Getting an Central Bearded Dragon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptiles101

Reaction score
I've made my decision, and I'm going to get a Central Bearded Dragon and have a few question's about caring for one...

(1). Is a 4ft melamine (120x60x50cm) an appropriate sized tank for one?

(2). What kind of heat lamp will I need and what wattage?

(3). I know I need an Exo Terra 10.0 Uv tube, but what wattage do I need?

(4). The tank doesn't come with any fittings, so I have to make a little trip to Bunnings, what sized UV batten do I need for a 4ft tank?

(5). Do I need bayonet or screw in battens for the basking lamp?

(6). Is washed play sand from Bunnings a good substrate?

thanks, :)

1. Might want to section it off at the start because you don't want a little hatchy running a muck in a massive enclosure. - But that is entirely up to you. It's a good size enclosure.
2. I use Phillips bulbs from bunnings for my heat. They're really cheap and last longer than any 'Reptile Basking Bulb' I use 60 watt, but the wattage is entirely dependent on distance from the basking spot. So you can fiddle around with that a tad until you get it right.
3+4. You don't necessary need Exo Terra branded UV lighting. I personally am currently using Trixie T8 UV Fluorescent bulbs in my enclosures. The wattage is dependent on the length, so in a 4ft melamine enclolsure you could try to fit a 4ft long fluro fitting, however, a 2ft long fitting on the same side as the basking bulb should be sufficient, as long as the animal can get within 30cm from the bulb.
5. Bayonet or screw fittings will work with the bulbs i suggested, Phillips makes both variants. I use bayonet fittings purely because they're cheaper.
6. Washed play sand will be a good substrate, just be careful about feeding on the sand because it can cause impaction.

I've made my decision, and I'm going to get a Central Bearded Dragon and have a few question's about caring for one...
great decision , they are great very interactive and quirky pets who are full of character. Suggest you get it at about 6 - 8 weeks old so it can imprint on you better)..

(1). Is a 4ft melamine (120x60x50cm) an appropriate sized tank for one?
yep about right, I wouldn't use melamine though.

(2). What kind of heat lamp will I need and what wattage?
mvb 80 - 100W is highly recommended , on a timer not a dimmer or thermostat.

(3). I know I need an Exo Terra 10.0 Uv tube, but what wattage do I need?
only if you dont get a mvb , personally I'd use 26w 10.0uvb cfbs,less bother unstalling.

(4). The tank doesn't come with any fittings, so I have to make a little trip to Bunnings, what sized UV batten do I need for a 4ft tank?

(5). Do I need bayonet or screw in battens for the basking lamp?
e27 all ceramic for mvb or any heat lamp, you'll also need to insulate the top of the tank from the very hot fitting - fire hazard otherwize.

(6). Is washed play sand from Bunnings a good substrate?

thanks, :)
some beardie owner have the beardies on play sand, imo there's a risk of impaction with younger beardies.

You could have a sandy zone the food dish (for greens and fruit and veg) never go into.

if your getting a juvenile i wouldn't put the beardie on sand to start with, their messy eaters when young, i waited till mine were 20cm long before i put them on sand. but its completely up to you.

Thanks guys, all your information has been very helpful...I'm going to put him/her on newspaper until I think he/she is ready to go onto sand.

1. Might want to section it off at the start because you don't want a little hatchy running a muck in a massive enclosure. - But that is entirely up to you. It's a good size enclosure.
2. I use Phillips bulbs from bunnings for my heat. They're really cheap and last longer than any 'Reptile Basking Bulb' I use 60 watt, but the wattage is entirely dependent on distance from the basking spot. So you can fiddle around with that a tad until you get it right.
3+4. You don't necessary need Exo Terra branded UV lighting. I personally am currently using Trixie T8 UV Fluorescent bulbs in my enclosures. The wattage is dependent on the length, so in a 4ft melamine enclolsure you could try to fit a 4ft long fluro fitting, however, a 2ft long fitting on the same side as the basking bulb should be sufficient, as long as the animal can get within 30cm from the bulb.
5. Bayonet or screw fittings will work with the bulbs i suggested, Phillips makes both variants. I use bayonet fittings purely because they're cheaper.
6. Washed play sand will be a good substrate, just be careful about feeding on the sand because it can cause impaction.

I agree with putting a baby or juvenile beardie into a smaller area enclosure or even a mega tub (about 130 - 150L) to start off , or perhaps feeding the little dragon in a tub. It'll come to associate being handled by you (to go into the feedng tub) nice things - like food.

A lot of breeders sware by silkworms as a staple for baby and juvenile beardies, they are an excellent food with lots of benefits (dietary) if you can find a supply and have access to a mulberry tree (for the worm food) you wont go wrong.

Will make it easier the dragon to find it's live food and less likely for it's food to escape it.

Last edited:
yep thats a good decision mate. To be honest I have had mine on newspaper its whole life so far. On the warm side I had a ceramic tile that will hold the heat nice for it. Sand looks way better though. But yeah its up to you but keep him off sand until he is at least 6 months old

Yeah I was going to feed my new little buddy in a separate tub so he can find he's food easier, then put him back in his tank, do u think I could block off a bit of the tank, so it's smaller?

you could but its a lot of trouble. Also you will find that when they are young they will eat a lot and poop a lot so newspaper will be better for you. Sand you can spot clean but the sand still retains moisture and odour. (In my opinion)

Ok thanks Grogshla, think I'll stick with the newspaper idea.

Yeah I was going to feed my new little buddy in a separate tub so he can find he's food easier, then put him back in his tank, do u think I could block off a bit of the tank, so it's smaller?

Pretty easy to do (as a temporary measure). Only will make it harder to maintain a good thermal gradient (which is dependent on air circulation within the enclosure - I'm sure it's doable).

- - - Updated - - -

Ok thanks Grogshla, think I'll stick with the newspaper idea.
Scot towel (2 or 3 layers is very absorbant) and has no potentially toxic ink all over it). My BTS have a scot towel zone and a fun kritters' crumble zone. Not sure if kritters' crumble is OK for beardies.

Where can I get that stuff from lizardwhisperer?

Can u guys show me some of your Bearded Dragon set ups so I can get a good idea on how to space things out?

Where can I get that stuff from lizardwhisperer?

Can u guys show me some of your Bearded Dragon set ups so I can get a good idea on how to space things out?
scot towel , check your pantry, it's just absorbant paper towel that everyone uses evryday around the kitchen or the shed.

I just knick a roll from my wife's stash in the pantry.

or are you asking about mvbs , cfbs and all ceramic e27 fittings ?
check out some of the sponsores, or Ebay or gumtree or petpages.

Just a word of warning from experience - buying cheap mvbs, cfbs or other "hardware" is often a false economy as many "no-brand" products are cheap and nasty chinese knockoffs and the quality control is lousey, so they don't work properly, or die fast or are dangerous.

Last edited:
great decision , they are great very interactive and quirky pets who are full of character. Suggest you get it at about 6 - 8 weeks old so it can imprint on you better

A bearded dragon does not have the ability to form any sort of bond with a particular human. Reptiles either tolerate handling or don't, beardies usually do but they don't imprint on their owners. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back