Living together

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caleb96

Reaction score
Hey Guys, i know i will probably get some people having a go at me about this post but I'm considering housing my tow Diamond Intergrades together.
They are roughly the same size and get on well when both in the same enclosure together iv tried breeding them before but nothing ever happened no real signs of interest in breeding but they would get on really well.
My only concern is feeding time i no you have to separate them at feed time if there living together but how do you do this? Do you put them both into a separate tub or can you leave one in the enclosure to feed and one in a tub out side the enclosure to feed?
I'll also be putting a grown basking spot and there branch basking spot ill have a couple of hides so they can get away from one another if wanted and just the one water bowl.
It would be much appreciated if you guys could help :)

Cheers Caleb.

Easiest way to avoid feeding bites is simple
Make the hides so that you can close them
Feed both and pop the first one finished into a hide and close it off
Open it next day

Another way is a clear divider that you can slip in and out of your viv
Feed one at each end and pop the divider between them

i know not alot about housing the snake together but i would put them in two different tubs for feeding or you can leave one in but it might become cage aggressive as it thinks u will be feeding it when u put your hands in hope i helped.

Or could you just put them into two separate tubs then sit those tubs in the enclosure then after they have eaten give them an hour or so and pop the lid off one and then pop the lid of the other like 15 to 20 minutes after?

- - - Updated - - -

Also thanks for your reply slowwy :)

Caleb.

i keep alot of pythons housed togther and have done so for years, diamonds are known to be the best pythons to be housed together.

i always feed mine separate, either one in the enclosure and one in a feeding tub i try to keep them separate for 24 hours so they are not in feeding mode wen i pop them back in, it reduces the risk of me getting a feeding response bite and them biting each other over being able to smell food.

Or could you just put them into two separate tubs then sit those tubs in the enclosure then after they have eaten give them an hour or so and pop the lid off one and then pop the lid of the other like 15 to 20 minutes after?

- - - Updated - - -

Also thanks for your reply slowwy :)

Caleb.
that should be fine there in different tubs so should be okay :)

Okay :) thanks heaps guys :) i will try it out and see how they go together and then ill be able to decide next feed whether there capable together or not :) as you said that you like to keep yours apart for 24hrs after feeding i might try and see how they are a couple of hours after feeding and if there aggressive ill leave them for the 24hr period if there fine ill try put them back together :)

Or you could just do what you know you should be doing and have separate enclosures.
It's very simple. Your just making it hard.
If you can't afford to house your pets properly then you should consider down sizing.

Or you could just do what you know you should be doing and have separate enclosures.
It's very simple. Your just making it hard.
If you can't afford to house your pets properly then you should consider down sizing.
i totally get what your saying but why cant he house his to snake together people house lizards together (don't keep snakes so im just asking )

Mate if you have nothing helpful to say don't bother at all i actually have them in two separate enclosures atm but they get along so well together i want to try and house them together as i want to put my blue tongues into the 4x2x2 that the female is in :) so i can afford to house them properly i just want to house them together.

even though yours are diamond intergrades, diamonds are found in the wild sharing the same brumating spot, sharing hides and looking for food in the same area.

many people house diamonds together out of all pythons diamonds are less likely to attack each other.

snowy pythons and lizards are very different, some pythons tend to fight wen food is around and also may try to eat each other even if its just a male and female in the one enclosure.

It's a risk that you have to be prepared to take. Snakes eat snakes...
I've also had a mate keep a bearded dragon with a water dragon and came home one day and saw the bottom half of the water dragon hanging out of the bearded dragons mouth.
Both died.

At the end of the day we know how to house them we just get greedy and want more for the price of one.

People are just asking for approval to do what they know is wrong. But if some random on the Internet said I can do it then its their fault when it all goes wrong.

And i understand what your saying there but iv read that a lot of people house there diamonds together and never have had a problem this isn't just one random on the internet saying this theirs many of people saying it and i actually read it off a couple of posts on APS.

It's a risk that you have to be prepared to take. Snakes eat snakes...

At the end of the day we know how to house them we just get greedy and want more for the price of one.

People are just asking for approval to do what they know is wrong.

Many experienced keepers have kept snakes together for years without any dramas
It is NOT wrong to do this
BUT it may not be advisable for inexperienced keepers
There are slight risks attached but there is also the joy of watching the interaction between them

Some snakes do eat other snakes especially water pythons womas and black heads
Most other pythons couldnt care less and definitely prefer rodents or birds

At the present time I have retics burmese mangroves chondros vines vipers and rats quite happily living in an aviary together
None of them has ever had a go as far as I know
All are feeding
All seem to interact in different ways

Why?
Do you think your snakes get lonely? They dont.
I think a lot of times people do things for their benefit when the snake gets nothing out of it. People get their reptiles out and handle them for no reason other than for their benefit, others will cross breed snakes without any benefit to the snake, you could even say that keeping them in a box is for our benefit and the snakes get nothing out of it. I think that is what the hobby is about making it how you want it to be without hurting your animal and if done correctly housing snakes together will not end in disaster.

I think a lot of times people do things for their benefit when the snake gets nothing out of it. People get their reptiles out and handle them for no reason other than for their benefit, others will cross breed snakes without any benefit to the snake, you could even say that keeping them in a box is for our benefit and the snakes get nothing out of it. I think that is what the hobby is about making it how you want it to be without hurting your animal and if done correctly housing snakes together will not end in disaster.

Its a risk. Zoos do it. Guess what? Zoos dont tell people when a snake gets eaten. Its a risk you're taking for no discernible benefit. Other than to make you feel warm and fuzzy, I mean.

Its a risk. Zoos do it. Guess what? Zoos dont tell people when a snake gets eaten. Its a risk you're taking for no discernible benefit. Other than to make you feel warm and fuzzy, I mean.

Have you ever kept pythons together and had one eaten the other or alternatively seen it with your own eyes? The risk is very much overstated and there have been countless debates on here about it and the end result is usually the same. Plenty of people keep pythons together year round with no problems and plenty of people say the risk is too great. The difference is the people who tend to go on about the risk have absolutely zero experience in the matter except being trained by the other non experienced forum experts.

EDIT: It wouldn't make sense for a zoo to take any risk if it were high enough to be seriously concerned over especially if the end result were one animal killing another. It's bad publicity and zoos rely on good publicity to make their money.

Many experienced keepers have kept snakes together for years without any dramas
It is NOT wrong to do this
BUT it may not be advisable for inexperienced keepers
There are slight risks attached but there is also the joy of watching the interaction between them

Some snakes do eat other snakes especially water pythons womas and black heads
Most other pythons couldnt care less and definitely prefer rodents or birds

At the present time I have retics burmese mangroves chondros vines vipers and rats quite happily living in an aviary together
None of them has ever had a go as far as I know
All are feeding
All seem to interact in different ways

this^^

I know a few breeders that house pairs year round with no dramas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back