATM.

Hmmm I was wondering the same about freighting blueys...
Ocellated velvets are not available to keep in victoria ATM.

As expected, the restrictions are so tight in Aust. Even down to the state region they still keep a tight lid on it. May just need to head up to QLD, they have the best variety imo.

It's mainly all opinionated & having a sense of morals. Most owners of reptiles/amphibians/invertebrates etc, wouldn't want their animal in distress; so it's only seen as wrong to freight live reptiles. Unfortunately, sometimes it's the only way to go; freight is available, but you'll find quite a lot of owners would prefer not to cause any distress to the reptile. Reptiles are sensitive too, so shipping them is a lot harder on them compared to a dog or cat for example....
The freighting of live reptiles is commonplace and in the vast majority of cases little or no harm is caused to the reptile. I think that you'll find that most reptile keepers don't see it as wrong to freight live reptiles, if it's done correctly.
I also disagree that the shipping of reptiles is a lot harder on them compared to a dog or cat. In fact I think that you'll find that the opposite is true.

The freighting of live reptiles is commonplace and in the vast majority of cases little or no harm is caused to the reptile. I think that you'll find that most reptile keepers don't see it as wrong to freight live reptiles, if it's done correctly.
I also disagree that the shipping of reptiles is a lot harder on them compared to a dog or cat. In fact I think that you'll find that the opposite is true.

Mmm, I guess you're right. I just have the same opinion as lizardwhisperer in a way where if you're not really willing to go for personal delivery as he mentioned, then yeah. I wasn't really thinking through what I said so I do take that back. Sounds like I've had a hissy fit though, ahaha, I apologize to the thread creator for that. :p

the geckos were from just past newcastle and from were i live thats 2.5 hours there and 2.5 back and i can not do a 5 hour trip with a 26 month old screaming plus stopping to change and feed her would have taken at least 6 hours. the geckos were off someone on here.

the blueys i know are available everywhere but i wanted 2 males and no one had sexed males for sale at the time so i have get them couriered.

I have nothing against people who freight, honestly, I'd just much rather pick them up personally. This went way off topic though, so I apologize again.
Actually, Whitney, a lot of people actually give away their blueys every so often, you may be able to find a few someone is willing to give to a good home like yourself. If you look carefully, I'm sure you'll be able grab a couple. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back