Nhulunbuy Herping

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench_Warmer01

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Have recently relocated to Gove for the next few months.

Just wondering if anyone has some herp tips or species that are found here?

Will appreciate any info.

Cheers

Nice place, SteveNT should have a plethora of info for you.

Lots around there though, if you get to a couple of the nice beaches, watch for turtles.

My advice. Be aware of buffalo. I used to work there and go herping on my own as everyone thought i was mad looking for snakes. I had a scare from a buffalo and when I told my mate who has been there a long time, he told me of two mates that were killed by buffalo.

They should be burning off around this time of the year if my memory serves me right. You might see some stuff fleeing the fires. Heres a few critters i saw up there and if anyone can identify them (saltie is pretty obvious) feel free to name them
2aja7ady.jpg

gyjehyry.jpg
usapedyq.jpg
2yheqy4a.jpg
upu2abu5.jpg
a3y6umup.jpg
benedeqe.jpg
upydyba3.jpg
3u5epyhe.jpg

e3ypegev.jpg

I have been told that there are BHPs around the old wartime airstrip. I never made it there though.

Talk to a few locals and see if anyone else is into it. I heard that one of the big bosses at the mine keeps and breeds snakes.

If you can get to know some of the traditional owners you will have a better shot at getting access to land/contacts etc.

Most importantly, take a fishing rod with you, the fishing is excellent

Last edited:
My advice, don't go to the beaches at night....unless you're into close encounters with the salties :) awesome place, I lived there as a kid, heaps of lizards, they were alot of geckos and blue tongues where we lived, you'll find tarantulas too and everything seems to be bigger up there, enjoy your stay mate, and see if you can get out to the point, great fishing and diving :)

That part of the world is loaded with herps. Seek and you will find but as said earlier keep a keen eye out for cheeky buffs and salties.

DSC_0285_edited-1.jpg
This bugger followed me a km back to the car when I was looking for tarantulas in central Arnhem.

The Dhimiru Rangers can possibly sell you a copy of the local "ethno-biology" book. (I assume they have one- most regions do) It will outline most of the common species in the region.

Welcome to the Top End. Enjoy!

If you are downwind of a Buffalo you will definately smell it! Walk into the wind if there is any

Except if you're downwind lol. Follow the wind all you want. But in an encounter dont run. Keep a tree between you and it. If your situation is serious attack the buffalo. Lions think twice when a rabbit goes for their throat.

Thanks for the replies, just wondering which is the best road..

Ive done most of the surrounding roads, its hot at night but im not familiar with temps for NT so dont know if it is good yet?

If you can still get out there, turtle beach is an awesome spot and it's hot all year round, just alot more humid from November on, the reptiles are out and about most of the year..there are some awesome bird species up there too and the bauxite shelves off the tip are full of sea life and lots of painted rock crayfish, but mind the reef sharks, they can be a bit of a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back