Newb: stimson python question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Camm8

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi
I'm new to owning a snake as a pet. I've had my stimmy for 3 days now. Hes a year old and is in a 2 foot enclosure. I got him out this afternoon for his first handling since coming home with me. I had him out for about 5 mins while I was changing the water and moving his hide(hasn't used it so tried to make it abit more private for him). He was very calm with my hands moving around and showed no sign of aggression. He seemed generally happy to be out and about. I'm now eager to get him out again tonight. Just wondering if it's bad to get him out more then once a day in general or at this stage(being only new)?

Thanks for any input you can provide.
Cam

Go for it , as long as the snake shows no signs of stress it will be fine. Each snake is different like people and they all handle different amounts of handling before becoming stressed. I personally like to handle my snakes when I must but think that it won't hurt them if monitored correctly.

To be honest if he seems calm and happy handling him twice a day isn't too bad. Just keep an eye out for any stress whilst handling and use your judgement and common sense! Enjoy :)

Hi Cam,

I'm a bit of a newbie too. I have a Stimmy in a similar sized enclosure - mine is about 3 years old. While it's not going to harm him, in my opinion, I'd leave him now for a day or so to get used to his new surroundings, especially if he's not using his hide yet. The hide is really important for them to feel safe and adapt to their environment. My guy will use his hide after being handled, after feeding, during shed - it's like his fortress of solitude. They are usually pretty chilled snakes (and yours sounds like a really calm one, like mine) but handling them does present some degree of stress, so I don't handle mine more than once a day and not during periods of change, like shed or for 24 hours after cleaning or feeding. Other Stimmy owners have different views, as you can see, but this practice has worked perfectly for me over the past 12 months or so.

Thankyou very much for your replies. Didn't think they'd be so fast! He wraps up inside his large fern whenever he sleeps rather then his hide. But the hide I bought is very open. I tried to find a more enclosed one today with no luck but will try another shop tomorrow. I should ask then, what are some keys signs of stress while handling? All I was really looking for was any sign of aggression that he didn't want to be out. I'm still timid about grabbing him with my hand to take him out and I'm using a small hook(paint roller) to get him out.

Thanks again everyone!
Cam

The best hide I found was a plastic saucer from a pot plant - about 2cm deep and only $2 and a nursery. All I did was turn it over and cut a small hole in the side of it. Covered it with substrate and a few rocks to create a cooler area and bingo - my Stimmy LOVES it.

Your confidence will build with your new mate. Give yourself time. You will soon learn to spot any signs that might be planning to bite. In almost a year, my Stimmy's taken a swing at me only once - and that was because I smelt of mouse.

If he doesn't eat for you...it will most likely be due to the stress of change in environment and handling he's not used to. If he's eating well, I wouldn't worry although do not handle for at least 24 hours after feeding.

I moved his log to get his basking spot warmer and put some of the fern leaves across the front of the hide and handled him for about 15mins. He was just sitting on my arm chilled out and noticed his tongue constantly going. Which I assume is him getting my scent. Today he's in his hide now so I assume the fern leaves made him more comfortable. Reptile shop told me don't worry about more heat as summer is coming but his basking is only getting to 29.5 and lower is 26(when lights on during day) but at night it gets alot colder. Should I get some more heating or not worry?

I have a UTH connected to a dimmer so I can adjust appropriately. Let us know when he takes his first feed and good luck!

Just thought I'd let you know that he has been handling very well and has started using his hide every day. Managed to get my basking upto 32 and my substrate 26. He had his first feed with me tonight and was no issue. Very large pinky rat wasn't an issue. He's due for a shed in the next few weeks according to his charts. Will keep you posted thankyou.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back