Underwoodisaurus milii enclosure and care.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptiles101

Reaction score
Here goes, I was in mixed minds about if I should get a knob-tailed gecko or a Thick-tailed gecko...but I've been doing loads and loads of research over the past few months, and I've deeply decided to go with an Underwoodisaurus milii, I remember that a 90x45x45 Exo Terra terrarium was just insane for a couple of thick-tails...so I've listened to what every one has told me on the forum and I went out and bought an 45x45x45 Exo terra terrarium...so is this suitable enough to house 2 adult Thick-tails in?

For substrate I'm going with red desert sand mixed with some Eco Earth Coconut husk...is this okay to mix these two together?

I'm going to purchase a heat mat with a built in Thermostat thats going to b set to about 27 degrees C, is this fine to use?...its going to cover about 1/3 of the floor of the tank.

Can I use a light from the compact top I bought with the terrarium to view the geckos?...(Exo Terra 25 wattage Blue infrared night light)

Thanks,

Sean

Last edited:
Thicktails survive without heat with temps down to single digits ;) it's over 30c for days on end you want to watch them as they don't go well in extended heatwaves,...mist several times a day in really hot weather,..put tub on bathroom floor helps.

A 45cm cube is about right for a pair. Several hides so one can get away from other if it wants.

Price should be 50 for standard and up to 100+ for Hypo (reduced black)

Will be a bunch released in the next few months.

Good luck.

Okay thanks Smithers! Yeah I understand they can get heat stress very easily, I'll be turning the heat mat off during days exceeding 30 degrees, to avoid killing them.

I've got my tank sorted (Exo Terra Terrarium 45x45x45) heating sported (heat mat with built in thermostat) substate sorted (red desert sand mixed with Eco earth coconut husk) hides/decor/water bowls sorted, my reptile license, the geckos them selves, and I've got some good books 'A guide to Australian...geckos and pygopods' by danny brown'.and keeping Australian geckos by Rob Porter'.

So I think I'm pretty much ready to go

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I use a light from the compact top I bought with the terrarium to view the geckos?...(Exo Terra 25 wattage Blue infrared night light)

Thanks,

Sean

I'm going to assume milii is nocturnal like knob-tailed geckos. For a viewing light, I recommend a wavelength they cannot see, such as inferred for night time viewing as just after sunset is when they're most active (and pre-sunrise but lets face it who in their right mind is up at that hour viewing geckos!).

I have never used these but have been reading forum threads in case I decide to make a display enclosure in the future.

Can anyone else clarify with some certainty that geckos/reptiles cannot see inferred light? Also are there any other lighting options that humans can view and geckos can't apart from inferred?

EDIT: I just realised you said blue inferred. I didn't know they existed but I think they are what I have been talking about. An alternative to red coloured light they cannot see but we can.

Yeah thanks Thyla...so a blue infrared night light is fine to use?

I've got another question, can thick tails climb glass or the fake rock wall that's in the back of the Exo terra terrarium?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
As I live in the Northern suburbs of Melbourne, does a Thick tail gecko require heat? As I few people have told me on this forum that its not a need to have any form of heat, just want to make sure I can keep them without heat.

As I know Thick Tails can get heat stressed very easily and die, so is a heat mat a need?

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about providing any heat, especially since it's starting to come into the warmer months.
Just make sure they don't get too hot and mist the enclosure accordingly to prevent this.
As Smithers said they can survive in very cold conditions, have been known to still be eating in temperatures as low as 8c.
I used to have a few and there never seemed to be any dominance issues or fighting.

Alrighty thanks Tobe404...the heating with these geckos has been bugging me for so long now, but now I know that heating isn't really required for these geckos.

Any other tips on housing or care on Thick Tails?
I've also got another question about Thick Tails, can they climb the fake rock wall that's on the inside of the Exo Terra Terrarium?

Last edited:
I doubt you'd need to worry about them climbing the fake rock wall.
I used to use a stump/log from the backyard as a hide which they could of climbed onto quite easily if they wanted to but never did.
They aren't known for climbing much (if at all) and are specifically a ground dwelling species.

Okay thanks, I'm getting Peanut (Thick-tailed gecko) on Sunday, so I'm super exited!

Alrighty thanks Tobe404...the heating with these geckos has been bugging me for so long now, but now I know that heating isn't really required for these geckos.

Any other tips on housing or care on Thick Tails?
I've also got another question about Thick Tails, can they climb the fake rock wall that's on the inside of the Exo Terra Terrarium?

My thick tails climb on the rock wall and then go on the mesh roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back