Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky85

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys

I want to put a waterfall into my Southern Angle Headed Dragon enclosure. To achieve this, I want to pump water from a pond, up a height of around 400mm, so that it trickles back into the pond over a piece of cork bark. Im not really sure about the type of pump to use? Are all aquarium filters capable of pumping water through a tube? Can anyone suggest any brands/models? I was sort of looking at the Repticlear F350 or the Aqua One 102 pumps? Im just not sure of the power/flow rate i require.

Cheers

Cheers Clairmont. How does it go in the filtering/keeping the water supply clean department?

It's just a pump I was using a filter spounge over the whole pump for a while but then I put fish & plants in my water area, I use it in a Dainty tree frog tank & they don't dirty the water too much not sure how messy Southern Angle Headed Dragon's make their water, it's a handy little pump & easy to hide behind rocks or branches.

Most pet shops will have the AquaOne range of power-heads.
They're pretty powerful & some come with rain-bar attachments to achieve the effect you want.
You can also get plastic compartments with filter sponge that you can attach to them.

Not sure on how much filtering that you will need for your application but the sponge filters described above do not provide a lot of filtration. Are you keeping fish in the water? How much waste from your lizards will there be?

The pond will only be about 300x300mm roughly and deep enough to cover the pump, so no fish. I would like to filter the water as they do tend to defecate in their water a bit plus there is peat coir in the enclosure which will most likely scatter into the water a bit. I will refresh the water every few days but im hoping the filter will help to maintain the quality of the water. Im also working on an extra low voltage misting/rain system. My idea being to pump water from a storage container through some irrigation tubing, and out through sprinkler type heads. The pump would run on a timer. If i come up with a working design i will post my results on here. I realise i could probably buy a monsoon mister or such, but i like to be creative myself. I do use a manual sprayer now, but sometimes I forget so i think the automated approach would be a goer.

The pond will only be about 300x300mm roughly and deep enough to cover the pump, so no fish. I would like to filter the water as they do tend to defecate in their water a bit plus there is peat coir in the enclosure which will most likely scatter into the water a bit. I will refresh the water every few days but im hoping the filter will help to maintain the quality of the water. Im also working on an extra low voltage misting/rain system. My idea being to pump water from a storage container through some irrigation tubing, and out through sprinkler type heads. The pump would run on a timer. If i come up with a working design i will post my results on here. I realise i could probably buy a monsoon mister or such, but i like to be creative myself. I do use a manual sprayer now, but sometimes I forget so i think the automated approach would be a goer.
Changing water that frequently will probably kill any beneficial bacterial in the filter so you will probably be only getting particle filtration out of your filter but may get enough filtration for your needs. Someone more intune with this type of setup may be able to give you better advice as this is only my thoughts.

You could turn the storage containor into a sump just google images cut some glass or plastic and silicon it

You could turn the storage containor into a sump just google images cut some glass or plastic and silicon it

My problem is that I need to find a pump which will create enough output pressure to make the water spray out the nozzles. And im not sure of the calculations required to work that out. I thought about useing a sump pump, with a float switch, in a bucket. Still the issue is finding the correct size pump.

Changing water that frequently will probably kill any beneficial bacterial in the filter so you will probably be only getting particle filtration out of your filter but may get enough filtration for your needs. Someone more intune with this type of setup may be able to give you better advice as this is only my thoughts.

I guess thats why I ask the questions on here...to find the people in the know. Thanks for your input.

Hey Guys

I want to put a waterfall into my Southern Angle Headed Dragon enclosure. To achieve this, I want to pump water from a pond, up a height of around 400mm, so that it trickles back into the pond over a piece of cork bark. Im not really sure about the type of pump to use? Are all aquarium filters capable of pumping water through a tube? Can anyone suggest any brands/models? I was sort of looking at the Repticlear F350 or the Aqua One 102 pumps? Im just not sure of the power/flow rate i require.

Cheers

Hi Sparky how did you go? I'm looking at doing something very similar with my water dragon enclosure.... I'm looking to section off about 55cm of my enclosure by siliconing in a piece of glass... Giving a depth of approx 10cm... Works out to be a total of 25 litres

Also researching pond pumps that have filters. I want to push water up about 70cm high & cascade Down the back of the enclosure...

Anyway I'm interested to see how your enclosure turned out & any advise u could provide... See the below pics of pumps...
za6upuje.jpg
e6ety2e7.jpg

This is a pic of the background that I'm looking to get a similar design made with the piping built Into it...
eqeze8a5.jpg

Hey Deadly

Funny you posted today as I actually just finished the enclosure and fired up the waterfall today! Turned out pretty awesome. I ended up using a small aqua pro pump from bunnings. Cost me $15. Has no filter so Ill see how it goes. Ill be changing the water each week or as required so ill see how messy my SAHD end up being. Ill keep you posted. Ill put up a thread later with my enclosure pics.

Hey Deadly

Funny you posted today as I actually just finished the enclosure and fired up the waterfall today! Turned out pretty awesome. I ended up using a small aqua pro pump from bunnings. Cost me $15. Has no filter so Ill see how it goes. Ill be changing the water each week or as required so ill see how messy my SAHD end up being. Ill keep you posted. Ill put up a thread later with my enclosure pics.

Pics or it didn't happen! ;-)

You dont need to change it every week it will kill the bacteria ad andy said its a good idea to cycle the water so it makes a population of good bacteria

You dont need to change it every week it will kill the bacteria ad andy said its a good idea to cycle the water so it makes a population of good bacteria

There is going to be no fish and there is no filter so cycling the tank is a waste of time. There is also no need for worrying about good bacteria. The miniscule amount that will grow on the walls of the pond will not help what so ever with filtration so better to change the water frequently (weekly). I for one would have spent another $30 and bought one with a filter because doing big water changes ever week is going to get old very fast.

There is going to be no fish and there is no filter so cycling the tank is a waste of time. There is also no need for worrying about good bacteria. The miniscule amount that will grow on the walls of the pond will not help what so ever with filtration so better to change the water frequently (weekly). I for one would have spent another $30 and bought one with a filter because doing big water changes ever week is going to get old very fast.

Keeping this in mine... For simplicity & practicality of the build & the upkeep in water maintenance I do believe this the way to go... internal pump with filter + weekly water changes... Job done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back