Cat problem

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at a house last week that had an issue with possums walking along their fence, They stopped it by using a motion activated set up that turned on a strobe and a high pitched alarm.
This worked well on the possum and would work on cats to I imagine.
Personally I trap them, and return them to their owners with a warning.
They get one chance.
When I live in the bush, they don't get that

If the high pitched alarm is human audible you'll find the neighbours will soon be banging on the door telling you shut it down, or the police (noise pollution laws) especially if it's going off at all hours of the day and night and when people are trying to sleep.
The strobe would also have maximum annoyance factor too.

Plus - why should you spend your money controlling neighbourhood cats ? Trap them and permanently deal with them.

Princessparrot I have the exact same problem. The next door neighbours free roaming cats come into my house and frighten my little Blue Mutation Princess Parrot. They also have scratched my car from sitting on it. Now what I do is every time I see the cats I throw something at them, scream, clap, run, honk at them to scare them. They will not come onto my property anymore for their fear of me. They also have a free roaming dog that I do the same too. I also go around once a month and collect all their dog and cat poo that's in our yard and put it on their driveway to hopefully teach them some sort of lesson.

On another note these type of cat owners are the FIRST people to blame a venomous snake for the death of their free roaming cat when it was their responsibility to keep it inside away from danger.

Princessparrot I have the exact same problem. The next door neighbours free roaming cats come into my house and frighten my little Blue Mutation Princess Parrot. They also have scratched my car from sitting on it. Now what I do is every time I see the cats I throw something at them, scream, clap, run, honk at them to scare them. They will not come onto my property anymore for their fear of me. They also have a free roaming dog that I do the same too. I also go around once a month and collect all their dog and cat poo that's in our yard and put it on their driveway to hopefully teach them some sort of lesson.

On another note these type of cat owners are the FIRST people to blame a venomous snake for the death of their free roaming cat when it was their responsibility to keep it inside away from danger.
That is not a bad idea, place a reptile pit with a few taipans or eastern browns in there around the bird cage.

So there's been this cat coming into our yard and scaring my aviary birds to death. It isn't scared of my dogs or anything and comes down to ground level, not just on the roof. I bought the one bird that survived inside about a month ago when it happened(with my princesses:cry:. I've lost two aviarys of bourkes parrots from it) And I want. To put her back out with a new mate, but I don't want it to happen again.... Is there anyway I can stop the cat or anything else I can do to stop this problem..

The answer is simple;

Cat.....shotgun....no problem!!!

I miss the days when you could just hit the cat in the bum with a slug gun. Lol, they jump so high. They won't come back for a few weeks, but if they did they'd get hit with my Chinese side cocked slug gun ( xtremely powerful for a sluggy) :) and I never saw them again.

Just had a thought. I remember seeing a friends parent haveing a pigeon roost house thing that had 50+ pigeons in it that was double housed. A building in a building. Between the two you plant it up or something so the birds couldn't be seen on the ground up to whatever height you wanted the plants to. Or you could use those reed Mat lengths to do the same type of thing

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if I'm repeating what has already been said but i was too lazy to read through 5 pages to see if its been said already.
When it comes down to it as far as I know everywhere in Australia once your cat is off your property the council can take it away. At least that's how it is here in Brisbane and northern nsw. So as soon as a cat is off its own property the council will lend you a trap to trap it and they will take it away. There is pretty serious fines for wandering cats and dogs, my parents are going through the same thing with their neighbors dogs coming into their yard. They first got a trap from the council but couldn't catch them so after the council has given the neighbor more than enough time to put up fences and contain their dogs it's still going on so now they have a nuesance complaint against their dogs so every time my parents or the other neighbors complain they will get escalating fines.

Too bad you can't import those nice high powered hunting slingshots from O/seas. I bought one and it never arrive, all I got was letter from customs saying it was confiscated and they are prohibited here.

I have a feral cat problem in my neighborhood. My idiotic neighbor thought it would be a good idea to show her daughters "the miracle of life." 5 years later there are at least 25 strays roaming my hood. My girlfriend used to let her cat outside from time to time one night it got into a good fight. It had a nice sized gash above his eye, it was also missing a tooth. A couple weeks later it was not healing correctly. I had to take it to the vet. Almost a grand later(mainly due to dental work we found out it has cat aids. Now we have to keep it inside because we don't want him to spread it to other cats.

I don't know if any of you have had to keep a outside cat inside but, it is the worst experience ever. the damn cat wont shut up. It sealed the deal for me. I truly couldn't hate cats more. Anyways a few months ago I bought a trap to try to rid m neighborhood of these foul beasts. I was catching a cat a night for a week. They would wake me up at night thrashing and howling. I would go outside and throw a towel over the cage to calm them down till animal control could take them.

I am always seeing half eaten birds and dead squirrels. I cant wait to catch the last few and finally get my bird population back to normal around my house. I love to have my coffee in the mornings and watch the birds interact with each other.

Last edited:
I have a feral cat problem in my neighborhood. My idiotic neighbor thought it would be a good idea to show her daughters "the miracle of life." 5 years later there are at least 25 strays roaming my hood. My girlfriend used to let her cat outside from time to time one night it got into a good fight. It had a nice sized gash above his eye, it was also missing a tooth. A couple weeks later it was not healing correctly. I had to take it to the vet. almost a grand later(mainly due to dental work we found out it has cat aids. Now we have to keep it inside because we don't want him to spread it to other cats. I don't know if any of you have had to keep a outside cat inside but, it is the worst experience ever. the damn cat wont shut up. It sealed the deal for me. I truly couldn't hate cats more. Anyways a few months ago I bought a trap to try to rid m neighborhood of these foul beasts. I was catching a cat a night for a week. They would wake me up at night thrashing and howling. I would go outside and throw a towel over the cage to calm them down till animal control could take them. I am always seeing half eaten birds and dead squirrels. I cant wait to catch the last few and finally get my bird population back to normal around my house. I love to have my coffee in the mornings and watch the birds interact with each other.

I pretty much agree with all of that! I find heaps of dead birds and rats in my yard and stuff. used to have rosellas, king parrots and native finches in our yard, but they've all gone

I forgot about the rats. Sometimes m girlfriends cat escapes and it hunts mice one night the cat and my dog were hunting them together. It was pretty funny. The cat would chase and swat at it, my dog stomped its paw on it and chased it is it ran by him.

Here. All cats must be micro-chipped and Inside or locked up at night. If not. You may trap them and take to council or pound. The hire places have the traps.

Here. All cats must be micro-chipped and Inside or locked up at night. If not. You may trap them and take to council or pound. The hire places have the traps.
Awesome

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome

And very few are (micro-chipped and kept enclosed AT ANY TIME if EVER). Cats are much more destructive (kill more birds, small fury native animals, lizards, frogs during daylight hours then at night), the rules are stupid.

My experience is that following the rules and taking the trapped cat to the council (or arranging for their ranger to collect it) or taking it to the pound is a pointless exercise and more than likely results in - the animal comes back (and becomes impossible to trap again), and the owners become very abusive and vindictive.

Cheaper to buy your own cat / possum trap via Ebay. You'll have it for forever and can use it whenever you need to.

Best to stealthily permanently disappear the cat once trapped .

Last edited:
I have a Rottweiler and Mastiff, and surprisingly enough, and funnily enough I've never had a problem with strays.

Even though they'll both sleep with the house cat haha,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back