Would you buy this book?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you buy a book of stories about a snake catcher?

• Yes

Votes: 25 58.1%
  • No

Votes: 18 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on who it is about.
If it is about a well respected high profile catcher/keeper then possibly.
If it is about a self proclaimed high profile catcher/keeper that has lost all respect from the community, then no....

Definitely NOT about the 2nd one!!!

I understand people are a bit frustrated at not being told details about the book, but I can't break forum rules re advertising. I am trying to gauge general interest in the project, and this can then be used as a tool to promote it to publishers. Outside of a few niche publishers, books about reptiles are very hard to get out to the market. And this project has the potential to reach a wider audience, which is good for our hobby and our passion for herps.

I’m no mod but I don’t see naming the individual as advertising. If you’re using this thread for market research it would likely give you much more meaningful answers. I personally won’t answer the survey without knowing who the person is and I imagine I’m not the only one

I am confused by a number of posts in this thread but to answer the original question: yes.

Whether it be informative or entertaining, I personally would be interested in purchasing a nice glossy hard cover book with full page photos of [snake catcher] out on site. I'm sure he would have a lot to tell.

Amazingly I managed to come to that conclusion without requiring more info :shock:

Edit: I have been informed as to why people have been wary and I understand now. Glad that it's not going to be a book about one of those oxygen thieves :)

Last edited:
I’m no mod but I don’t see naming the individual as advertising. If you’re using this thread for market research it would likely give you much more meaningful answers. I personally won’t answer the survey without knowing who the person is and I imagine I’m not the only one

Completely understand your position saximus. However, I ran this past the Admin team before it was posted and I've been asked to speak only about the project in general terms. And I completely respect this request as being fair to those who are paid advertisers on the forum. I will say the subject of the book project is very well respected as a herp personality, has quite a high profile in the media and online, and - importantly - has never been in court for illegal activities.

I would like to read a book about stories of field herping as an entertaining book.

To be honest, not a book I'd buy. I'd be more likely to YouTube this topic.
Good luck in your endeavours though, I hope it's a success for you

Hello again. I'm pleased to say a publisher has just contacted me today to say they would like to take up this book project. I won't say any more, except that it will have great stories and some of the most stunning herp photography you have every seen.

My thanks to those of you who voted and added comments. Your feedback was very useful in pitching this project to publishers.

If anyone would like more details, feel free to now PM me.

And, in line with forum rules, I will put up a single link to the publisher's website when the book is available, should people want to buy it.

Thanks again guys!

"some of the most stunning herp photography you have ever seen" is a very big call! Is there anywhere we can get a glimpse of this photography?

If there's pictures of interesting herps found in the wild and photographed than I'm all for it, but if it's photos of posed captives or animals gotten on callouts than I have no interest at all.
Also if it's story after story of just brown snake, carpet python and tree snake callouts than I don't see it being a very interesting book.

Interesting hope the person is not in Queensland. As if they are selling the book it comes under profiteering that is illegal. Even filming/ photography (for media including YouTube) is a grey area as if they are wild snakes ( eg damage MIT collected) the manipulation is not required. The media unit from EPA needs to approve the publication to make it legal. It is stipulated whenever possible the public is not to view snake catching.

As as for the photography claim .... Well I am with aspid on this

Interesting hope the person is not in Queensland. As if they are selling the book it comes under profiteering that is illegal. Even filming/ photography (for media including YouTube) is a grey area as if they are wild snakes ( eg damage MIT collected) the manipulation is not required. The media unit from EPA needs to approve the publication to make it legal. It is stipulated whenever possible the public is not to view snake catching.

As as for the photography claim .... Well I am with aspid on this

has it ever been enforced? I think we all know a snake catcher in queensland that uploads on you tube and has been doing it for years.

There was someone charged and convicted this yr for wildlife harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back