First loss ... a GTP .... Dam that's painful !

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the only way to get experience is first reading up all you can and find out that every experienced snake keeper does things differently and they all say their way works . Then when you need to find out the answers to questions and ask on the forum nobody what's to tell you their secrets .... Do I have experience breeding snakes ? No ... But hopefully on the 14th dec my woma will have eggs in her hid box ... Yes I know it's a bit late but she mated a bit late ... If the eggs hatch then I will be a experienced snake breeder ... Have I kept GTP befor ? No but had a lot of help from a breeder setting them up ..... One is going great guns .... The other is dead . So I'm learning ... Making mistakes along the way but getting experience . Have a read on the snake ranch info on how may GTP died before he got it right ... Do I care if any of my snakes die ... Absolutely ... Do I try to prevent it ... Absolutely ... Do I need experience ? Well I won't get any if I don't have snakes ....

Don't worry mate no need too defend yourself over the internet. Sorry for your loss.

I understand it's hard but experience is gained in stages. Start by owning snakes and learning about their care requirements, diseases, illnesses, natural conditions they come from and everything else you could possibly learn. Perfect these things for a few years before you even consider breeding, especially breeding GTPs.

I got my first snakes (pair of MD's) when i was 8 years old, i'm now 22 and i have just bought my first pair of snakes which i intend to keep and learn about so that i can pair them next season. There is no reason to rush in a hobby like this, the most important thing is the welfare of the animals and that comes from research. IMO it is much better to find experienced people in the hobby to learn from and then get involved in the forums as well, don't rely on strangers in a forum to give you facts.

Hello Painted Python, I can see your heart is in the right place but as others have said you need to get experience in stages, just because you breed a snake does not make you more experienced than another keeper who does not breed. The key to keeping any animal is being able to interpret what they are telling you with their behavior. Womas are great snakes to breed and are really easy, having said that it took me three clutches to work out the correct humidity for the eggs to get a 100% hatch rate and forget hydrometers it is only by watching the eggs that you can tell if the humidity is correct. Long story short don't bite off more than you can chew because the outcome will not be pleasant. Good luck with the Womas and if you need any help send me a msg.
Cheers

Hello Painted Python, I can see your heart is in the right place but as others have said you need to get experience in stages, just because you breed a snake does not make you more experienced than another keeper who does not breed. The key to keeping any animal is being able to interpret what they are telling you with their behavior. Womas are great snakes to breed and are really easy, having said that it took me three clutches to work out the correct humidity for the eggs to get a 100% hatch rate and forget hydrometers it is only by watching the eggs that you can tell if the humidity is correct. Long story short don't bite off more than you can chew because the outcome will not be pleasant. Good luck with the Womas and if you need any help send me a msg.

Thanks Syxxx ...... I will take you up on your generous offer . I'm all for time in getting experience in breeding snakes , most of the snakes I bought as hatchlings so breeding wasn't even part of my plan . I had snakes about 7 years ago but got out of them when I restored a valiant charger . I thought 2 1/2 years of raising them should of been plenty of time to really get to know all you can before the next stage so I wasn't in it for the money side of things . The only reason I got the Womas was I was made a offer that I couldn't pass up and the same as the GTP ... Having them for a year before breeding I thought was important and may I say again my female GTP is in good health .. As far as I can see and eats very well , I sent some pic's to a GTP breeder and he was very impressed on how well she looked . But when it comes down to experience how many breeders will say ... " come over to my home once a week and help out in cleaning my GTP enclosure's and ill show you what to look for when a snake is sick and how to keep the humidity up etc " ... The best experience is hands on ... I live on the north side of Brisbane and would be happy to take up any offers of being taught . But again thanks for your offer for sharing your experience if there were more people like yourself there would be a lot more people enjoying having snakes .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back