Cat problem

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you heard the cat 'fighting' with the dog then the cat was winning. If the dog wins then victory is swift - either a dead cat or an unconditiona rapid retreat. Things like a supersoaker water gun loaded up with an ammonia based household cleanser or vinegar are effective in the short term. But as I say, there is only one acceptable solution that I know of which is permanent - an electrified fence. Guaranteed to work.

Blue

This is against the law and if they find out who did it you can be charged.

It is illegal under some councils to trap animals without a license, you need to check.

Not sure what your council laws are so I won't comment as to you being right or wrong but I had a cat problem and rang the council about it and their solution was to rent me a trap for a large amount of money and then hand the cage and cat into the pound. What I ended up doing was buying a trap cheaper than the rental fee and trapping the cats myself then handed them into the pound. That way if the owners loved their cat they had a chance to rescue it and if it came back it would cost them more and more money if they kept letting it out. Completely legal in my local area.

Bluetongue1 has the right idea haha, I can imagine the reaction to a boot from an electric fence, I'm a farm girl and can attest to the pain and confusion after and decent whack, particularly when wet lol. Traps work too and most councils are happy to supply one, with fee of course, but they'll come back and collect the offending cat and if you can prove it contributed to the death of your birds, the owner of the cat can be charged, depends on local council laws etc, which are fairly tight in my area and getting tighter, they kill too many natives. And I agree with bluetongue about the fight, it's a tough cat not overly afraid of dogs if it's not backing down and getting into a scrap with your dogs, plural, you have more the one dog? I think only a feral cat would take on more than one dog?

I traped a cat in my trap next to the rat shed so i left it for the whole day and let him go the next morning .. It Never returned

My view is if you love your cat then don't let it off your property. Cats on my property are not seen again ever... End of story.

My view is if you love your cat then don't let it off your property. Cats on my property are not seen again ever... End of story.

Couldn't agree more, the single best method is to remove the threat on a permanent basis.

Couldn't agree more, the single best method is to remove the threat on a permanent basis.
Yep. Anything in my property is my problem and I deal with it. I don't care about anything else. It's irrelevant to me. At the end of the day if one of my snakes escape and a neighbour takes to it with a shovel it's my fault. Same goes for neighbors cats.

As already has been said, get a cat trap from the council and catch it. If you want to stop it comming back but dont want to hurt the cat, once its caught put the trap with cat inside in the back yard, get the hose and let fly with a good jet of water. Dont stop untill you have broken the cats spirit. Trust me you will know when this happens. Open the cat trap and you will never see the cat on your property again. I have used this method before with a cat that was getting into my rat shed. Works extremely well.

Having a similar issue, except it's to do with my car. I have a new neighbor with two cats, both are free roamers.
Now I'm not a 'my car is my life' person, but I take care of it, paint protection, always clean, etc. So to go into the carport and find tuffs of hair, dry liquid marks, and paw prints all over the bonnet, I see red. Have caught it there a few times.

I've tried the sprays you can get to deter cats n dogs from certain areas, that doesn't work. Might do the neighborly thing and speak to them, but if it continues on from there, something to give it a bit of a shock might be in order, enough to make it never want to come near my property again.

Cat trap, take it to the pound, I am a cat owner and my cats are never allowed outside (they have an outside enclosure though) to roam, keeps them safe and keeps the wildlife safe as well.

I don't agree with knocking a cat on the head either, it's not the cats fault, they are just doing what they do, hunting, the owners are to blame....so do the right thing, trap it and take it to the pound/ring the ranger, or set up the electric fence (but check with your local laws, as they can be illegal in suburbia) and your dogs might get zapped as well.

I have had a couple of unwanted cats turn up over the years all I do is catch them, put them in a box and give them to the RSPCA
and say no I don't want to leave my details.

To date have never had a problem with this method.

I detest free ranging cats and their idiot owners.

I bought my own cat trap and I've disappeared 2 cats so far. I don't warn their owners that I've got a trap, nor do I warn them that their cats will never come back if I catch them, and I do not involve the council rangers, did that once, the damb cat came back that day and I was abused by the owners for having the gaul to trap their free ranging murderous cat , that I've been complaining about for months (was exterminating the wild water skinks, frogs, garden skinks, and parrots and doves , and attacking the little possums etc that I was trying to encourage into my yard by feeding them) , their cat was not registered, not microchipped and not collared (ie illegal) as well as being a wildlife predator and a pest.

My advice is buy your own trap, don't tell the owners of the cat/s of your plans, and just deal with the cats quietly and permanently

IMO if a pet comes onto your premises and harms or damages your property or your pets or any wildlife on your premises, it's far game and you can use any means at your disposal to deal with it.
It also indicates a total lack of respect you by the offending pets owners.

Last edited by a moderator:
I detest free ranging cats and their idiot owners.

I bought my own cat trap and I've disappeared 2 cats so far. I don't warn their owners that I've got a trap, nor do I warn them that their cats will never come back if I catch them, and I do not involve the council rangers, did that once, the damb cat came back that day and I was abused by the owners for having the gaul to trap their free ranging murderous cat , that I've been complaining about for months (was exterminating the wild water skinks, frogs, garden skinks, and parrots and doves , and attacking the little possums etc that I was trying to encourage into my yard by feeding them) , their cat was not registered, not microchipped and not collared (ie illegal) as well as being a wildlife predator and a pest.

My advice is buy your own trap, don't tell the owners of the cat/s of your plans, and just deal with the cats quietly and permanently

IMO if a pet comes onto your premises and harms or damages your property or your pets or any wildlife on your premises, it's far game and your can use amy means at your disposal to deal with it. It also indicates a total lack of respect you by the offending pets owners.
Exactly!!! Tried to do the right thing and it just causes all sorts of grief. Stealth and innocence is the only way.

Last edited by a moderator:
.308 Should stop the cat dead in its tracks :twisted:

Jokes aside, using some spices, such as chilli powder sprinkled on the ground near the aviary may deter it from approaching the birds, as the scent is quite strong (Works on most dogs).

We also have a cat around at the moment, and I'm working on various ways of scaring it off, as it has been crapping everywhere in our nice garden. If I ever catch it, I'll send it straight to the nearest RSPCA shelter, check the micro chip (if it has one) and send a nice little invoice to the owner, that way they should learn not to let it out.

Getting a big fine and invoice from the council ranger had absolutely no effect on the way my idiot neighbours let their mungrel cat roam (day and night), just made them vindicative and nasty (abusive) towards me.

Last edited:
Bluetongue1 has the right idea haha, I can imagine the reaction to a boot from an electric fence, I'm a farm girl and can attest to the pain and confusion after and decent whack, particularly when wet lol. Traps work too and most councils are happy to supply one, with fee of course, but they'll come back and collect the offending cat and if you can prove it contributed to the death of your birds, the owner of the cat can be charged, depends on local council laws etc, which are fairly tight in my area and getting tighter, they kill too many natives. And I agree with bluetongue about the fight, it's a tough cat not overly afraid of dogs if it's not backing down and getting into a scrap with your dogs, plural, you have more the one dog? I think only a feral cat would take on more than one dog?
I actually have three dogs! a kelpie, a moodle and a milky(Maltese cross silky) none of them ever bother the birds. the milky actually just sits (or used to) face to face with then princesses and they just talked to eachother :) I do like the idea of a trap. im in Canberra and cant find much about the rules here...

I actually have three dogs! a kelpie, a moodle and a milky(Maltese cross silky) none of them ever bother the birds. the milky actually just sits (or used to) face to face with then princesses and they just talked to eachother :) I do like the idea of a trap. im in Canberra and cant find much about the rules here...

Everything is legal in the ACT :p lol

I wouldn't advise hurting them though, trapping seems to be the way to go.

Compared to some of the last suggestions I would point out that with the electrified wire there is no need to prepare and use bait, move a probably stroppy caged animal, drive it to the nearest pound or dispose of the carcass or maltreat it any more than the few microseconds of boot it already got. The wire can be left in place and turned off or run for a month or so at night to deter any other felines from a vacated bit of territory.

Permanently removing genuine feral cats will ultimately have no effect on their local population. Total exclusion using a continuously maintained predator proof fence is the only effect way to deal with that problem.

Whatever, I hope you can get back to enjoying your birds without the threat of losing them.

Blue

Compared to some of the last suggestions I would point out that with the electrified wire there is no need to prepare and use bait, move a probably stroppy caged animal, drive it to the nearest pound or dispose of the carcass or maltreat it any more than the few microseconds of boot it already got. The wire can be left in place and turned off or run for a month or so at night to deter any other felines from a vacated bit of territory.

Permanently removing genuine feral cats will ultimately have no effect on their local population. Total exclusion using a continuously maintained predator proof fence is the only effect way to deal with that problem.

Whatever, I hope you can get back to enjoying your birds without the threat of losing them.

Blue
with that, where would I get some and would it pose a threat to my dogs/other animals around. also not sure where I would put it

I am so sorry to hear about your birds, thats extremely sad.
In terms of the cat, I like Blue's idea - The electric fence.

Or catching them, if you know the owner I would certainly be bloody putting a bill in their letterbox for the electric wiring and your birds.
People that let their cats go feral really annoy me!

I have a ragdoll cat and she is indoors for this reason!

Edit - Not to mention she is fixed and has never had kittens!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back