Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slitherress

Reaction score
So about a week ago or so i said i was looking into getting my first snake and was looking at womas but now im cosidering a bredli which one is better for a first snake what are the pros and cons of both

I'll just leave these here.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_4177.jpg
    IMG_4177.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 3BT6cPA.jpg
    3BT6cPA.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 104
this is my little one only born in april never even trys to bite and always eats like a lady

Attachments

• 20130903_190646.jpg
    20130903_190646.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 20130903_190537.jpg
    20130903_190537.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 20130903_190550.jpg
    20130903_190550.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 68
I'll just leave these here.

Likewise :D

byquvuta.jpg

ety7y9ep.jpg

zuja2y3u.jpg

womas stay smaller than fullsize bredli.

Wow beautiful snakes but what are they like temperament wise and are they good for a first snake and your answer was obvious lol

Hahahaha just leaving those pics of tht gorgeous bredli laying around. Wonder if urs hs a great temperament like my bredli

The very brightly coloured one has a good temperament, he's just a big baby.

The big brick of a snake on the chair isn't so nice and will snap at you if you do something she doesn't like.

They both have crazy food responses.

Bredli make great first snakes, they're inexpensive, generally very placid. The biggest pro to them as a first snake though is they're almost bulletproof, they tolerate higher and lower temps very well (not that this is an excuse to not have optimal temps, but it can be tricky getting them right at first), not to mention they love their food.

I am pretty biased though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't speak for a woma personally, but have a Bredli and she is so placid the kids can pet her head. She's been nothing but a pleasure since the day we got her :D

uraza7e3.jpg
gyqy9ysy.jpg
jemybyhu.jpg

I was speaking to the breeder about getting a woma and she tried to point me toward a bhp instead, saying they were a little easier with feeding etc. I have heard others say Woma's are perfect for them though. I think it all comes down to choosing which one will make you happy for the next couple of decades :)

This is my sooky woma and my son holding him.
y8ymy7yq.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

One of the cons of a woma is the intense feeding response but that can also be a positive because they will always eat for you. A pro is they will not need as large of an enclosure or as much food all saving money. They are both great first snakes and you are better choosing by what size and colour best suits you.

Not sure if this to facebook is allowed but it was easier then asking Tony for permission to show the picture on here and understand if mods delete it but it shows the size of a large Bredli.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...928940.-2207520000.1378806466.&type=3&theater

Last edited:
The very brightly coloured one has a good temperament, he's just a big baby.

The big brick of a snake on the chair isn't so nice and will snap at you if you do something she doesn't like.

How big and old are they

Everyone has their opinion. Personally I'd say go a woma. I absolutely love our girl. She's two yeas old and she's an amazing snake. Out of all of our snakes she has the most personality and loving nature. We have a rule when handling her now. We don't allow her to only be handled for a small amount of time. If we don't hold her long enough she chucks a tantrum and just hangs her whole body against the glass begging to come out. We are purchasing a male for her shortly.

Some very nice snakes posted

Some beautiful bredli's here. If it helps, I too was looking for my first snake (settled on a wheatbelt stimson's), but only heard great things about womas in terms of excellent temprement and feeding

thanks guys after all this reading I think im leaning more towards the bredli but I have 2 more questions
1-out of the 2 snakes(womas and bredli) is one more temperamental and biter then the other
2- due to there large size would someone like me (first time snake owner) have trouble handling a bredli by myself and on average how big do they get because some say 2meters and others say 2.5 meters

thanks guys after all this reading I think im leaning more towards the bredli but I have 2 more questions
1-out of the 2 snakes(womas and bredli) is one more temperamental and biter then the other
2- due to there large size would someone like me (first time snake owner) have trouble handling a bredli by myself and on average how big do they get because some say 2meters and others say 2.5 meters

Either snake can have the exception to the rule. If you get your snake as a young one you will learn to handle it. Have a look at the link I put in my earlier post for the size they can grow too.

you will love whatever you get. i see alot more bitey womas then bredli but thats just a observation. i have two bredlis one was puppy dog placid since day one the other settled down at about 250g

G'day mate the only advice I can give you is pick which one you like the most and go for it. If you're worried about the size just get a hatchling and by the time it grows bigger you will be more experienced and confident in handling it.

As for temperament I think its all up to the individual snake and you've just got to take it as it comes. Its going to bite you at some stage just be prepared for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back