Living together

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever kept pythons together and had one eaten the other or alternatively seen it with your own eyes? The risk is very much overstated and there have been countless debates on here about it and the end result is usually the same. Plenty of people keep pythons together year round with no problems and plenty of people say the risk is too great. The difference is the people who tend to go on about the risk have absolutely zero experience in the matter except being trained by the other non experienced forum experts.

EDIT: It wouldn't make sense for a zoo to take any risk if it were high enough to be seriously concerned over especially if the end result were one animal killing another. It's bad publicity and zoos rely on good publicity to make their money.

How do you think it gets out when captive snakes eat each other? You think zoos tell people? Private breeders tell people? Just like if you ask kevin rudd, the labor party never made any mistakes. Believe the hype, mcloughlin..

Hell, theres another post in this thread where rats and snakes live together in garden of eden like harmony. I'm going to save space and have my fancy rats and colubrids all in the same enclosre. I'll let you know if it goes well.

How do you think it gets out when captive snakes eat each other? You think zoos tell people? Private breeders tell people? Just like if you ask kevin rudd, the labor party never made any mistakes. Believe the hype, mcloughlin..

Hell, theres another post in this thread where rats and snakes live together in garden of eden like harmony. I'm going to save space and have my fancy rats and colubrids all in the same enclosre. I'll let you know if it goes well.

LOL :) I'm pretty sure Longqi was talking about rat snakes.

I don't think there's a problem with keeping certain snakes together. I have been keeping a couple together for years without issue.

People will do what they want to do regardless. I've never kept snakes together and that's just a personal choice. I love my snakes and would be devistated if anything happened to them especially if it was due to a choice I made. I don't see any benefits to the snake by housing them together. It just seems like a lot of unnecessary angst for me without benefit. Despite how big or little the risk is, it is still a risk. But to each their own.

I love it when the inexperienced google experts give out advise about things they clearly know nothing about.... Lol

- - - Updated - - -

All snakes have the capability to kill each other even the most experienced keepers still can't watch the snakes 24/7 if you have 2 enclosures already I would leave them separate because it is easier for inexperienced keepers to monitor poo out put and health issues ect when separate but in saying that I house and feed all expect one pair of my snakes together with no problems, expect for bhps which is generally a big risk most others are fine together. Also unless they are 110% proven sexed snakes I wouldn't risk it, I once brought a "proven" pair of mds that were fine until breeding season when the both turned out to be male.

Last edited:
Not arguing or debating...I'm just wondering ok!

There was a Mike Rowe episode of Dirty Jobs where he went to a snake ranch to help clean the enclosures.
One of the enclosures was a rattle snake pit that housed easily over 30 snakes. Now the snake ranch only had a handful of staff so I'm just wondering how do you go about feeding all these snakes in one pit?
I honestly couldn't imagine the staff constantly putting these rattlers in separate containers every feeding time.

Why?
Do you think your snakes get lonely? They dont.

29956_1474182579081_4764328_n.jpg

""Bloody mongrels want to split us up
Who can I watch The Simpsons with now??
What ya reckon we both stop eating if they do?"""

Lived together 9++ years
Zero dramas
Neither would eat if separated

We have a lot to learn yet about reptiles

29956_1474182579081_4764328_n.jpg

""Bloody mongrels want to split us up
Who can I watch The Simpsons with now??
What ya reckon we both stop eating if they do?"""

Lived together 9++ years
Zero dramas
Neither would eat if separated

We have a lot to learn yet about reptiles
What sex are these two and have they bred either with each other or with other snakes?

Well said mcloughlin2 :)

- - - Updated - - -

Where not talking about politics or rats and snakes living together mate, where talking about housing two snakes of the same species together.
And just to let yous all know i did the enclosure up today and put them together, and there both happily curled up in the cold hide together.
Ps.. the blue tongues are also loving there new setup in the 4x2x2 :)

Caleb.

What sex are these two and have they bred either with each other or with other snakes?

There were actually 4 bredli and a jungle living together for most of that time
3 females and 2 males
Never wanted to breed them because apart from temperament they were just normal looking snakes
with no beneficial breeding potential
So I never cooled them
Jungle did breed eventually with another jungle with nice markings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back