MBD Lacie just past away :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry you lost your friend :(

Can we all chip in and help get that book for you, I'll put ten bucks in.

I'm sorry you lost your friend :(

Can we all chip in and help get that book for you, I'll put ten bucks in.

Thats very generous of you, but really not necessary, I couldn't take anyone's money. I appreciate the thought though.

RIP beautiful girl :( Losing an animal is never easy yet alone one that is as special to you as she was. Good on you for giving her the best life possible after what she'd been through. Sorry for your loss.

Sorry you lost her mate.

Would someone mind linking the thread about her.

Not usually one to comment on loss threads, but this one is very different. I can imagine how protective you became of that lacie as time went on, and I can see how she would have become a primary focus for your care, so it's always a hard thing to find you just can't do any more. I'd say that she just finally succumbed to the inevitable, given the obvious ravages of that terrible condition. Hasn't happened to me with any reptile, but I'm old enough to have had a few dogs (and our dogs have always been very much family members) which deteriorate as they age, and it's a deeply sad time when they have to go. All I can say is that time is a great healer, and the value of the life of your little mate to you will become clearer as you go on. I've found that the best antidote to ongoing sadness is to get a squishy new puppy to focus on - not to replace the one just gone (you can never do that) but to give you a new focus... although the loss is awful when it happens, the accumulated joys over the years far outweigh any negatives, and if you've always done your best (as you obviously have done here), you know you couldn't have done any more than you did...

Jamie

sorry for you loss im upset just reading your post.
she was lucky you cared for her so well

Not usually one to comment on loss threads, but this one is very different. I can imagine how protective you became of that lacie as time went on, and I can see how she would have become a primary focus for your care, so it's always a hard thing to find you just can't do any more. I'd say that she just finally succumbed to the inevitable, given the obvious ravages of that terrible condition. Hasn't happened to me with any reptile, but I'm old enough to have had a few dogs (and our dogs have always been very much family members) which deteriorate as they age, and it's a deeply sad time when they have to go. All I can say is that time is a great healer, and the value of the life of your little mate to you will become clearer as you go on. I've found that the best antidote to ongoing sadness is to get a squishy new puppy to focus on - not to replace the one just gone (you can never do that) but to give you a new focus... although the loss is awful when it happens, the accumulated joys over the years far outweigh any negatives, and if you've always done your best (as you obviously have done here), you know you couldn't have done any more than you did...

Jamie

Well said.

I also sympathise for your loss, these things are never easy, especially when so much effort and time has gone into giving them the best life they can possibly have, which is clearly obvious, you have done. I commend the dedication you have shown through your care for such a beautiful monitor.
I would hope that this moment doesn't taint your future in reptile keeping, as you have obviously learnt so much over the last few years, and that is something you will always have. Time will heal.

Sorry to hear you lost lacie, it was alway nice seeing updates on her progress.
Sounds like you had an amazing bond with her,...and she saw you as a friend too.
RIP litttle Lacie. :(

Well now I have to buy the books she's in. Both Dr Danny Browns book and Dr Robert Johnson's. only problem, is Danny's book is around $300 :( not sure how much Roberts book is.

Hi RSP

Thank you for sharing the journey of your little lacie :)....Your story is extremely valuable to us all. RIP Lacie

When you first found her you had hope in your heart and you made a positive difference to the little lacies life and now you learn caring

doesn't always have the desired end result ....(I think most of us have been down that trail.)

Did you advise Danny Brown of the the outcome ?... I am sure he would be interested

Cheers
Sandee :)

Last edited:
sorry to hear about your loss, i enjoyed reading her updates and seeing her pics and am sure she cherished every moment you gave her to live her life, aminals have a great sense to bond with people in special situations and you had one of these special experiences that will stay with you for life, remember all the great times you shared and the joy she brought :)

Sorry you lost her mate.

Would someone mind linking the thread about her.

Heres a link to the original thread on this forum.

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/lace-monitor-mbd-graphic-169275/

Also if you google "Brendan's Reptiles", you will find my website, I have her story there too. It's under "more" - "care sheets & info" - "Lace Monitor With Metabolic Bone Disease". The site is still a work in progress and obviously I need to update Lacey's article on that site, I'll get there.

- - - Updated - - -

Just put her in her final resting place.

An Australian native, for an Australian native. Plus her basking log.
923F9C6B-E7FF-4558-ABB4-191F019BD721-1035-0000018EF6296249_zps6ebad178.jpg

EA37E0EC-A454-4B44-A8E5-D0DCAE55A4CE-1035-0000018F10B46C6C_zps99ca9a91.jpg

I miss her so much. You found a beautiful spot for her HUNI. I can just picture her curled up asleep in her log with her tail tip hanging out.

Well that is just too sad. What a huge loss for you. At least you know that you helped her
get this far and improved her life so much.

I work in the vet industry so see sad cases all the time. I don't know you, and didn't know lacie, but the obvious love and care you had for each other is so obvious. That photo of her final resting place actually made me shed a tear. There are always those special ones that just claim your heart and will never be forgotten.

RSPCrazy,
It began as a challenge to rectify the effects of malnutrition in a lizard. It developed into a special bond between carer and ‘patient’. The personal interactions and level of responsiveness are something we would well expect from a mammalian pet, like a dog. But from a reptile? No. It really is quite special. Remarkable!

Those of us who have lost ‘special’ pets can readily relate to where you currently find yourself. An important part of your everyday life is suddenly gone forever. In its place, a void, lacking the activities, the interactions, the emotions, the responsiveness, the purposefulness. While it does not diminish the hole created, the fact that so many others do understand should provide a little strength to cope and also more than a glimmer of hope for the future. As mentioned, wounds of the heart need the healing hands of time. In the meantime, follow the advice given and try and reflect upon the positives he created in your life, as best you can.

Sharing of your story has no doubt helped many to understand that MBD is not simply a thinning of bones but is a serious affliction that can affect the whole range of body organs and their functioning. It also demonstrates that reptiles can be more responsive than we usually give them credit for. A couple of real positives. Thankyou for them both!

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back