Glass door frame help.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Snowman

Hi,
I'm looking for info on how to make the frame for a glass door. In particular the joining for the corners of the wood frame.
Any help and pictures would be appreciated.

How big are they? I've done mine by doing 45 degree miters and then using corrugated fasteners and wood glue to glue it together. I've made frames up to 1mX1m using this for doors. You can then route a groove in the frame for the glass to sit in and silicone in. The corrugated nails can be annoying to get in square and proper to say the least. You need to hit them square on everytime with a hammer cause if you hit them on an angle it's all over red rover.

Like this ----> Glues

Last edited:
Depending on how big you want them Snowy, you could simply cut them in one piece out of a sheet of 18mm exterior grade ply, cut the aperture for the glass (using a router and guide to get a perfect finish) then rout a rebate for the glass and use an adhesive like Sikaflex, some grades of which have better adhesion to wood than silicone does. You can then finish it however you like.

Jamie

I did all of mine using 75mm wide strips of MDF.Didn't bother cutting mitres,just used a biscuit joiner and butt joints then glued and clamped.Routed out a 10mm rebate to inlay the glass and held it all in place with some beading.

Thanks guys. Plenty of food for thought there. Will let you know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back