Keeping a Varanus acanthurus in outdoor enclosure with supplemental heating (Sydney)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcloughlin2

Reaction score
A similar thread to another posted but I didn't want to hijack the other one.

Has anyone kept ackies outside in Western Sydney year round with supplemental heating? I'm not talking a pit, more an enclosure similar to a rabbit hutch off the ground. So excessive moisture isn't an issue and no one better tell me humidity is too high as I can't see how it will be any higher then it will be in an enclosure in a well ventilated room (like a loungeroom).

Reason I ask is I don't like keeping reptiles inside anymore due to smell and excessive heat during summer with all the heat lamps. I don't see any issues with it but would be good to get confirmation.

A similar thread to another posted but I didn't want to hijack the other one.

Has anyone kept ackies outside in Western Sydney year round with supplemental heating? I'm not talking a pit, more an enclosure similar to a rabbit hutch off the ground. So excessive moisture isn't an issue and no one better tell me humidity is too high as I can't see how it will be any higher then it will be in an enclosure in a well ventilated room (like a loungeroom).

Reason I ask is I don't like keeping reptiles inside anymore due to smell and excessive heat during summer with all the heat lamps. I don't see any issues with it but would be good to get confirmation.

I would have thought the amount of rain we get may create health issues.

But with 1/3 the enclosure an enclosed box and a purpose built cover to go on the top during extended rainfall I can't see how, although I do not have prior experiance with them? The enclosure has been built with drainage in mind, water will literally flow off as quick as it falls.

I would have thought that the increased humidity than that of their natural habitat would equal a heightened risk of RI. They dont naturally occur there for a reason.

Have you measured and compared the humidity levels between outside and in an indoor enclosed habitat?

A way around the smell is to clean more often.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

if its too much hassle I wouldn't bother to be honest. You could do it but it would take some custom work to make a good pit with shelter.

There are plenty of accies in the Kalkaringi region and that is subject to typical Top End conditions, 6 cool dry months and 6 of Wet season, 100% humidity and heavy rain daily. They seem to do fine. The temps would be my concern.

There are plenty of accies in the Kalkaringi region and that is subject to typical Top End conditions, 6 cool dry months and 6 of Wet season, 100% humidity and heavy rain daily. They seem to do fine. The temps would be my concern.

Good to know, cheers :)

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

I think temps would be an issues but give it a go! just make sure you keep a close eye on them and I would have an enclosure inside set up just in case it wasn't working

- - - Updated - - -

Also id go more on the lines of a pit with insulated hide boxes

Last edited:
I'd be more concerned with humidity as Ackies are essentially a dry land adapted species. I know Shinglebacks suffer under humid coastal conditions. Though you can get Ackies in coastal areas in northern Oz, you'd have to be familiar with your particular Ackies locale to be on the safe side...IMO.

But with 1/3 the enclosure an enclosed box and a purpose built cover to go on the top during extended rainfall I can't see how, although I do not have prior experiance with them? The enclosure has been built with drainage in mind, water will literally flow off as quick as it falls.

That wont stop the humidity in the air.

kCAUwcFykZ62bF6nrWezO6OFnyiBiAhjtvM0N6HWm1U6Kgk5ACVAq1MgfV5o88Zy5mnEAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
Originally Posted by Stevo2 I would have thought that the increased humidity than that of their natural habitat would equal a heightened risk of RI. They dont naturally occur there for a reason.

Have you measured and compared the humidity levels between outside and in an indoor enclosed habitat?

A way around the smell is to clean more often.

I understand your line of thinking but I come from a different angle. Having looked at some climate data for other inland/arid climates and comparing that to Sydney. Aside from some differing humidity levels the main difference is the fact that Sydney tends to get colder faster and takes longer to warm up. Temperatures are usually within comparable range of each other, although summer peak temperatures are obviously hotter in arid regions. This is where my idea of supplemental heating comes into play. I struggle to see how humidity will be their downfall, providing they have a warm and dry area to retreat to.

I have measured some humdity levels in the past, nothing recently. Levels were often the same in the reptile one style enclosures and could be either higher or lower in your typical melamine enclosure depending on water source. Yes cleaning frequently is something I do, this isn't practical though when your talking large skinks (which is what I keep now). Which don't just go once a week, or at the same time and when they do it stinks.

if its too much hassle I wouldn't bother to be honest. You could do it but it would take some custom work to make a good pit with shelter.

Being able to keep them outside means the difference between me keeping them or not keeping them. The enclosure has already been designed and built by myself so no issues there. It's actually quite easy.

Thanks, exactly the sort of information I was after! I will check out some climate data to see how off the temps are.
I think temps would be an issues but give it a go! just make sure you keep a close eye on them and I would have an enclosure inside set up just in case it wasn't working

- - - Updated - - -

Also id go more on the lines of a pit with insulated hide boxes

Yeah the idea is the 1/3 of the enclosure which is covered will have the heat lamp in there providing a warm and dry hide.

I'd be more concerned with humidity as Ackies are essentially a dry land adapted species. I know Shinglebacks suffer under humid coastal conditions. Though you can get Ackies in coastal areas in northern Oz, you'd have to be familiar with your particular Ackies locale to be on the safe side...IMO.

I'm curious, have you yourself or anyone you personally know kept shinglebacks and found them to suffer from RI when kept in Sydney in enclosures which are warm and dry? Most cases I've seen or heard of have been when people keep them in typical outdoor pits. Which are usually just areas of ground with a fence around it, which lacks proper drainage and often don't have an area which will stay completely dry in torrential rain (like the underground pipes/bunkers which are commonly used).

That wont stop the humidity in the air.

No it won't but you said you thought the higher amount of rain Sydney gets would be a problem, not humidity lol.

I'm curious, have you yourself or anyone you personally know kept shinglebacks and found them to suffer from RI when kept in Sydney in enclosures which are warm and dry? Most cases I've seen or heard of have been when people keep them in typical outdoor pits. Which are usually just areas of ground with a fence around it, which lacks proper drainage and often don't have an area which will stay completely dry in torrential rain (like the underground pipes/bunkers which are commonly used).

I've personally kept Shinglebacks from the Grampians (Western Vic) outdoors in Melbourne and had all die within months due to RI's. This was years ago, before reptile licencing and no amount of dry retreats/ heat offered any relief...very tragic outcome. Why not just keep the Ackies indoors where you know they'll be fine?

As said, out of personal choice I want to avoid keeping reptiles indoors. So I'm thinking outside the box to see if I can push the limits (without negatively impacting on the reptiles health). I appreciate your input, especially regarding the shinglebacks.

What about "Sunning enclosures"? I do this with my elapids over the warmer months with good results.

I also know someone who kept a Perentie outdoors in Canberra that suffered RI's then tragically froze to death over winter, despite being offered a warm, insulated retreat. Many tropical/ desert herps don't seem to have the natural instinct that local cooler climate species aquire to avoid hazardous weather.

No it won't but you said you thought the higher amount of rain Sydney gets would be a problem, not humidity lol.

The issue with the amount of rain is the dampness and humidity it causes, I thought that would be obvious.

I am wondering why you bothered posting this thread if you had already made your mind up?

mcloughlin2 as already stated that ackies might not be suitable, have you researched anything else that would cope better outside? Or can anyone post any alternatives to consider

Suitable lizards for outdoor enclosures in the Greater Sydney area include:
Lacies
Eastern Beardies
Jackys
Heath Dragons
Water Dragons
Cunninghams
Eastern Bluetongues
Eastern Water Skinks
Land Mullets

There are a bunch more but that list should give you a decent idea.

mcloughlin2 as already stated that ackies might not be suitable, have you researched anything else that would cope better outside? Or can anyone post any alternatives to consider
"might not be suitable"
Has anyone tried and failed to keep ackies outside in western Sydney? Then how does anyone know they won't thrive? I know a guy keeping native green tree pythons outside all year round on the central coast queensland, that are thriving and breed every year but if someone posted a thread asking this the "experts" would say its not possible... Old world thinking.

Setup up an enclosure inside just in case they can't thrive outside in your area and give it a go but keep a very close eye on them. Then if it does or doesn't work post it on here but be prepared to still be told it doesn't work by the experts tho

Last edited:
"might not be suitable"
Has anyone tried and failed to keep ackies outside in western Sydney? Then how does anyone know they won't thrive? I know a guy keeping native green tree pythons outside all year round on the central coast queensland, that are thriving and breed every year but if someone posted a thread asking this the "experts" would say its not possible... Old world thinking.

Setup up an enclosure inside just in case they can't thrive outside in your area and give it a go but keep a very close eye on them. Then if it does or doesn't work post it on here but be prepared to still be told it doesn't work by the experts tho

Exceptions (such as Green Tree Pythons outside of normal range) don’t prove or disprove rules, they’re just exceptions.

You’re riding a fine line between experimental husbandry and animal cruelty when you suggest that any animal should be tried under any circumstances. It’s good to promote discussion but your suggestion that experimentation should take preference to further research is a little odd.

Exceptions (such as Green Tree Pythons outside of normal range) don’t prove or disprove rules, they’re just exceptions.

You’re riding a fine line between experimental husbandry and animal cruelty when you suggest that any animal should be tried under any circumstances. It’s good to promote discussion but your suggestion that experimentation should take preference to further research is a little odd.
Really? It has already been said that ackies are found in area that do have high humidity similar to western Sydney. I would doubt that people keeping this locality of ackie would be keeping it any different to other localities. Do people that have a vic locality of Lacie keep them different to a North Queensland locality? Keep googling mate....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back