Cat problem

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

princessparrot

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
So there's been this cat coming into our yard and scaring my aviary birds to death. It isn't scared of my dogs or anything and comes down to ground level, not just on the roof. I bought the one bird that survived inside about a month ago when it happened(with my princesses:cry:. I've lost two aviarys of bourkes parrots from it) And I want. To put her back out with a new mate, but I don't want it to happen again.... Is there anyway I can stop the cat or anything else I can do to stop this problem..

Does your local council rent out animal traps.If it does get one, trap the offending cat and return trap and cat to council. Viola! No more cat problem.

Does your local council rent out animal traps.If it does get one, trap the offending cat and return trap and cat to council. Viola! No more cat problem.

I had her of cat traps and was thinking about it :) lost $500 worth of birds to that darn thing:evil:

what am I meant to do with the cat afterwards?

Last edited:
Id catch the cat and put a note on the collar that says "next time this cat is in my yard is the last time you see it!"
I do not by any means have any intention you hurt an animal, but im sure a loving cat owner would keep the cat in after that.

We keep our bengal inside or in a cat run. Its disgusting that people let their cats roam. Responsible cat ownership isnt an option its an obligation.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 2

If you catch the cat in a trap the local counsel should take it, and if its got ID the owners will have to pay impound fees etc if no one collects it may go to adoption or cat heaven, if they are able to ID the owner you may be able to request the info and try hit the owners up for replacement costs of your lost birds etc

Id catch the cat and put a note on the collar that says "next time this cat is in my yard is the last time you see it!"
I do not by any means have any intention you hurt an animal, but im sure a loving cat owner would keep the cat in after that.

We keep our bengal inside or in a cat run. Its disgusting that people let their cats roam. Responsible cat ownership isnt an option its an obligation.

Bengals are awesome! Good on you for being responsible, they can do some damage lol

Cat cage and take it to the pound, if its costing you money, it should cost the owners money too when they have to get it out of the impound!

Would only happen once. Sure they would'nt like any of my animals in their backyard. If you can't control your animals don't have them.

A few things have worked for us over the years. Sicking the hose on it, cracking a stock whip at it, slingshot. Do you know who owns it? Go and ask them to keep it in, they may just surprise you

This is against the law and if they find out who did it you can be charged.

It is illegal under some councils to trap animals without a license, you need to check.

i once rang the rspca about a feral cat that had kittens in my back yard they said they were to busy and they asked me to pick u a cat trap and trap it and return it to them.

ring your local council and ask them and also your local rspca. if they all do nothing and it is illegal to trap in your area then borrow a dog that hates cats and will terrify it to death instead of your birds.

good luck

This is against the law and if they find out who did it you can be charged.

It is illegal under some councils to trap animals without a license, you need to check.

Yes sure lol. Trap it . As ive said before. Place a rat in a seperate cage inside trap( $35 off ebay) irresistable to a cat. Then do with it as you please. No cats live
near me anymore. If tbey cant keep them under control they are GONE!

I used to buy finches from a breeder that had a major problem with cats at night and loss of birds as a result. A farmer mate of his gave him a bit of electric fencing which he put around the top of his aviaries. He said you could hear a hit from inside the house. The culprits may end up as far a metre from the aviary. The important result was that any cat “bitten” by the high voltage never returned for a second dose. So he only uses it when there is a new cat in town and once it has done the job he turns off the power.

Having touched an electrified fence with my face, while reaching to examine a wildflower, I can fully appreciate why cats are not prepared to return to the scene of the crime. It does no permanent damage but the short term effects leave you wondering if you are going to live or die. Really disconcerting and totally disorienting, a combination that animals just cannot cope with as it is so totally foreign to them. The pain aspect is extremely short lived but sufficient to act as a strong deterrent to risking a second boot.

I am very sorry to hear of your losses. Despite the fact that we had an enclosed section for roosting in the aviary my dad built when I was kid, we still lost quail and a few other species that got spooked and broke their necks hitting the roof due to cats. A dog in the yard can help, except when it is sleeping and the cat is fully active. The other alternatives do not ensure that given cat will be not be out and about again at night, unless you trap it and knock it on the head. Given it may be someone’s daytime pet, I reckon the electrified fence is the best alternative all round. That is my opinion and reasons why I hold I hold that opinion.

Blue

Yes sure lol. Trap it . As ive said before. Place a rat in a seperate cage inside trap( $35 off ebay) irresistable to a cat. Then do with it as you please. No cats live
near me anymore. If tbey cant keep them under control they are GONE!
I find plenty of dead rats around the yard. I thought it was the dogs at first but I think I may know the real culprit, and if that is the case he sure does love rats
I am very sorry to hear of your losses. Despite the fact that we had an enclosed section for roosting in the aviary my dad built when I was kid, we still lost quail and a few other species that got spooked and broke their necks hitting the roof due to cats. A dog in the yard can help, except when it is sleeping and the cat is fully active. The other alternatives do not ensure that given cat will be not be out and about again at night, unless you trap it and knock it on the head. Given it may be someone’s daytime pet, I reckon the electrified fence is the best alternative all round. That is my opinion and reasons why I hold I hold that opinion.

Blue
Yeah usually in these situations I go out the next day just to find feathers everywhere with my birds just laying all floppy on the ground. Heard it fighting with the dogs last night, hope that teaches him a lesson(though I doubt it did)

Last edited:
.308 Should stop the cat dead in its tracks :twisted:

Jokes aside, using some spices, such as chilli powder sprinkled on the ground near the aviary may deter it from approaching the birds, as the scent is quite strong (Works on most dogs).

We also have a cat around at the moment, and I'm working on various ways of scaring it off, as it has been crapping everywhere in our nice garden. If I ever catch it, I'll send it straight to the nearest RSPCA shelter, check the micro chip (if it has one) and send a nice little invoice to the owner, that way they should learn not to let it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back