Breeding Crickets?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReptileMad_98

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Is it a good idea to breed your own crickets or is it better to buy them from my local reptile shop?

as much as ive read breeding crickets can be bit of hit and miss,
their quite noisy and only have a short life dying at about 6-8 weeks I think
your better option would be breed woodies! they are so easy, buy a whole lot, chuck them into a bug tube with a hole in the lid, cover with wire mesh, a heat cord, only needed if you want them to breed faster, put in some egg cartons, some carrot every few days, done!
:)

woodies may be easier to breed but the poos are really disgusting , crickets smell but we fed ours woodies for a while and SWMBO refused to do any cleaning !!

I'd also recommend the woodie route.

I purchased about 400 adult crickets and some young ones from ARC, put them in their tubs...

Let me tell you...there's nothing more gross or smelly than a cricket orgy!
I let them all free because I was so revolted by them after about two days!
Woodies are SO much better

Last edited:
woodies may be easier to breed but the poos are really disgusting , crickets smell but we fed ours woodies for a while and SWMBO refused to do any cleaning !!

not sure if you mean woodies poo? as I find it looks almost like dust and they don't smell at all (mine are kept in my room and I think the frogs have more odor haha) , well mine don't, I started with about 500 and now I have so many babys I cant get rid of them all haha

no the lizard poo after they eat the crickets / and woodies

Try silkworms using chow.
Sent from my C625b using Board Express

Been feeding crickets, roaches and mealworms to my geckos for years and I don't think the poo smells bad at all. Breeding crickets is complicated. You need lots of space (to avoid the cricket orgies), right humidity (particularly for the young ones), right temperatures and correct substrate/feed/water setup. I can take you through any questions you have just PM me but yeah go for woodies theyre far easier to breed and maintain. People say they thrive on neglect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back