Does anyone feed their knobtail a pinkie before breeding?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RileysGeckos

Reaction score
Hay guys just wondering if anyone feeds their knobtails geckos a pinkie mice before breeding to fatten them up and after first clutch to fatten them up to go again?
cheers riley

Never had geks, but I know of people who sometimes give pickie mice to their skinks and dragons.
ONLY SUITABLE AS A VERY RARE TREAT - they have extremely high fat content.

On the basis of that - it's probably not a good idea to give them pickie mice other than straight away after laying a clutch of eggs. You should seek the advice of a good reptile vet on this IMO.

I'd be scared of the long term consequences - suffering and premature death due to fatty liver disease.

Using one or two to condition them for laying or to get a bit of condition into them after laying will cause no problem at all.Really nothing to be scared of at all.

Many breeders use pinkies for the reasons suggested with great results, just as long as they aren't used as a staple the gecko's will be fine.

Cheers Josh

Pinkies are a great way to keep condition on breeding females, especially after laying eggs and also in preparation for breeding. Replenishing calcium and nutrients is important.
Most of my levis females eat pinkies even the sub-adults, and have had no problems with them. As GeckoJosh has said, do not use them as a staple in the diet. And as Mark (Ramsayi) has stated, there is nothing to be worried about. Moderation is the key.

Mine ate a pinky afew months ago... Just a big poop, nothing bad happened.

sorry to butt in, are these live or dead pinkies? (nothing to do with starting a 'live feeding' debate, i just cant imagine my gex taking anything dead)

Will they readily eat a pinky?

The vast majority go nuts over them,the occasional one wont touch them.

sorry to butt in, are these live or dead pinkies? (nothing to do with starting a 'live feeding' debate, i just cant imagine my gex taking anything dead)

They take dead ones if you offer them on tweezers.

Many breeders use pinkies for the reasons suggested with great results, just as long as they aren't used as a staple the gecko's will be fine.

Cheers Josh
would this be the same as feeding a small pinky to thick-tailed Geckos or are they to small to handle a pinky ?

Like others have stated its ok as a rare treat. I feed my female leopard geckos one after they lay a clutch. I dip there head in calcium powder if there calcium sacks are get low. Laying eggs takes a huge toll on reptiles, especially geckos. My first year breeding my leopards one of my females damn near had a calcium crash. Sense then I have fead them a pink and there calcium reserves stay nice and plentiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back