Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Dave

I've been trying to get in touch with you about locality specific womas.

Can't send you a PM though as your inbox is full.

Also does anyone have North Westerns from WA in captivity? If not how long before there would be any collected?
There are not supposed to be any in captivity at the moment. I know there are a couple of licensed takers in Broome and there are no doubt a few who might want to make a collecting trip up north. However, that has to be balanced with the paperwork you need to put in first, gaining permission of the land owner of the property on which you wish to collect - not always a given, particularly if 3 or 4 others have been there before you and the owner is getting very peeved. Takers need to factor in total time spent and and transport costs, including depreciation on vehicles and then their own effort. Bottom line... collection from remote areas is not a financially attractive or rewarding proposition and is only likely to be undertaken by those that live within reasonable striking distance. Whatever, it is going to take a bit of time, particularly if takers pass on what they catch to a given individual to breed them so as to make only the offspring available for sale.

Blue

I've sent a message through Facebook on what I'm after. :)

I recieved a reply from Gordon Wyre this afternoon regarding egernia depressa

From memory it was a taxonomic issue associated with the splitting of the species into several new species or something similar and proposal that some of the new groups would be considered threatened.

I will get more detail for you. Note also that the new group of species will remain on the “possible” list while the new status is sorted further.

So it is still being assessed and I imagine will be included on the gazzette when the second list of six is finalised.

Would anyone have any idea as to what species might be added on the next list? (hehe maybe some D. superba anyone?)
Anyway good luck to you snake breeders and especially to those in WA.

this is the next batch of 6 currently being assessed

Common Tree Snake (Dendrelaphis punctulata)
North-west red-faced turtle (Emydura australis)
Pilbara Rock Monitor (Varanus pilbarensis)
Northern Bluetongue (Tiliqua s. intermedia )
Banded Knob-tailed Gecko (Nephrurus wheeleri)
Yellow-faced Whip-Snake (Demansia psammophis)

Oh damn, well it doesn't take a genius to guess what species on that list has me excited...

The WA Yellow-faced Whipsnakes, especially those closer to Perth, are just gorgeous - very much brighter than here on the east coast.

Jamie

And still no Acanthophis praelongus... Sigh.

Bluetongue1, there is one North-west carpet in captivity that I know of - it's held on a Reg 16 by someone in the Kimberley. That itself poses some probs, but nothing insurmountable.

Simon

My understanding is that we are not permitted to breed our reg 16 reptiles and furthermore can not trade reg 16 reptile to private keepers.
No matter, its an excuse for me to go hard core remote Kimberly bush lol

Yes, a few of those Cape Crawford beauties will do for starters, Nigel! Heh, but I might be in an old people's home by the time they are on our list...

Adderboy and Snowman,

My mistake about the Nor-west Carpet. I had been told about it in the past but was not thinking 'Reg 16s' when referring to "captivity". Besides which, I am getting old...

As Dave has said, they are particularly strict about reg 16 animals and what may or may not be done with them. Once an animal has been put on a Reg 16, it remains as such, irrespective, and can only be transferred to another Reg 16 license. Whatever the means of sourcing animals turns out to be you rest assured that neither is going to be readily availble in a hurry.

I agree about the whips, Jamie. But I would still trade you for a creek that runs all year and a colony or water dragons.

Blue

Adderboy and Snowman,

My mistake about the Nor-west Carpet. I had been told about it in the past but was not thinking 'Reg 16s' when referring to "captivity". Besides which, I am getting old...

As Dave has said, they are particularly strict about reg 16 animals and what may or may not be done with them. Once an animal has been put on a Reg 16, it remains as such, irrespective, and can only be transferred to another Reg 16 license. Whatever the means of sourcing animals turns out to be you rest assured that neither is going to be readily availble in a hurry.

I agree about the whips, Jamie. But I would still trade you for a creek that runs all year and a colony or water dragons.

Blue

Well Mike, you'll need to come back to NSW to have year-round creeks. We have two very deep gullies on our property, one with a 10m waterfall, alas they only have pools at the moment, but when it rains a bit our waterfall roars for days! Lots of big Dendrobiums (flowering now actually), Bangalow Palms and elks & stags... very pleasant... but the surrounding higher country is dryish sclerophyll with Cymbidium suave in the higher trees...

Jamie

I don't think there is much of a choice between BTS and RSP ATM - BTS are available now RSP 2-3 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back