Another substrate question...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrx-chick

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thank you for all of your replies in my recent post about upgrading our bluey's enclosure. Have managed to find a URS enclosure that someone bought and did not use, so got it at a great price :)

My next question is what substrate do I use? Up until this point, I was using the Earthwise kid safe soft fall mulch from Bunnings, which he loves digging in, and has worked really well. Unfortunately, as it has taken ages to use up the bag, as he has been in a small tank, Bunnings no longer stock it...

I haven't really looked at other substrates closely for quite a while, but know that they can be quite exxy, and am concerned that filling the bottom of a URS double large enclosure will cost a fortune...

So are there any substrates that might be similar in look/feel to what I have been using (to keep Tiger comfy), which don't cost the earth??

Thanks
Amy

I use sugar cane mulch for my blueys, works great. :)
Edit - Should also be avaliable at bunnings or any other garden store.

Thanks, was looking at that or also coir mulch (also from Bunnings)??

I have used Coir Peat from Bunnings (come in the small bricks, you add water and then dry it out). Wouldn't cost you too much to fill.

Thank you for that :) Looks like I am off to Bunnings to get some coir peat so it can dry out before the weekend, so I can set up the enclosure..

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for that :) Looks like I am off to Bunnings to get some coir peat so it can dry out before the weekend, so I can set up the enclosure..

Can always stick it in the oven ;-)

With mine, I put it in big black buckets, let it expand, then rinsed it out and drained it. Then put it in oven-safe dishes and baked it to dry most of it out. I baked it to kill off anything that MAY be in there. Probably didn't need to, but better safe than sorry.

My BTSs all love their Kritters' Krumble - just be sure to buy the course grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back