Sorry another nebiew question about shedding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 38619

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi,

Fritz just shed his skin for the first time, seems like eyes
Etc all came of with skin. How long until I can touch him again?

Thanks

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

when you and fritz feel comfortable !!.

sounds like a good shed so he is probably fine to hold and then feed tonight .

It's best not to handle snakes for a few days after they slough.

Their skin seems to be more sensitive to touch and possibly/probably more fragile, just as it is in the days leading up to sloughing.

of all of our snakes the only one I don't go near after a slough is our coastal (but she is cranky always ). I even had the pleasure -thrill of an unsuspected slough by our male stimson while I was holding him ,he rubbed his nose into me and just started ,maybe it was my slightly hairy arms that he found helpful

of all of our snakes the only one I don't go near after a slough is our coastal (but she is cranky always ). I even had the pleasure -thrill of an unsuspected slough by our male stimson while I was holding him ,he rubbed his nose into me and just started ,maybe it was my slightly hairy arms that he found helpful
My woma and BHP's will rub their nose on me when hungry and then try to eat me , gently though because they are just hungry and not angry . lol.

Took fritz out today without the kids around, he still has some skin around his belly area and not sure around the tail.

He was friendly, did not snapp at all and seemed to enjoy it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If Fritz has a bit of loose skin, gently rub it off with a damp cloth. He will be much more comfortable after that. Be sure to check the tail tip carefully, too.

hello,

I gave Fritz a rub with a damp cloth but did not seem to make too much difference, the tip of the tail still does not seem to have shed so I gave him a little bath in a centimetre of lukewarm water.
It is now two days after he shed the majority of the skin except the tip of the tail any suggestions what I should do?

Thanks a lot

Steve

Steve, you really want to make sure you get that tail fixed up immediately!

This is a result from not removing the shed from the tail tip in time
shed tail.jpg

Its usually from low humidity, which is pretty common in winter.
Add a 2nd water bowl to the WARM end of the reptiles cage (Still leaving the 1st one at the cool end). Or spray the warm end of the cage a few times a day, for a day or 2 and then try removing the excess shed from the tail. It can be tricky if its suck on really tight. I have most luck with a towel in my hands and letting the python slide through it, once the tail gets to my hand, I add a bit of pressure and after so many tries, it comes off.

Steve, you really want to make sure you get that tail fixed up immediately!

This is a result from not removing the shed from the tail tip in time
View attachment 296125

Its usually from low humidity, which is pretty common in winter.
Add a 2nd water bowl to the WARM end of the reptiles cage (Still leaving the 1st one at the cool end). Or spray the warm end of the cage a few times a day, for a day or 2 and then try removing the excess shed from the tail. It can be tricky if its suck on really tight. I have most luck with a towel in my hands and letting the python slide through it, once the tail gets to my hand, I add a bit of pressure and after so many tries, it comes off.

ok thanks a lot doing that now

just wondering would be his feeding day today, do i hold off with that?

He will be hungry. Feed if you want to, but rub that tail bit off!

He will be hungry. Feed if you want to, but rub that tail bit off!

Thanks again mate, took me now 20 mins and lots of soaking but got the tip off Fritz seemed to know that I tried to help him and endured it quite well now a feed.

Last edited:
Thanks again mate, tools me now 20 mins and lots of soaking but got the tip off Fritz seemed to know that I tried to help him and endured it quite well no a feed.

Good to hear dude, well done. They are not as stupid as most people think hey. He definitely knew you were helping mate. They co-operate very well when they know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back