Keeping a Varanus acanthurus in outdoor enclosure with supplemental heating (Sydney)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? It has already been said that ackies are found in area that do have high humidity similar to western Sydney. I would doubt that people keeping this locality of ackie would be keeping it any different to other localities. Do people that have a vic locality of Lacie keep them different to a North Queensland locality? Keep googling mate....

I'm not questioning the possibility of “animal X living in environment Y”, I'm questioning your logic. You seem to think that because something is theoretically possible, that it's fact; that's not how the real world works.

You can’t make a determination based on a single factor such as humidity. To do this would discredit Darwin’s theory of evolution, all current theories on ecology and generally disprove science in general. You can certainly discuss the idea, but to suggest it as certain is misleading and false.

I'm not questioning the possibility of “animal X living in environment Y”, I'm questioning your logic. You seem to think that because something is theoretically possible, that it's fact; that's not how the real world works.

You can’t make a determination based on a single factor such as humidity. To do this would discredit Darwin’s theory of evolution, all current theories on ecology and generally disprove science in general. You can certainly discuss the idea, but to suggest it as certain is misleading and false.

I'm not basing my opinion on a single factor but on experience first hand (not google) of reptiles being kept successfully outside in localities that they are not found in in the wild. Sometime an animal can thrive in a different locality but the reason they aren't found in this area is because there are unsuitable conditions/ natural barriers that prevent them from getting there. People have kept ackies in pits in Brisbane with no problem so I believe the humidity isn't a problem

The issue with the amount of rain is the dampness and humidity it causes, I thought that would be obvious.

I am wondering why you bothered posting this thread if you had already made your mind up?

I figured you meant the high levels of rain which yes does cause dampness could be an issue, which is why I described the enclosure design so you would see that isnt a problem. Steve has said they are found in areas with 100% humidity, so wouldn't that suggest to you that temperates are the problem? Hence why I was curious regarding supplemental heating.

I am wondering why you bother commenting in a thread when you don't have experiance keeping ackies outside and don't appear to know much about there requirements outside of what the general forum consensus is.

Has anyone tried and failed to keep ackies outside in western Sydney? Then how does anyone know they won't thrive? I know a guy keeping native green tree pythons outside all year round on the central coast queensland, that are thriving and breed every year but if someone posted a thread asking this the "experts" would say its not possible... Old world thinking.

That's why I'm looking into it, I agree with your way of thinking. There's such a strong pack mentality on forums like APS that as soon as someone reads something a so called APS "expert" says it becomes gospel and anything contrary to that opinion is completely impossible.

I think the biggest issue is overcoming the temperatures. I looked at climate data for Kalkaringi and temperatures are already nearing 40c during the day. So I would need to provide some fairly significant heating for it to be plausible.

mcloughlin2 as already stated that ackies might not be suitable, have you researched anything else that would cope better outside? Or can anyone post any alternatives to consider

Yes I have, to throw fuel on the fire most other species are from areas which are over the great dividing range, so typically from arid environments. However plenty of research and experimenting will be taking place before hand and there will be fall back plans if they look like they are not thriving. I already keep a few local species outside but want to push the boundaries.

I
I am wondering why you bother commenting in a thread when you don't have experiance keeping ackies outside and don't appear to know much about there requirements outside of what the general forum consensus is.

I am only trying to help.

Have you thought about installing a shed with installation to house your reptiles? Although that would also require some sort of cooling during summer.

Last edited:
The thought has crossed my mind and it's something I might look into more especially if I keep heading towards the "non Sydney" species like I have been!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back