NSW pet shop with reptiles.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RSPcrazy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I was just in a local pet shop at Kellyville today. Thought I would check out all the reptiles, as I haven't seen them in shops yet.

I was impressed with the amount of reptiles and the natural looking setups. But I wasn't happy to see quite a few of them didn't have any hides and some hatchlings were housed together. One hatchling jungle in particular caught my eye, by how much it was freaking out (wedged itself on the background and was breathing very fast) in its massive glass enclosure, with no hides, just some fake shrubs.

I was also blown away by the price of the animals.
Bearded dragons $600.
Hatchling children's $329.
Hatchling jungles $399

Here comes the funny part though. I ended up speaking to a random couple, who were also blown away by the price of there children's. I happened to mention that I sell them for $120 and BOOM, I just made an accidental sale.

I am always interested to hear how much petshops are selling their reps for.
There is a new shop in the ACT that was recently fined $1250 for selling reptiles illegally.
This same pet shop now sells emaciated adult Eastern Bluetongues for $120 and $150 for adult Eastern Beardies in the same condition.

This is not very different from the situtation with dogs. If you want an appropriately-priced dog and to see parents, you go to a breeder. If you are willing to take a bit of a chance, you rescue a dog (ballot anyone?!). If you buy from a pet shop you will pay a premium. You may get a great animal, but no bargains and without the history a breeder provides.

Its not a bad thing that they are selling their reptiles for a high price as long as i dont have to pay it ,kellyville is credit card country ,wont hurt them.

Funny how people forget...shops have to earn a living. Wages, Rent etc....

$600 for a beardie? Is that a typo?
$120 to $150 I could understand but $600 is highway robbery!

Funny how people forget...shops have to earn a living. Wages, Rent etc....

I understand that fully, but it is still a shock when you have never been to a pet shop that sells reptiles.
I have a hard enough time selling some reptiles for almost a quarter of there prices, so it baffles me how they can sell them for these prices.

- - - Updated - - -

$600 for a beardie? Is that a typo?
$120 to $150 I could understand but $600 is highway robbery!

No, you read that right, $600. I've only ever bought hatchlings for $50 and adults for $100, $150 if they are yellow or red phase. The beardie prices were what shocked me the most.

Wow I need to start breeding them again.
I used to sell them for $50 to $60 each, cheaper for multiples, and they were high coloured. Considering clutch sizes, they would be making a mint from them.

The hatchies at Narellan were only $120 I think.

Was there anything special about them or were they just plain old centrals?
Surely that wont last long once people start researching them ;)

Wow I need to start breeding them again.
I used to sell them for $50 to $60 each, cheaper for multiples, and they were high coloured. Considering clutch sizes, they would be making a mint from them.

The hatchies at Narellan were only $120 I think.

Was there anything special about them or were they just plain old centrals?
Surely that wont last long once people start researching them ;)

That price was for adult yellow phase.

I actually think the pet shops are doing the right thing by charging more, especially in those ranges.
The way I see it is they are stopping impulse buying. If a kid walks in and finds a beardie, whinges at mum/dad that they want it, the parent looks it's only $50 then why not get it to shut the kid up, they then put it in something inadequate as they didn't stop due to the price and do proper research, the beardie dies, oh well it was only $50.
If the parent sees it is $500 then you can guarantee the little brat wont get the thing and the parents will actually put a little bit of effort into what it needs as they have a lot more $$$ to lose if the thing dies.
Experienced keepers will know breeders and to buy from a breeder rather than pet shops unless they really trust the shop.

So I applaud the shops for pushing the market up in store (plus what Fay said they have to make money)

The problem with any adult (lizards, monitors or snakes) is you don't know how old they really are and what kind of conditions they have been previously in, or if they are old breeding stock.

Beardies have a short lifespan compared to other reptiles, imagine forking out $600 for one to have it die 12 to 18 months down the track maybe even earlier :/

I'm not saying its a dodgy shop or anything, its just an extremely high price with alot of risk.

Yeah must say I went to a pet shop and had a look at a few snakes and enclosures. After doing some research went back in 2weeks later and spent over $1200. Keeping in mind I bought the enclosure from elsewhere.

Ignorance is bliss, the fact I spent over $1200 at a pet shop has got nothing to do with researh

I go to the pet shop at kellyville quite a lot to use the dog wash machine there.
I did see that adult bearded dragon that is way over priced but I was more shocked about tiny the enclosure they had it in.
It gives customers the wrong idea about what size enclosure they should really be keeping them in.
"If the pet store did it, it must be fine" mentality

As Kellyville has been mentioned I will add Extreme Pets to the thread and say that they Do have the adults of quite a few of the animals for sale on display .Nancy and Daniel are very approachable and if the parents are not there they probably have pics on their phones . The prices are reasonable and the enclosures , as with Kellyville, all comply with the regulations ( they are inspected often ) . When buying the animal I am sure that you would be told the correct info for housing size !!

give these guys a break they have been in the herp game longer than most of us and are doing a GREAT job at bringing the hoby to the people
and good for them their job is doing something that was their hoby ,, and how many of us are jealous of that theory !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back