newbie questions...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyePie

Reaction score
im getting an 8 month old stimsons python thats 30cm long in a couple weeks, i already have most of the things i need, except for a few things, however...
- the enclosure is 100cm x 45cm x 55cm. it is melamine, with two small vent things, and a large mesh sheet covering half the top.
- i have cleaned (properlly bleach soaked and everything) some wood from my garden....
- i dont have substrate yet (planning on getting dessert sand when its older)
- i have a click clack that im planning on putting inside the enclosure without a lid for it to explore if it wants
- the lady im getting it off says she feeds it 2 fuzzy mice
- i have 3 hides (one from the pet shop and two from the garden that are small hollow logs.

These are my questions:
1. can i put my click clack inside the big enclosure and leave the lid off so he can explore if he wants?
2. can i use fake grass in the click clack?
3. what supstrate do i use in the big enclosure?
4. im going to get a ceremic heat emitter, what wattage should i get?
5. how do i clean the fake grass?
6. what is a cheap website that i can buy fake plans on?
7. can i use a heat mat sitting in my enclosure under the click clack?
8. can i put the water dish in the enclosure, instead of the click clack?
9. what is something that looks nice, that i can put in the enclosure (substrate)?
10. what should i name it?

thanks in advance :)

A lot of your questions are answered if you look up and compare care sheets. Research is your friend when getting a new snake. For example, you don't mention how you want to use your heat sources (uth/ basking/both) or a hygrometer, and substrates can be many different things depending on what you prefer although sand is usually used for lizards and aspen or cypress for snakes...still it just depends...many people use newspaper or paper towels. From your questions, I would recommend additional reading on your snake before you make any decisions.

im getting an 8 month old stimsons python thats 30cm long in a couple weeks, i already have most of the things i need, except for a few things, however...
- the enclosure is 100cm x 45cm x 55cm. it is melamine, with two small vent things, and a large mesh sheet covering half the top.
- i have cleaned (properlly bleach soaked and everything) some wood from my garden....
- i have a click clack that im planning on putting inside the enclosure without a lid for it to explore if it wants
- i have 3 hides (one from the pet shop and two from the garden that are small hollow logs.

These are my questions:
1. can i put my click clack inside the big enclosure and leave the lid off so he can explore if he wants?
9. what is something that looks nice, that i can put in the enclosure (substrate)?

Hi Skye,

I think Matt and I already answered some of these questions for you on Facebook, but if you type some key words into the search function and you will find the information you need.

Posting a newbie list of questions that have been covered in previous threads doesn't translate well. It makes it look like you're not willing to do the research yourself and are waiting for someone to spoon feed you.

I'm not trying to be rude, simply honest. Some of your questions seem a little silly though. I strongly suggest you do some more research and possibly think about why you want a reptile. Don't let anything deter you if you are set on getting one but it is a very long commitment (20 - 30 years) so being prepared is very important. There is a lot of information out there if you're willing to look.

Happy researching :)

Lawra's reply says it all really, but if you absolutely need the answers, here they are:
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Yes
6. Yes
7. Yes
8. Yes
9. Yes
10. Yes

;)

These are my questions:

Hi , just to give you some variation on the previous answers
1) leave the lid on for a week or two and when you do take it off make sure you have a light guard that will definitely not let your snake through .
2) you can use fake grass , but using paper towels is easy to clean (throw away )
3) for our snakes we use a layer of newspaper then paper towel ( its just what we do !! ) sand -- even though they say its uncoloured usually turns your animal that colour .
4)your enclosure isn't all that large so probably 100 watt. assuming that you have a thermostat to regulate your temps
5)use paper towels or buy two pieces of fake grass and hose one clean and dry in the sun and just swap them over as needed
6) Dollar shops , but give the plants a good tug before you buy them to ensure they don't fall apart
7)yes but why if you have a ceramic heat emitter . and you use a thermostat
8)again why, a little snake will not go exploring that much and will feel more comfortable in the click clack
9) have a look .
!0) It wont come when you call it so what ever makes you happy .

Your bleached log should be un bleached , this is a native animal and while its captive bred it can handle all the stuff that's outside , so a tree with a bit of dirt on it is better than one with bleach on it . What you don't want is ants or other little crawlie bugs in your enclosure

Good Luck

Lol not willing to start a debate but isn't coming onto a forum and asking questions actual research?
I think I would prefer advise from owners who actually have snakes now, not a book or fact sheet written 5-10 years ago
Having said that a little research first always helps.
Not much to add to what borntobnude wrote except I agree about bleaching not the best idea.
I have boiled stuff before and/or used the oven to dry and further sterilise....it takes some practice though as I started a few small fires.

I've just got an 8 month old RSP, and he is in a large click clack, and quite happy for several months to come.

So for your Stimmie, I'd get a bigger click clack, put in the appropriate amount of air holes (depending on where you live), put on third of it on a heat mat attached to a thermostat, and make sure the hot end gets to around 30-32.
I sandwhich my heat mat between two tiles (with a small gap for air flow) and then place the click clack one third of the way onto the heat mat.
I put the thermostat probe (through a hole) on the floor of the hot end, and a thermometer probe next to it, but I also have an infrared thermometer to check the temps.
A hide (light globe box, or similar) in the warm and cool end, put the water dish in the warm end, line the bottom of the click clack with paper towel, easy to clean.
An 8 or 13w heat mat would suffice, depending on how big your click clack is, but have a search on click clacks and see the set ups, it's easy to do.
And good on you for researching BEFORE you get your snake.

Don't worry about your enclosure just now, no need for it for a while yet.

If the snake is being fed 2 fuzzies, it can go up a size in feed I think, but let the snake settle in for a week or two before handling it, and make sure your temps are spot on BEFORE you feed. :)

Some good pics here too, of a click clack set up

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/herp-help-38/eating-207251/

Click on the link called not eating

Last edited:
i have googled every single thing that i could, and i just couldnt find some of the answers anywhere,...

that's ok , this is a great site for newbies and more learned herpers to pick up information

that is what its here for :D

I actually just bought a click clack and set it up similarly to a recommended thread on setting up an enclosure for hatchies. (am getting a wheatbelt stimson's) So far this is what i've done:

-Invested in a 10l food container from bunnings (with the sistema-style lockable latches)
-covered 3 of the sides in black schoolbook contact to help the little one feel more secure
-purchased a soldering iron (fairly cheap) and punched a super neat grid of holes over the top and sides of the click-clack
-got a couple of different sized hides
-got a tile to put over my heat mat so that the heat is more uniform
-put two rods of dowel through the containter as some sort of climbing apparatus for an engaging environment. (was thinking of getting some plastic lattice mesh i've seen people with, that i've seen other's hatchies seem to like)

next on my list:

-finally purchase my heat mat from herpshop.com.au (aussie sun= waterproof) good rep
-purchase thermostat
-digital thermometer
-find a good substrate that isn't newspaper or paper towell (this might prove to be tricky, preferably somewhat naturalistic, but the overwhelming feedback is that paper towel or butchers paper is the way to go)
- put a rocks in there

Anyway, i'm counting down the months until I get my hatchie next seaon, so am keeping myself busy with DIY and research so that i'm fully set up and knowledgable prior to getting the little guy

Most people including myself would not put rocks in there but overall it sounds like you are ready to go. The other thing is you could have gone a little smaller for a hatchling stimmy for the container and usually toilet rolls with the end closed is great for hides.

i dont think its even possible to research anything else... and i wanted actual people that would answer my questions... because the fact sheets, ive read all of them, they dont answer every single question that i have...

Most people including myself would not put rocks in there but overall it sounds like you are ready to go. The other thing is you could have gone a little smaller for a hatchling stimmy for the container and usually toilet rolls with the end closed is great for hides.

Thanks for the feedback andynic. I was tossing up the small rock, maybe i'll give it a miss. The toilet rolls are a great idea, thinking maybe i'll substitute the rock then. Thanks for the feedback!

Just make sure there is something rough to shed on but sounds like a very well researched setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back